Charcuterie [Food/Vendor]

2014 Feb 4
Hey folks, we are heading to a dinner on Saturday and we are supposed to bring an appetizer. I'm liking the idea of some meats, cheeses and maybe a terrine, something like that. I was a little stumped when I saw that the Piggy Market is closed for a bit and the Seed to Sausage store hasn't opened yet.

Any ideas for a spot to grab some local meats and cheeses?

2014 Feb 4
The Grobe If you would really like Seed to Sausage products the Metro store in the Glebe carries a few of their products at the deli counter. And I "think" they had some Fifth Town cheeses when I was there over the Christmas holidays. That particular store really seems to be promoting local products. And there is a Nicastros nearby that has a nice selection of cheeses and deli meats although not necessarily local.

The Bagel Shop had some Glengarry cheeses on my last visit in early January and I think they had some smoked salmon in the refrigerator near the bagels. (I work in the area but confess I have been spending most of my time at Parma Ravioli these days... And Herb and Spice for groceries.)

Jacobsens on Beechwood has lots of artisinal cheeses and so forth.

The House of Cheese in the Byward Market has a nice selection of pâtés and cheeses and the nearby International Cheese store has quite a few Quebec cheeses. The Sausage Kitchen has some deli meats and the ones at the back of the deli counter are made in-house apparently.

2014 Feb 4
I've pieced together some decent charcuterie platters at Metro in a pinch, they do have some decent cheeses and jellies/spreads.

If you are close to the Quebec side (or close to it), you can check out La Trappe a Fromage, they have great local products

2014 Feb 4
My husband and I have had some very interesting cheese from Serious Cheese www.seriouscheese.com They are on Hazeldean road in Kanata, so a bit of a drive but they have great stuff! They have lots of Canadian cheese, not sure about their local products.

2014 Feb 4
Ive done many Charcuterie plates and my to go place is Luciano on Preston. Great service and quality meats. Just tell them that you want to do a Charcuterie plate and they will help you choose whats best. I did a plate during the holiday for 15 people and it cost around 40$.

2014 Feb 5
Ñicastros on bank and 3rd has one of the best selections of charcuterie and cheese around. I'm not sure of the brand but the terrines they carry are terrific. They also have a pretty sexy espresso machine.

2014 Feb 5
I find the Bottega also has a good selection of salumi.