Kid Friendly Restaurant [General]

2007 Oct 16
I am so grateful for all the answers and solutions to my different questions posted here. I have a another question. Does anybody know any nice restaurant in town that is kid-friendly?

Thanks a bunch (in advance)!

2007 Oct 16
I can tell you that Pub Italia is NOT.

Where abouts do you live though? That might help.

Hmmmm, should that be a 'tag' in 'buzz'? Or is it already?

2007 Oct 16
I am at the downtown area, but the restaurant can be either in Little Italy, Westboro or centretown....It is for a birthday (in-law's ) but little nephews (both less than 5 years old) will be there too...

Thanks!

2007 Oct 16
Well, sometimes kid friendly is not always great food...

The restaurants that are more kid friendly are:
Any big chinese restaurant (because it is very family oriented),
The Works (in Westboro),
Barley Mow (on Bank),

This is because they have stuff for the kids to be distracted with while you eat. Also, the waiting staff seem to be a bit more trained to deal with loud kids. But the Barley Mow does not have a baby change table,

2007 Oct 16
I'll bet your nephews would love Tuckers Marketplace. It's a buffet style restaurant with food to please kids and adults alike. I took my youngest niece there when she was 12 and she was doing cartwheels when she saw all that food to eat! And the ice cream bar is always popular with the kids. I could also recommend Zak's Diner also in the market. They have alot of kid friendly food but the portions are really big so if they are toddlers they could probably share some of the food from their parents plate. Can't remember if they have a kids menu. If you are looking for somewhere in the Westboro/Westboro Village/Hintonburg area there is the Wonton House on Wellington. Not sure if your nephews would be interested in Indian food but there is also Moni Mahal on Laurier near Elgin. If they might like Mexican food Ahora might be a good place to try as well. And of course there is the old standby The Colonnade on Metcalfe. If you are interested in venturing as far east as Vanier there is also Dubarry's. There is also a Local Heroes in Ottawa South just south of the Billings Bridge plaza. If I think of anywhere else I'll let you know...

2007 Oct 16
Fil's Diner in Hintonburg.
John's Quick Lunch in Hintonburg (or "Wellington Village" if you are haughty-taughty)

2007 Oct 16
Hey who you calling haughty taughty!? Just kiddin'.... Just occurred to me there is also The Table on Wellington and the Yanghze in Chinatown.

2007 Oct 17
I think that having a 'tag' for kid friendly is a really good idea.

Perhaps we should quantify what "kid friendly" means:

has a child menu
toys available
not too fussy
baby change table
waiting staff with a sense of humour...

anything else?

2007 Oct 17
As a parent of 3 year-olds, I also see the value in knowing which restaurants are kid friendly. However, that's a pretty complicated list of requirements and "friendly" is highly subjective. Tags should not be subjective.

I already have a tag for "Kids menu" which I think pretty much covers what you want and doesn't required any judgment. After all, if a place has a kids menu then they should expect kids to eat there. I think that's as close to "kid friendly" as we can get without subjectivity.

2007 Oct 17
Ahh, I didn't notice (read: look for) the "kids menu" tag. THat does it.

another one for "kid friendly" would be having high chairs and booster seats.

2007 Oct 17
"kids menu" tag
thanks!

2007 Oct 18
Thank you (again!) for the amazing suggestions! We are still deciding where to go but I'll remember to use the 'kids menu' tag for when nephews are in town again...