peameal back bacon [General]

2013 Dec 20
Hello. I will be visiting Ottawa (downtown area) for a few days and was hoping to find a store that sells peameal back bacon. I cannot find it anywhere in Montreal. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2013 Dec 21
Does it matter if it's fancy-pants peameal bacon? I believe that I've seen it at almost every Loblaws store I've been in.

2013 Dec 21
I've seen it at Costco.

2013 Dec 21
I am not sure what you mean by fancypants peameal back bacon. I am looking for the back bacon coated in peameal - I know it's really coarse cornmeal- hopefully in a big piece that I can slice myself.

2013 Dec 21
Was just at the beckwith butcher in carleton place and they had a whack of it.

2013 Dec 21
Where will you be staying? Are you looking for a place that sells it mear to where you are staying? Or do you have a car available to you?

2013 Dec 21
Saslove's has it. I suspect they have it at both locations but they definitely do at the Wellington St. (at Clarendon) location. The other location is in the Byward Market.

If you're in the west end, the Butchery in Bell Corner's carries it too.

I suspect a lot of proper butchers in Ottawa will have it.

2013 Dec 22
Peameal bacon is harder to find in centretown than you would think... Loblaws on Rideau Street has it. I don't recall seeing it at the Sasloves in the Byward Market so you might want to call ahead of time to ask. (Or just pop in if you are wandering around the neighbourhood.) If you don't mind a short drive or bus ride The Piggy Market in Westboro might have some but I think they are closing for renovations soon if they haven't already. The only place I have seen it in abundance is in Toronto if you don't mind taking a detour-;)

2013 Dec 22
Maybe you are just looking for the wrong thing because it is called "back bacon" gawddammit!

2013 Dec 23
Glebe Meat Market always has it.