Gusto TV [General]

2013 Dec 7
Dear fellow foodies, it is my pleasure to inform you that on December 11 we will be launching Gusto TV - Canada's newest food & lifestyle channel featuring some of the best food & cooking shows from home and around the world. We're crazy excited to bring Canadian food lovers new programs never before seen in Canada including Donna Hay and Rick Stein, Annabel Langbein and Martha (you know who she is). But more than a great food channel, we aspire to use the power of television to promote and celebrate the best in Canadian cuisine and foodstuffs. Next week we'll be launching our national casting call for hosts to star in our new line up of food shows we begin shooting early in 2014. Look for forums, contests and more at our fancy new website - gustotv.com.
All the best,
Chris

2013 Dec 8
So you're excited to bring us Martha Stewart on Canadian TV? That's indeed a great way to use the 'power' of television to promote Canadian cuisine.

Is this the same anti-Ottawa Chris Knight who used to make those crappy, supposed 'top ten' lists for Ottawa magazine?

2013 Dec 8
Hi Mel, and here I was under the impression that Ottawa Foodies was supposed to be respectful and positive. Sorry you disagreed with the Top 10. Perhaps you might consider starting your own. All the best,
Chris

2013 Dec 12
Hey Mel, did you know that anti-Ottawa Chris Knight produced a show called "License to Grill" that was filmed in Ottawa? Or that two of his other shows, one of which is "The Great Canadian Food Show", were nominated for James Beard Awards. As in THE James Beard Awards.

Kind of shitty for you to attack the guy responsible for some great Canadian programming filmed in our city and broadcast internationally, especially one with a track record of actually producing Canadian culinary content.

2013 Dec 12
I do have to agree with her on Martha Stewart though ... really? Martha Stewart?

2013 Dec 12
Mel, at the very least when Chris did the top ten, they were ALL Ottawa restaurants, not Gatineau, not food trucks, just Ottawa restaurants...

Good luck with the Show!

Terry

2013 Dec 12
I decided to give this a look today only to find that Rogers does not carry it. Too bad, as I was looking forward to two shows in particular - Donna Hay and Julia Child. Like some of the other posters, Martha Stewart doesn't interest me in the least, but it looks like there are some other programs worthy of a look as well. Does anyone know if Rogers plans to carry it?

2013 Dec 13
Terry, please check your facts before posting comments like that.

I will give chris the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what comes of gusto. But I've heard him whine about Ottawa first hand and what a dull town we are, doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

2013 Dec 13
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments & feedback. Here are some thoughts:
- I get asked quite a bit here at home when we'll be on Rogers (as Rogers is pretty dominant in the Ottawa market). There are a number of national carriers we're in negotiations with right now and hope to have news for you early in the new year. For instance we just launched into 220,000 Maritime homes on Eastlink. In the meantime however if you were inclined to call your carrier and let them know you'd like to see Gusto that would go a long way to help as they really do pay close attention to customer comments.
- it would seem there are some Ottawa Foodies who don't like Martha. Fair enough. We have lots of new shows with terrific hosts like Donna Hay, Rick Stein, Annabel Langbein, James Martin, Lucinda Scala Quinn, Rocco DiSpirito and Nigel Slater to nasme but a few. If some of these names aren't familiar to you it's because we're committed to bringing our viewers never before seen programming. In the business we call this "first run" and we think it's a powerful and compelling value proposition in a world of repeats and re-runs. You can see a list of all the shows currently airing on Gusto at gustotv.com
- In defence of Martha however, she continues to resonate with a significant segment of the viewing public. We like Martha because this particular program is a real hands on cooking show with great take-away information and top drawer production values. Look at this way: I'll bet not everything on the menu at your favorite restaurant tickles your fancy but that doesn't stop you from going there!
Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. My wish for all of you is a joyous (and restful) holiday season AND a 2014 full of delicious meals.
Chris Knight

2013 Dec 13
Mel I guess I owe you an apology; Mr. Knight has had restaurants as far as Chelsea in his top ten...Still when something like a top 10 is done people are always going to be critical of the critic's choices but the last Ottawa Mag list included food trucks which are not restaurants & in my opinion shouldn't have been on the list..

I'm not saying that these Gatineau restaurants or even the food trucks don't deserve praise but they're NOT Ottawa restaurants, I think Ottawa Magazine should change the title to the Capital Regions top 10 of food sellers...

Merry Christmas
Terry

2013 Dec 13
Hey Chris: on behalf of the restaurant community in Ottawa, I just wanted to say congrats and good luck with the new network. I'm sure it will be a hit.

It's great to have some fresh programming that's new to Canada. I'm really looking forward to Rocco's show especially, and Julia of course. And good luck with the original shows as well. I know it will be great for the restaurant community in Canada (just don't poach any of our top guys!)

Cheers,

Steve

2013 Dec 15
Decorating/selling home shows also on Gusto.

2013 Dec 16
We're watching already - I'd never seen the Great Canadian Food Show before... Carlo is an absolute classic! Love the other programming too. Congrats, Chris!

2013 Dec 16
Yep, started watching this channel on the weekend and it's on my favourites list already.

Congrats Chris!

2014 Jun 27
Just bumping this up as I wondered if anyone else is watching this station and if they are, what they think of it?

2014 Jun 27
Still not on Rogers, nor streaming, unfortunately. Bummer because i would like an alternative to TFN.

2014 Jun 27
I haven't had access to cable or any other network television for over 12 years now. The one thing I really miss is all the cooking shows.

2014 Jun 28
Lots of interesting shows...my family is solidly hooked on the Australian show My Ktchen Rules.

2014 Jul 7
Rizak, I can't comment on Gusto, but Food Channel has gone way downhill. Hardly ever watch any more because there are rarely "cooking shows" and lots of Guy, Rachel, and whoever doing games, cook blindfolded, worst cooks ever ...

I miss actual cooking shows, the best bet is PBS on a Saturday morning.

2014 Jul 7
I've got 14 seasons of Good Eats on my hard drive for when things are desparate.