Lunch recommendations near the Qualicum building [General]

2013 Dec 6
After spending most of my career working downtown I will be starting a new job in the Qualicum building next week. I believe it's on Baseline near Greenbank? Has anyone ever worked in the area and would know if there are any lunch spots in the area? A cafeteria even? I usually bring my lunch Monday through Thursday but I look forward to buying my lunch on Fridays since it's a nice break from th kitchen. Anything within walking distance is good. I'm not fussy about types of food. Anything $15 or less would be good.

2013 Dec 6
There used to be a little (portugese?) deli / bakery in the strip mall on the other side of Greenbank - right on Baseline.

EDIT: google finds the Lisbon Bakery

2013 Dec 6
The shawarma place in the strip mall zumurgist mentioned is pretty decent. I went there tonight, actually.

If you have access to a car/get some carpooling going on, I'd recommend hitting up the Vietnamese Pho House on Greenbank. It's half way between Baseline and Hunt Club in the same mall as the Metro, across from the police station. Not within walking distance, but worth driving for.

2013 Dec 9
Thanks to zymurgist and collisionofnova for the recommendations. I was worried about not finding anything within walking distance so I have to look into the carpooling option. Both places you recommended sound delicious!

2013 Dec 9
Is this the Health Canada building on Baseline? Immediately west down Baseline is a Fat Albert's sub shop (www.fatalberts.ca/menu/subs) inside a Quickie convenience store. Don't expect much - the guy making your sub is probably also the convenience store cashier. I had a sub there many years ago and it was sort of Italian hoagie style - crusty white roll, tons of cold cuts, sub sauce/oil dressing, with tomato/lettuce/raw onion - combined of which will induce "salami burps" for the rest of your afternoon. I should really go there more often. Literally a 30 second walk from that office building.

As far as fast food goes, there is a full service Tim Horton's on the premises of the Queensway Carleton Hospital which is just across the road. The hospital also has a cafeteria but I can't speak to what they actually serve there day-to-day.

The best options within walking distance, IMO, are in the strip mall at Baseline/Greenbank that zymurgist mentioned. Have not tried Lisbon Bakery's pastries but they do a good Portuguese crusty bun/loaf. The shawarma joint in the same strip that collision mentioned is a Mr Shawarma location which has a reasonable shawarma offering.

If you have time to carpool or bus I would suggest the Greenbank/Huntclub Metro plaza which has the Authentic Vietnamese Pho House. Also right next door to that is Cozmos Souvlaki which does a killer donair platter.

All in all there are actually a few good options in this area, some of which will involve more travel than others.

2013 Dec 9
All my suggestions are quick drives away

Baan Thai on Centrepointe
Brian's Butcher deli sandwiches
IKEA has cheap eats
PJ Quigleys has excellent wings and burgers
Lisbon Bakery is great
There's a Subway in the same plaza as Lisbon Bakery
Authentic Vietnamese Pho House is good
Vera's Burgers in Bells Corners.....

2013 Dec 10
There is a Shawarma Palace near Richmond/Pinecrest... may not be extremely close, but they definitely serve up some of the freshest of the three Palace's!

2013 Dec 10
Fresh Foodie and Captain Caper likes Burek from The The Bakery (Greenbank)

2013 Dec 10
The Big Rig is in the area, but not within lunch-hour walking distance. If you have a car it would be a nearby option.

The same strip mall with the Lisbon Bakery and Mr. Shawarma also has Bassline Pub and Eatery. I have never been there, so I can't provide a recommendation, but I believe they are open for lunch and would probably be one of the only sit-down options you have within walking distance (other than the hospital cafeteria perhaps).

2013 Dec 11
If you can head down Greenbank, the mini mall next to the police station has an amazing sandwich place names "Frank's Baked Goods and Catering" (www.franksfoods.ca) There's sandwiches made fresh to order, tasty butter tarts, cookies, cannoli's, and take-home items! I work near there and a group of us try to go once a week for lunch.

2013 Dec 13
theup OMG I am SO going to that sandwichplace! Thanks for the recommendation.

2013 Dec 13
monty Yes it is in fact the Health Canada building I am going to. Thanks for the list of recommendations. One of my coworkers used to work in that building and the only lunchtime recommendation he could make was hospital food. Gee thanks-;) Your list offers alot of options - thanks!

2013 Dec 13
Captain Caper Well if you and Fresh Foodie like The Bakery then I must put it on my list!

2013 Dec 13
What is that reddish meat? Salami? Spicy? Looks delicious!

2013 Dec 14
There's salami and pepperoni on it.

2013 Dec 16
The Algonquin College Restaurant International is not too far. restaurantinternational.ca/

2013 Dec 16
Fifth'ing Lisbon bakery.
That Portuguese corn bread is cake-like carb'y goodness.

2013 Dec 16
Pete: If you're gonna go all the way to the 'Gonq, you might as well go all the way to Bells Corners. Fewer traffic lights, more options in that area.
If that's an option, Vera's burgers is great. So is the Greek place in the same mall as Mongolian Village (the old White Rose mall).

2013 Dec 17
If driving is an option don't overlook Chances R near Alginquin College. The food, especially the Greek food, is very good and very consistent.

2013 Dec 18
Stuart S I went through a full semester at Algonquin last winter taking a night course and didn't even realize Chances R had good food... I will keep this in mind if I take another night course there!

2013 Dec 18
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. However, as luck would have it, my director decided at the last minute to place me in their Holland Cross location - permanently! This makes me very happy because it is only a 10 minute bus ride from home (or 15 minutes by bike) and I am already planning on a Wellington West eatfest in the New Year. With all the eating I have planned over the next few weeks I think I should walk to work...

2013 Dec 18
Ahh, well now you're close to Pho Van Van and I'm quite jealous! That aside, you certainly won't be lacking in delicious options!

2013 Dec 20
Exactly! Time to get out the stretchy pants...

2013 Dec 20
My Tunneys tips:

The Thai place in Holland Cross is not bad.
Most days you need reservations for Pho Van Van. It's usually full with my co-workers :P
Skip the Wood on Wellington.
Red sea cafe is good but slow
Anna Thai is good.
Les Grillades for swharama's. Get there a bit before noon, so you miss the line ups

2013 Dec 22
lovetoeat Re: your Pho Van Van comment - it looks like I need to make friends with you-;)

I did a quick walking tour of the food court my first day there and was sad to see it is so small. I will keep the Thai place in mind though. I am familiar with all the other places except Anna Thai - where is it?

2013 Dec 22
I'm always up for Pho. Some of my co-workers are there at least once a week and are friendly with the owner.

Anna Thai is south on Holland before you get to Wellington. East side of the street. Next to Asian Village (the old Pho Van Van location) btw... give Asian Village a pass. Slow service and bland food.

2013 Dec 24
Okay thanks! I've passed by the Asian Village place and was wondering if it is any good. I guess I will just keep walking... Thanks for the recommendations - I'm looking forward to trying them.

2013 Dec 24
Just stay away from the Mr. Shawarma place up near the St. Vincent de Pauls.

Pan shawarma ? WTF ?

Mr. Shawarma and Subs