Cheesy Dishes [General]

2013 Dec 3
I recently had two cheese-centric dishes in local restaurants that were disappointing. One was a grilled cheese sandwich that was perfect in every way except the supposed star of the dish, the cheese. It was very bland. I also had a macaroni and cheese dish that was super dry and bland as well.

This got me wondering about other dishes in the city. I'm wondering if you can recommend a restaurant dish that is focused on cheese and properly executed. (Obviously a cheese plate doesn't count in this scenario please, too easy.)

Thank you!

2013 Dec 4
The macaroni and cheese I had at The SmoQue Shack was fantastic. Also, the "bake at home" one available sometimes at Grace in the Kitchen & Serious Cheese is excellent, albeit pricey.

Can you share where you had the disappointing experiences?

2013 Dec 4
+1 for the mac 'n cheese from the Smoque Shack. I am "convinced" they put an addictive substance in it along with the seven types of cheese they use.

The mac 'n cheese from The Piggy Market is also recommended - they use heavy cream and four types of cheese but it is oooohhhh so good!

The grits from Union Local 613 are also to die for.

2013 Dec 4
Seconding - both the Mac and Cheese from Piggy Market and the grits and Union.
Keep in mind Piggy Market is closing at Christmas for renovations and is due to be closed until April,

2013 Dec 4
The disappointing grilled cheese was from The Rex. I don't want this to be seen as a complaint, but rather an area for improvement as they've only been open for a few weeks and are actively asking for feedback on their dishes. I've told them my thoughts. Everything else about the sandwich and the experience at The Rex was great.

The disappointing mac and cheese was from the Zydeco Smokehouse. It was baked dry pasta with some cheese-flavoured bread crumbs on top. Nowhere near creamy or sharp tasting. I haven't bothered to fill them in on what I thought because it was beyond obvious that it was a brutal mac and cheese. If they can't see it for themselves....?

I do enjoy the Smoque Shack's mac and cheese and Union 613's cheesy grits. Those are both killer dishes.

Does anyone have any cheesy dishes to recommend that aren't mac and cheese (or a version of mac and cheese?)

Thanks!

2013 Dec 5
I've been pretty disappointed by cheese dishes at restaurants. I assume the sit between being cooked and being delivered to the table results in the cheese changing from melty to dry.

Here is my favourite recipe for making at home. Basically a skillet of delicious cheese you can share or eat yourself ;)

www.barefootcontessa.com

Baked Fontina (Serves 4 to 6)
Copyright 2010, Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That? by Ina Garten, Clarkson Potter/Publishers, All Rights Reserved

1½ pounds Italian Fontina Val d’Aosta cheese, rind removed and 1-inch-diced
¼ cup good olive oil
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 crusty French baguette

Preheat the broiler and position the oven rack 5 inches from the heat.

Distribute the cubes of Fontina evenly in a 12-inch cast-iron pan. Drizzle on the olive oil. Combine the garlic, thyme, and rosemary and sprinkle it over the cheese and olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and place the pan under the broiler for 6 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling and starts to brown.

Serve the baked Fontina family-style—right out of the oven in the cast-iron pan with crusty chunks of bread for everyone to dip.

2013 Dec 5
French onion soup is a favourite comforting cheesy dish of mine. If I feel sick, I always end up craving it. There's a few places where I know they have a great salty, cheesy broth, Rockwells at Merivale Mall being one of them.

2013 Dec 5
The croque monsieur at Chez Lucien has always been a favourite of mine. I also like the blue cheese burger at Manhattan's although I believe they are only open on weekdays for breakfast and lunch.