Chocolate as Christmas Gift [General]

2013 Nov 22
So my husband loves chocolate. We don't often spend money on good chocolate (Lindt counts as our good chocolate purchase, typically), but I'd like to surprise him with some awesome chocolate for Christmas.

I know of JoJo CoCo in Kanata, but where else locally could I go?

2013 Nov 22
Stubbe's (either downtown on Dalhousie or in Kanata at Terry Fox and Hazeldean) is usually our first choice when it comes to chocolate.

Bernard Callebaut further north on Dalhousie is good.

The Ottawa Bagel Shop carries Degas Chocolates, which are very good and also local; they don't have a store of their own to my knowledge.

We also used to buy koko Chocolates, another local company. I know they changed ownership and I haven't seen them at Thyme & Again when I've been in so it's pretty much out-of-sight-out-of-mind. I don't have a recent recommendation but they used to be excellent at least.

2013 Nov 22
Grace in the Kitchen has good chocolate. Farm Boy is decent too.

2013 Nov 22
Hazeldean and Castlefrank - Ottawa's Heart of Chocolate: (Darkness, Milkness and Whiteness included)
- Jojo Coco, talk to the owner if she's there. Anything from SOMA is guaranteed. She also carries loose KoKo selections.
- Some Amedei bars in the Italian deli in the same strip mall
- Grace in the Kitchen across Hazeldean has many good brands
- Farm Boy behind JoJo carries local chocolatier Rochef
- Stubbe's is kitty-corner to Jojo

Ottawa Bagelshop used to have the best selection of bars, but it's gone down, but certainly not out - probably the only local place to sometimes get Valrhona's better bars (with a year on it).

You can also get a lovely chocolate table centrepiece with many handmade filled chocolates from all-done-on-premises chocolatier Miss Chocolat in downtown Hull, orderable in advance.

2013 Nov 22
New to Ottawa this fall is Cylie Artisans Chocolatiers (Cylie Chocolatiers) on Dalhousie, a short walk away from Callebaut (where I get my cocoa, chocolate drops and large baking bars, all of which make my baking better). My dd and her dh have enjoyed the chocolates from Cylie's for their quality and complex flavours. I haven't been there yet but trust dd's highly discriminating taste buds where chocolate is concerned.

2013 Nov 22
Has anyone tried the locally made chocolate I see in Indy? I think it's made in Gatineau...one of them is a sea salt flavour. Packaged in rectangular, flattish cardboard with viewing window. I've been tempted many times, but surprisingly haven't pulled the trigger. Soon.

A couple of my faves are Lindt sea salt and Cadbury salted peanuts bar. Sweet, salty, smooth chocolatey goodness.

2013 Nov 26
For packaged stuff Swiss Pastries is really good- esp the Billings Bridge store.

They carry some brand that is locally made (forget the name,it is in black packaging) and that company makes the bars starting with the cocoa beans I was told (I met the owner of that co a few years ago...at a food event).

If I go to Swiss pastries I will remember to check.

Some chocolate I like has liquor in it, the Abtey brand Swiss Pastries sells is very good (or great,I guess).
-the chocolate they use for the mini bottles is dark chocolate and very tasty, the liquor fillings are great too.
-the worst liquor chocolates I tried is Turin brand and that one is made in Mexico. The chocolate is just not good (if you like that brand, good for you I guess,lol).

Valrhona is also another good French brand.
There is one bar that is milk chocolate and caramelized pecans!

For locally made stuff, Stubbe is great.
They have many kinds of truffles, and also make some hazelnuts with caramel coated in chocolate and cocoa powder!

Also sort of local is Chocomotive.
They are in Wakefield? but sell at some local craft shows and the food co-op in Hull.

For cheaper packaged stuff at the grocery store you can buy Ritter sport chocolate bars. I think they are German (I forget).
-the white chocolate w hazelnuts and rice crisps is good.
-also the rum raisin milk chocolate bar

2013 Nov 26
I ended up going to Jojo Coco before work yesterday. Lovely little shop, with a really neat edited selection. Bought some bars, truffles, and bark in a few different flavors and percentages. The shop owner is VERY pleasant to deal with! If we had a coffee maker at home, I would have also bought some of the ground cocoa beans (smaller grind than nibs, but bigger than powder) to try brewing...

2013 Nov 27
I have enjoyed bars from hummingbirdchocolate.com/ They can be found at shops around the city (including JoJo CoCo.) They have a new drinking chocolate that I want to get my hands on. I'm hoping it comes close to the delicious stuff I had at Xoco in Chicago.

2013 Nov 28
I like Olivia Chocolat in Gatineau.
www.oliviachocolatiers.com
You can buy their chocolate in Ottawa and Gatineau area.

Many places sell Olivia.
Store location: www.oliviachocolatiers.com

I use their dark chocolate for making flourless chocolate cake.

2013 Nov 28
That is the one I was thinking of- Olivia Chocolatiers.

I think I also saw some at Nicastros Bank st and market location.

Also was talking to the owners of Stubbe downtown a while ago and they were telling me that they had some project where a group in South America was growing some special cocoa beans just for them and they would have some bars made from that.

There is some display w pics and info in their store and they had some bars for sale (I spoke to them before they had the bars and has just put up their display).

I think it is a neat idea they did this and bought some of those bars for gifts and the person who got them did like them!

2013 Nov 30
Me living in Foreign and always love to send gifts online with the help of giftsngreets.com

2013 Dec 1
If you are looking to send chocolate or French and European foods by mail chocodirect.com is pretty good.

They distribute a lot to many smaller local stores in Ottawa and Swiss pastries, Cedars grocery, farm boy have some of their products (they have tags on the products stuck on that say Euro excellence as that is their business name).

Their website is being redone apparently,but I know you can email them to order and they do have a phone number.
Shipping is only $5.00 for any order and they ship only in Canada.

I usually get chocolate for my stepfather there as it is the only place I know that carries Valor sugar-free chocolate from Spain.

I haven't ordered anything since their site was being redone,but will prob order some items this week.
It is also one of the few places I can find Langue de Chat cookies (I do not have a car, i know you can get them in Hull easily).

2013 Dec 2
Koko's quality didn't go down a bit when Jen took over: she was working there already anyway. You can buy them at The Candy Store on Richmond.

2013 Dec 15
Besides Stubbe's and Bernard Callebaut, just a few doors north on Dalhousie at St. Andrew is Cylie Artisans Chocolatiers.

Their chocolates have to be the most amazingly beautiful in the City. Your husband will definitely be impressed, Lady Ilsebe. The chocolates are all hand-made in small batches in the shop. The quality is superb. Definitely will impress as Christmas gift.