Loose tea vendor [General]

2013 Nov 22
Does anyone know of a loose tea vendor in the Byward Market? I'll be there tomorrow and need some more Lapsang Souchong. Thanks for your help!

2013 Nov 22
I know of two places, the Tea Party on York east of Dalhousie and there is a place, also on Yotk, two over from Aubrey's.

2013 Nov 22
I got all excited until I read this from Wiki:

"Lapsang souchong has a high reputation outside of China, but it is viewed as "tea for Westerners" inside China.

"Souchong" refers to the fourth and fifth leaves of the tea plant, further away from the more highly prized bud (pekoe) of the tea plant. These leaves are coarser than the leaves closer to the bud, and have less aromatic compounds. Smoking provides a way to create a marketable product from these less desirable leaves."

Oh well.

2013 Nov 24
I've often thought that most of the commercial brands of tea we drink here are probably nothing more than the sweepings off the floor of the factory. I bet there isn't a "pekoe" in any of the tea they ship here. That said, if you like the taste of lapsang souchong isn't that all that really matters? Personally, I don't think you can beat King Cole....but then, I'm biased.

2013 Nov 24
"That said, if you like the taste of lapsang souchong (edit: or Big Macs or iodized salt)isn't that all that really matters?"

Yup, Your right. Beauty is in the taste buds of the beholder.

(Big up on King Cole .... on the back burner for hours. One of those down east delights.)

2013 Nov 24
Is it wrong that I love David's Tea Mate Blends which usually are full of non-tea flavours?

2013 Nov 25
Thanks everyone! Tree Pug, thanks for reminding me about the Tea Party!

I put a pinch of Lapsang Souchong in my teapot for extra flavour whenever I brew black tea, any black tea. Now I can't stop imagining how mind-blowing Lapsang would be if it was made from the highly prized pekoe buds instead of the fourth and fifth leaves!

James C: I hear David's makes a great coconut tea that's only available in summer. It's on my list to try next year.

2013 Dec 3
Pingu Sorry I'm so late with this but if you find yourself tea shopping in the market again I can recommend the Tea Store. The tea I have bought there in the past has always been fresh and the staff is very knowledgeable.