Are you happy with your refrigerator? [General]

2013 Nov 4
Our Amana refrigerator died over the weekend. Looking through reviews and recommendations is very discouraging -- no brand seems acceptably reliable anymore. Even the repairman seemed at a bit of a loss when we asked if there was a brand or two that he recommended. He had a much easier time listing brands he recommended avoiding.

So...are you happy with your current fridge? If so, what is it?

2013 Nov 4
We bout an LG two years ago. Very happy with it. They have their own service people and parts are in stock no waiting if something goes wrong. Or at least that's what we were told. We had a problem with the ice maker and service was next day. It turned out the problem was with the hose I installed seems the stainless steel braided hoses you buy at Home Depot have a liner in them that takes a few months of making ice before a funny taste goes away.

2013 Nov 4
I would look for a major brand, layout that I liked, size, price, exterior looks, features, power consumption...

I'd consider; Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Samsung, LG, Maytag and likely a couple others.

I currently have a french door KitchenAid that I really like for it's layout and the way the freezer drawer is set up. When out looking for a possible replacement (even though I don't need one...just like to see what's out there), I often find certain layouts lacking or that the freezer drawer is annoying. I probably won't be replacing mine anytime soon.

How the doors open/close, door shelves, ice maker, freezer drawer function, interior lighting...these are all things that I find vary quite a lot from one manufacturer to another. You'll need to look and look to determine which fridge is right for you.

2013 Nov 4
Why do I pine for the days when fridges lasted 20-50 years ?

.... then again, who wants to be stuck with a black (or avacado) fridge fo 30 years ?

2013 Nov 4
Captain Caper, we still have the Eaton's fridge that came with our house. Works awesome. It has to be 30 to 40 years old. It is a beer fridge now.

Though really we should swap it with the 12 year old Kenmore all-fridge we bought to replace it because we've had no end of moisture issues with the Kenmore.

2013 Nov 4
No clue on brands, but I second the discussion about layout.
My in-laws were set on a side-by-side (Whirlpool?). I tried to warn them how they are notoriously difficult to fill easily with food but, alas, they went with it anyways. Cue this past thanksgiving where they nearly had a breakdown trying to get everything to fit...and we were only ten people.
My mother in law also HATES the stainless steel because the ice maker always dribbles down the front and leaves really obviously water marks.

I guess if nobody can really pick a stellar brand, go for layout, physical durability, color and price? Because if they're all equally unreliable, then it doesn't really matter, right?

Edited: I should mention that in all nine apartments I've rented, they've been either a Moffat or an Amana. This either means they're cheap and easily replaceable or super durable, depending on how you look at it.

2013 Nov 4
I have a whirlpool side by side with ice/water through the door and panels that match the cupboards. Fairly happy with it, but the replacement inline water filters are something like 100 bucks. We bought it 13 years ago, and have to say if I were doing it again, i'd get a bottom freezer model. I love the new Electrolux fridge, not just for its layout, but for the very sexy dim-on lighting. Nice wow factor and would consider this one unless I were in the deluxe built in sub zero market.

2013 Nov 4
A close friend is an interior designer. We had this discussion and I'll third the figure out the features you really want campaign. In general ice makers and water dispensers use up useful real estate and tend to break and cause problems faster than other bits of the fridge. Avoid them unless you really want them. (I like using other peoples, not sure if I'd get one for myself).

2013 Nov 4
Oh yes! The Electrolux! How could I forget? It is definitely on my short list...Very nice lighting and shelves. Lowes has a pretty wide variety of brands, including Electrolux. Good place to see a wide variety of fridge brands and types.

2013 Nov 4
Yeah speaking of layout - I'm not a fan of the glass shelves that go all the way across. Really, really bad airflow. That's likely only an issue in a smaller fridge like ours because the bigger ones I've seen with glass shelves have split shelves and I'm guessing that probably helps airflow. Not even sure whether you can get the wire mesh shelves anymore but honestly I'd look for it if getting a new fridge today. Just for airflow.

2013 Nov 5
I've always loved the SMEG fridge, but you're buying a look and not a terribly efficient appliance, I feel. I could be wrong.

www.google.ca

2013 Nov 5
Rizak, I want one of those fridges SO BAD. :)

2013 Nov 5
Fridges are not built to last anymore. If you get beyond 10 years, you're on borrowed time. So go for looks and features within your budget.

Just recently helped a friend shop for a fridge and learnt that only Corbeil and Lowes provide next day deli...keep that in mind if your in an "emergency! need to replace my fridge now" scenario. Most stores will price match competitors on-line/flyer prices or quotes. Some charge for deli and removal, some don't.

Whirlpool has purchased the majority of fridge manufacturers (ie Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Inglis, Jenn-Air etc...), so your options are somewhat limited. Big buzz around Samsung and LG...justified or not?

Go for specs, look and feel in-store and then negotiate and decide.

Good luck.

2013 Nov 5
I would think about WHERE I buy as well as what I buy. Best Buy/Future Shop if you buy there and don't go for their extended warranty, and then have a problem even if it is under warranty-you may still be stuck with shipping it to wherever for the repair ( this happened to a friend of mine). We buy our appliances at Sears, no interest, and they are THERE if you have a problem. Around Xmas is often a good time to appliance shop because everyone is spending their money on other stuff, so there are often sales.

2013 Nov 5
I was very happy with my 9 year old Amana with freezer at the bottom.... Until it recently starting knocking, hard. It cannot be fixed, repairman said it was common with many brands now. I have a side by side Kenmore fridge with water and ice dispenser in one of the apartments I own and it has worked very well so far and has taken the abuse of tenants. I believe it may have been purchased in either 2001 or 1999 I am not a 100% sure. I, on the other hand for myself would never buy a side by side....

2013 Nov 5
I saw this fridge on Pinterest, it is a bio robot fridge. I'm pretty sure it isn't actually a real thing, but a cool idea.
www.yankodesign.com

2013 Nov 5
Poutine : That sounds like exactly like what happened with our similarly aged Amana. Since we moved here 3 years ago it always knocked a little but it got slightly worse over the past few months before it gave up the ghost.

2013 Nov 5
We got a Fisher and Paykel (Australian Brand) about 5 years ago when redoing our kitchen. It was at Corbeil who I have used for appliances in the past. We Love almost everything about it. (The nanny beep when you leave the door open is irritating!!) It has a bottom freezer with three drawers...One just high enough for ice cube trays or pizza. Designer and foodie friends were all impressed, but we had never heard of Fisher & Paykel. It was on sale and I would definitelyy recommend it. We will be selling soon and I am seriously sad to leave it behind!

2013 Nov 5
I wonder if either of your knockings (Allume & Poutine) sound like my fridge when it knocks? My fridge does that every year or 2 and I fix it myself after watching repair woman and man take it apart the first few times. My knocks are from ice buildup to the point one of the fans starts hitting it. I have to take out the floor of the fridge (17 yr old Kenmore bottom freezer - I was an early adopter) and melt the ice. Good for another year or 2. Or is it a compressor issue with you 2?

PS Consumer Reports mag says least problems occur with top freezers and bottom freezers. Side by sides are more problem prone with LG being the worst of the lot by a significant margin. They get their info from 82000 annual consumer survey responses.

2013 Nov 6
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. We have a new fridge on the way this morning, after days spent despairing over the available options. Unfortunately, the space we have for the fridge limited our selection.

We were looking for a simple bottom freezer model (no ice or water dispenser, with French doors if possible). During our search we learned the following:

1) As Boxers stated above, Whirlpool has bought many of its competitors, including Maytag, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, and Amana. Why they still manufacture them under the different brand names, I'll never know. When you open each of these different brands, the shelves look exactly the same, with only one or two minor differences. We found that a lot of the drawers in the Whirlpool-owned brands didn't slide as smoothly or feel as solid as we would have liked.

2) LG and Samsung have some nice models, but you're limited to going through those companies for any service issues. After being very disappointed by LG's service of our washing machine, we didn't want to be locked in with them as our only provider if something went wrong with our fridge. Also, the LG models were on the limit of our maximum allowable height and the Samsung model that fit in terms of height and width was so deep that even I (at 5'11) would've needed a stepping stool to reach the cupboards above the fridge. However, the drawers in these models felt better made and opened smoothly (LG slightly more smooth than Samsung).

3) We didn't find an ElectroLux that fit the space available to us. However, we liked the models we saw. When we are finally able to remodel our kitchen and hopefully include a wider, counter-depth model, we'll definitely consider ElectroLux. Of course by that time, they'll probably have been acquired by Whirlpool.

4) Corbeil doesn't charge for delivery, and will haul away your old fridge for free. Home Depot charges for both. Lowes charges for delivery, but haul-away is included. I think that's the case for Sears, too.

5) According to our repairman, newer fridges use less electricity because they're running smaller compressors at full capacity all the time. This saves electricity but means they die much, much sooner. With the amount of energy required to manufacture a fridge (and then ship it, and ultimately dispose of it), I have a lot of trouble believing that new fridges are "greener" than old ones.

We ended up with a GE model from Lowe's. We're not 100% pleased with the layout but it fits in the space and the drawers worked better than Whirlpool-owned models.

2013 Nov 6
Andy: The knocking is the compressor, it sounds like a ping pong ball, lasts about 4 minutes every 45 minutes about. It's getting louder, it's annoying at night. I had purchased it from Corbeil and the sales person was extremely knowledgeable. He advised me to vacuum the front bottom grill and under the fridge once a month and to pull the fridge from the wall and vacuum the back 3-4 times a year (more if you have pets). He said this will stretch the life of the compressor and avoid the knocking sound. I had been doing this religiously until this year. It's been crazy and that task was put on the back burner... It may be just a coincidence, but he may have been right.

Allume: how long did the knocking sound last before your fridge gave up?

Also: the repair man that came said this problem is common with fridge with a certain serial number. He looked inside my door and said, yep, that one is part of it. I should have paid more attention to what that number was... I want my ugly yellow Moffat fridge that lasted 30 years and never broke down dammit!

2013 Nov 7
The Sweethome says that the Kenmore 79009 is your best bet if you're looking for a 33" one, and the Frigidaire FGUS2642LF is your best bet if you're looking for a 36" one. They looked at a lot of things, including price (admitting that fridges are probably not something you should skimp on), insulation, noise, shelf design, and energy efficiency.

(I'm assuming that these models are available in Canada as well as the States.)

thesweethome.com

2013 Nov 9
I have a Whirlpool Gold, bought at the Bay (Rideau centre),
Sears had refused to price match and told me to buy somewhere else.
-sears rideau had the worst service for applicance and bed dept (I actually had to evaluate the salespeople there for my work).
No wonder that location is closed.

Back to my fridge.....

The Whirlpool fridge has broken down twice and warranty is up on it.
Have had it 10 years now.
There is a problem with the freezer leaking water into the fridge and it gets into all the drawers.

Tried completely emptying the freezer and still does this.
So I can not put anything in my fridge drawers and items on my shelves go on a platw first or in a plastic container.

I am not willing to buy another fridge until this one dies, or that I win a fridge in a contest somehow (used to enter tons of contests and used to win often,but kind of got lazy...).

I was very pleased with the Bay's service and would shop there again.

2013 Nov 12
I know the OP already bought a new fridge, but I'll weigh in too since we just bought a new fridge a month ago when we renovated our kitchen.

We got a French door LG with ice and water on the door. It uses the slimline ice maker so it doesn't chew up a whole door. Very nice fridge and we're really happy with it. My brother has a consumer reports account in the USA and he looked up the models of fridge, stove and laundry pair we were looking at and the LG's are the highest rested appliances in those categories. Interestingly, the only thing they make that apparently sucks is dishwashers. But then, everyone knows Bosch makes the best dishwashers in ever.

Anyway, here's the fridge we ended up getting and I highly recommend it if you have the space for it.

www.lg.com

2013 Nov 15
I just got the Consumers Reports 2014 buyers guide in the mail. Three door bottom freezer top rated was LG lfx28991(st). Best buy was Kenmore 7160(3). The six top models had only a 3 point difference which means no real advantage.

2013 Nov 17
Side-by-side Kenmore that came with our house (freezer on the left, fridge on the right. Very happy with it, lots of room in the fridge and freezer. The one downside, we cannot put big packages in the freezer, like big frozen pizzas. We love the water and crushed or cubed ice dispenser. The water is filtered and requires a new filter which is a cinch to install at the bottom of the front of the fridge, and reasonably priced, I believe $30 or so on Amazon to be replaced every 6 months or so, but we go at least a year given we don't always use it.

Drawers slide out for ease of access and placement.