Foodie Husband birthday gift?? [General]

2013 Oct 23
My husband is going to be 30 in December and I am trying to figure out a gift for him (he is incredibly hard to shop for).

I was thinking that it would be great to give him cooking classes as a gift but it seems every class is either before December or you have to make your own group for a class. He is the cook in the house (and he is an amazing cook, he enjoys throwing things together and hoping it works out), and I know he would enjoy kitchen hints, tricks and new techniques.

He is not picky with types of cuisine (in fact he would probably enjoy more ethnic seeing I am the picky eater).

Does anyone have any suggestions? It is his 30th birthday so I would like to make it special.

Thanks in advance :)

2013 Oct 23
cuisinepassion.ca

This is a link to Cuisine and Passion in Orleans. You may find something there. I bought my husband the "Chef for a Week" class and he really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Mind you, you have to have a spare week available. His other classes are good too and are mainly in the evenings.

2013 Oct 23
Did you look into Urban element? The classes showing on the schedule right now are all baking related but you could get him a GC and he could pick his own class in the new year.

www.theurbanelement.ca

2013 Oct 23
Buy him a knife at knifewear. Perfect gift.

2013 Oct 24
Get him a Thermapen.

It is the little things that make a big difference in the kitchen. Hard to justify spending the ca$h on one of these for yourself too, but so very worth it.

That or a nice knife (as stated above).

2013 Oct 24
I have taken classes at both Cuisine and Passion and Le Cordon Bleu and would recommend both.

2013 Oct 25
what type of budget are you working with?

2013 Oct 28
I am hoping to keep it under $100. His birthday is December 15th and then there is Christmas 10 days later.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! All will be taken into consideration :)

2013 Oct 28
how but some fun molecule goodies

molecule-r.com

they have drink kits and food kits......he can be a mad scientist and entertain your friends with fun drinks.

2013 Oct 29
We are working on some new gift "packages" at the store for the holiday season. One of them is very "Man vs BBQ" style...
We are going to call it a "Smoke Stack" where we pair Chipotle Infused Olive Oil, Smoked Balsamic Vinegar and small selection of The Salty Don's maple-smoked salts/peppers/herbs.
They should be available shortly...and likely priced around $50.

2013 Oct 30
Try this!

www.chefx.ca/t/WeAreChefX
Great chefs in Ottawa contributing recipes for the public to try at home!
All the ingredients and recipe will be delivered to your home.

2013 Oct 30
Upper Canada Heritage Farm (a.k.a. Barbara's Black Pigs) has gift certificates for $50 to purchase our ethically raised pastured pork from the Large Black Pig. I am also putting together a Heritage Pork Sampler for $150 that will include nitrate free bacon, artisan sausage, smoked ham and hocks, loin roasts, shoulder roasts, and more. There is a ton of info on my website at uppercanadaheritagemeat.ca.

2013 Oct 31
I did the cooking class for Le Bottega last week and will do another one next week. $65+ tax for 4 course meal with wine.

Less actual instruction than Le Cordon Bleu and Cuisine and Passion classes but a more relaxed atmosphere. I don't think the schedule for next year is posted but one of the guy in the class last week had his daugther gifting him some classes.

2013 Nov 5
Why not a pair of cufflinks? One can't go wrong with a pair of cool cuffs. I got myself a pair of these crazy cuffs goo.gl/YWopnv

2013 Nov 6
I'm a huge fan of this: www.breville.ca

Allows for all kinds of creativity, and who doesn't love pie?

2013 Nov 18
Seeing that he is a foodie, I'm curious to know whether he's a coffee lover too. You can bake him a cake like this Coffee brownie cake delight or even buy him a high end coffee maker. You can find the recipe and the coffee maker and everything related to coffee at Daily Cuppa Coffee www.dailycuppacoffee.com