Aeropress Coffee Maker [General]

2007 Oct 8
So I received my aeropress coffee maker in the mail the other day... results: good! It says it makes espresso, I will say up front that it does not do that. However, it does create a highly concentrated coffee shot which, when thinned with a little water, makes an excellent cup of coffee. I tried some Lavazza, Green Mtn Coffee and Francesco's espresso roast through this unit... the Francesco's produced the best result, but was probably the most fresh of the three. One thing about this is that it's a great little unit for camping since it's highly portable and very easy to clean.

www.aerobie.com

2007 Oct 8
I can't believe this is the same company who makes AEROBIE frisbees. All of their products revolve around frisbees of sorts, and then out of nowhere - a coffee press!

How much was it? How does it stack up against a glass french press?

2007 Oct 8
$35 here www.greenbeanery.ca

$25 here
www.amazon.com

but shipping is likely to be worse from the latter

i may just need to buy one to try it at that price ;-)

2007 Oct 8
Before anyone orders one online - shipping 1 from green beanery is 9 bucks but shipping 5 is only 17 bucks.

LMK if interested. Or is there a local source already?

2007 Oct 8
Amazon is the US site, so you'll pay intl. shipping rates, either get it from: www.greenbeanery.ca/
www.eureca.ca/
www.ashtongreen.com

It's definitely more durable than a french press, no filter screens falling apart, no glass beakers exploding or cracking, plus the "sludge" from french press coffee is eliminated in the Aeropress since it uses a filter. Overall I spent around $50 for the unit, even more filters, shipping & taxes. I feel it was worth it.

2007 Nov 11
I was just ordering more coffee from greenbeanery.ca and tagged on one of these aeropress thingies. Can't wait to try it out - should arrive sometime this week.

2007 Nov 11
Great! Keep us posted. I'm thinking of asking Santa for one.

2007 Nov 11
This is my xmas pressie actually - we have come to stretch the season a bit in this house :-)

2007 Nov 11
I've been using it now for a while. It works well for when I want to make coffee for myself, but I go back to using the Bunn autodrip when I need to serve more. BTW - Ethiopian yirgacheffe in this makes a beautiful cup of coffee.

2007 Nov 11
I just happen to have some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe in the cupboard - not roasted yet

2007 Nov 13
Canada Post website says "Item is out for delivery"

I'm so excited! Could be enjoying aeropress coffee for breakfast tomorrow

2007 Nov 13
OK, first impressions.

It's a great little rig! I swear by making coffee 1 or 2 cups at a time, but preferably only 1 since it really does taste better by most of the methods I know of. The Aeropress is all of the following : Easy to use, relatively portable, no electrical parts, nothing breakable, you can even reuse the filters.

Caveat : the coffee I'm working with is ground about 8 out of 10 where 10 is the coarsest on this little PC burr grinder. The aeropress really requires a very fine grind so I'll have a proper test of it perhaps tomorrow morning.

The scoop it comes with is enormous - I have not measured it yet but likely 1/2 cup. My regular scoop is such that 3 scoops is exactly 2 tablespoons. I'm a 3 scoop-a-cup sorta guy at least when it comes to my Black and Decker Cup-at-a-Time machine. The 3 scoops in the Aeropress made a fairly weak (for me, strong for some I'm sure) cup of coffee when diluted. Non-diluted it will not make a full cup of coffee (about 400ml). It makes maybe 220 to 240 and you dilute with hot water.

So far it's a great little rig and I look forward to trying it tomorrow with a much finer grind!

2007 Nov 13
I could not wait til morning and so re-ground my coffee on about 2 setting - so almost the finest. The coffee is absolutely brilliant! About the closest thing I've ever brewed to the coffee I drank the Marriot in Zuerich back in 2000, and that was the best coffee I think I've ever had in my life!

I'm totally sold! For $35 + shipping (reduced with a big coffee order) I got the plunger, special funnel in case you don't think you can pour near boiling water into the unit, and a stirrer to stir the 'slurry' a few seconds before plunging.

I forget just which bean I'm drinking this week but it's roasted just til the beans start to break a sweat of oil.

I bought some bargain coffees for the first time - $15 for 5 lbs of green :-) Will start to try them out after I run out of roasted this weekend (I roast on the weekend to do me the week)

2007 Nov 13
Thanks, that make it easy then!

Dear Santa...

:-)

2007 Nov 13
Zym - just read your comments on the AeroPress. It's all about two things with this apparatus: 1) grind of coffee, 2) temperature of water. Experiment with both to achieve coffee nirvana with the aeropress. LOL.

Also, that funnel like device is to dump your coffee grounds from a grinder or a hopper into the aeropress to avoid spills, etc... it's handy!

2007 Nov 13
In my MW I do 500ml at 333 seconds and it comes out about 180F which is just past the high end of what they recommend. I'll try it tomorrow maybe 311

BTW, what I'm using is a lot less than they recommend for one cup, but as mentioned the same as what I've used in the B&D. The last few months it's been 7 scoops for 2 cups in the French Press.

2007 Nov 13
I use less than they recommend simply because the coffee I was using "bloomed" to the point where it overflowed from the aeropress. Oops!

2007 Nov 13
Oh my, this does sound like quite the device. I may have to pick one up and see how things work out. I love the strength of french press coffee, but hate the grounds.

I assume this thing is "grounds free"?

2007 Nov 14
Completely grounds free, yes.

2007 Nov 14
We're talking about this on the brewers' list and someone just said :

"In case anyone really cares, the Aviation Museum gift shop carries them."

Not sure on price.

2007 Dec 5
I received one of these as a birthday present, and just finished my first cup of coffee from it. I can echo all of the compliments that people have given to the unit. Now if only it would brew a whole pot.

Easy to use and clean, and there is no bitterness to the coffee. Rivals any great coffee I've tried.

Further, if you buy it through amazon, and do a little more xmas shopping at the same time, you can get it with free shipping.

Back to the kitchen to keep on experimenting with it.

2007 Dec 27
Santa brought me one!

First, some facts:

* The Aviation Museum does *not* carry them. Wifey called and the guy said, "I've worked here for 8 years and we absolutely do not have that." (The Museum of Science and Technology also does not have them.) I think zymurgist's source was talking about the other Aerobie products. :)
* Wifey called a whole load of kitchen supply stores and found them at Ashton Green (as mentioned above) and at MCL Hospitality. MCL was out of stock so she got mine at Ashton Green.

Now some opinions:

* Incredibly good espresso and americano! As good as anything I've enjoyed in a restaurant or coffee house (and better than most). The espresso won't cut it for purists as the crema is absent but the flavour is great. I'm using Starbucks "Pike Place" blend from Seattle, roasted whole bean, stored in my freezer. There's no acidity or bitterness whatsoever. I could drink this espresso without any sugar at all and still enjoy it.
* It's reasonably easy to use. The setup and cleanup takes some time but the little bit of effort is totally worthwhile.
* The low cost and small footprint (not another kitchen appliance!) make this an ideal unit for someone who loves excellent coffee and usually makes it in small quantities.

The "Americano" (diluted espresso) was better than any drip coffee I've ever had. It was pure coffee flavour without any harshness.

Now I'm in the market for a decent burr grinder as my blade grinder isn't the best for fine grind... :-)

2007 Dec 27
I've been waiting to hear your report ;-)

Have a look at the PC burr grinder for about 30 bucks. It's pretty hard to beat in terms of value for your money. The grind is adjustable and very excellent. My 2 complaints are :

(1) makes a heck of a mess due to static created.
(2) the output clogs up fairly frequently and needs to be unclogged with a chopstick

But for 30 bucks I'll take it as-is :-)

2007 Dec 27
For FF... I have a PC burr grinder as well, and am reasonably satisfied with it. If Zym is having clogging problems, I expect it's because he has the fineness of grind set to the lowest (finest) setting. I keep mine 1 or two notches above this and have not had clogs. If I were to complain, it would be that in addition to the grind size requested, it makes a very fine powder as well (i.e. it does not seem to grind everything to one size entirely). Do either of you guys have a Bialetti pressure type cooktop espresso maker, and if so.. how do you think the output compares with the Aeropress?

2007 Dec 28
I do grind on next to finest, but used to grind about at the halfway point before I got my aeropress, and still had clogging. I do find the grind to be pretty consistent though - i.e. all the same size.

2008 Jan 6
I popped into my neighbourhood Starbucks today to look at their "Barista" rebranded Solis grinder (coffeegeek.com). When I described the Aeropress to the rep her reaction was, "That sounds like something we should be carrying!"

The Aeropress might become much easier to find if Starbucks starts carrying it. Quick, buy Aerobie stock! ;-)

2008 Jan 6
Yeah, this thing makes really good coffee, I'm actually surprised Starbucks, or at a MEC/Bushtukah/Trailhead type store doesn't carry it. The reason I say MEC type stores should carry it is because it could make good coffee for camping trips, and it's portable and light.

When I'm not using this, I use my Bunn autodrip, which is a totally different taste than the Aeropress, but perfectly acceptable all the same (I love diner style coffee, and the Bunn achieves just that!)

2008 Jan 7
Yup, I've already billed this as the ultimate backpacking coffee maker. It is almost indestructible and takes up zero space (stuff some socks in the 2 parts)

2008 Jan 7
These units sound great. Zymurgist, can you clarify the point about "you can even reuse the filters" (a couple posts up)? I'm assuming you're describing reusing a paper filter? Is it be possible to use one of those "gold" (or any other sort of) re-usable filter?

2008 Jan 7
Yes, paper filter. If you could get a gold filter this size I'm sure it would work as well as it does for a drip machine. They look like they may be standard size for an espresso machine but I'm only guessing.

BTW, coincidentally just moments ago another person on my brewers' list sent an email about this unit and how impressed he was with it. Only in his case he bought it for his wife for xmas - he's not a coffee drinker. He even started roasting for her ...

2008 Jan 7
Oh, that means (1) i've never used an espresso machine so have no idea if they even take filters, and (2) these are simple round discs of paper, not like normal coffee filters in any way.

2011 Mar 6
For anyone interested, we are selling the Aeropress for $32 + HST, which we believe to be the best price in the city

bytownbeanery.wordpress.com

2011 Mar 6
Zym - you da man! Aeropress needs to take off! The more ppl that get turned on to it the better!

2011 Mar 6
We liked it so much, we bought the company - or something like that :-)

2011 Mar 7
$32 a piece? Very impressive, although I _just_ ordered eight of the things myself and got my hands on them on Saturday morning.

They are absolutely lovely though and rival the Clover machines that I tried out in Vancouver.

2011 Mar 8
Learning about the "inverted" aeropress method, via YouTube has changed my coffee life.

Credit where credit is due, Happy Goat Happy Goat Coffee has too...

And $32 is incredible for this thing, coming from someone who spent almost triple that a few years back via something called the "internet".

Shop local. Especially when they can make it work.

2011 Mar 8
bwc, thanks for mentioning the "inverted" Aeropress -- I hadn't heard of that technique until now! I just tried it and it definitely results in a coffee that has more body than what you get by following the Aeropress instructions. More like a French press coffee but without any grit! Not for everybody I'm sure, but a great thing when you want a little extra ooomph.

2011 Mar 8
Win an Aeropress!

bytownbeanery.wordpress.com

2011 Mar 8
p.s. looked at a couple of 'inverted aeropress' videos and just don't see how it is any different. Though I don't follow the Aeropress instructions either I guess.

2011 Mar 8
today on lifehacker there was a review of coffee presses, plus a video on the aeropress invert.

ca.lifehacker.com

they quote the aeropress price as $30US retail.

2011 Mar 8
It's only different in that it's upside down. No water seeps through the filter so you get a longer extraction. If you've been brewing that way all along, try brewing the other way just to compare. Both good results, just coffee nerdery.

I've started diluting the brew hot water to bring the result closer to the strength of regular coffee, but the thicker, stronger stuff is great too. Be careful with the inverted method though, especially if you are using very freshly roasted coffee, as I've encountered a few overflows.

Great contraption that aeropress.

2011 Mar 8
In response to 'Win an Aeropress", trade law states there must be a "no purchase necessary' option to enter the contest. (Can be limited to one per household though).

So were is my "No purchase necessary" option ?

2011 Mar 9
Just leave a message on his web site...that's how you enter. He's even got the skill testing question angle covered, so you can tell his lawyers are earning their keep. :-) No mention of the dreaded "void where prohibited by the law, and in Quebec".

2011 Mar 9
You get one "free" entry" -- an extra entry with every lb of coffee purchased. Don't have to worry about the "void where prohibited" bit, as it's only open to Ottawa, ON residents. ;)

W/re to the inverted method: I tend to use a wet filter, load my press up with the grounds/water on my cup, and insert the plunger. Very little seeps through the wet filter once the plunger's in place and it allows me to control how long the water is in contact with the ground. Plus it seems potentially "less messy" than the inverted method could quickly become in our busy little house. ;)

2011 Mar 9
Captain, if only you had read the link you'd have found your no purchase option.

2011 Mar 9
I did scan the website and ... yes ... I did miss the no purchase option. Oh well.

The price is still pretty good. I may buy one because I never seem to win anything.

2011 Mar 9
What I do for longer exposure time is a lot less glitzy - I just let the water drip down through the filter and then top it up so that in the end I have a full volume cup with no dilution. Takes a bit more time but makes a great cup of coffee. I use 4 tablespoons of grounds to make about 400ml of coffee.

2011 Mar 10
I was doing the same for a while, but was getting very mixed results. I blame my blade grinder though, as the grind coarseness definitely impacts how fast the water seeps through.

Now if only they made a super tall model to make cups for friends as well..

2011 Mar 13
Here is my method of giving the grounds more contact time.

Less flashy than that upside down stuff.

2011 Mar 13
Thanks. I particularly enjoyed the dancing segment.

Perhaps the french cooking technique of mise en place would be something to consider when making a video. You know ... have everything ready ahead of time? Just a thought.

2011 Mar 13
Yeah, I already know that Rizak - I should plan my videos. But I never do. Most of them have that kind of stuff in them.

2011 Mar 13
Good video. Yes I entered the contest, but have no patience, so I also bought one. I tried both the normal method and the inverted method. Two scoops of coffee each time,and I run two shots of water through, the first one after two minutes, the second one immediately after the first.

I looked up the metal filter for it on google. It's made by photoetching stainless steel ! People are also making their own semi-reusable felt filters for this device.

Right now I'm using the paper filters that come with it. But I would be interested in trying the metal and felt filters at some point too.

I also want to try putting a paper filter on the bottom of the french press to see what effect that gives.

p.s.

Yes, it makes great coffee - very much like the clover machine.

p.p.s.

You can get the photoetched metal filter here: coava.myshopify.com/

(small world - Shopify is a Canadian Software Company located in the Byward Market)

2011 Mar 13
Any interest in the metal filters Francis linked to there?

I contacted Coava about me selling them.

I've also contacted a few manufacturers about having my own made up, if I'm not happy with the price I get from the distributor :-)

2011 Mar 14
I would be interested in trying one . . . not so much for the savings, because it's only $5 for 300 paper filters, but because the metal filter will not absorb the coffee oils.

p.s. I tried putting a paper filter around the plunger of a french press. It didn't work. Once the paper filter gets wet, the sides rip. Also the increased resistance to the plunger causes coffee to be ejected from the carafe at the spout (very messy).

2011 Mar 14
Hi Zymurgist,

If you're looking at getting them manufactured, see if you can get the holes photoetched (similar process to making microchips). Apparently that's how the Coava filter is made.

Yet another variation on using the aeropress - with the etched disk, inverted, removing the plunger and letting it drip down through the metal disk.

BTW, isn't disc spelt with a "c"? Disk I thought was a computer term, short for diskette.

Yet Another Aeropress Method:

coava.myshopify.com

2011 Mar 16
I just ordered some of the metal filters for the Aeropress - they should be here on Friday and we'll be selling them for $15 each - which is $1 cheaper than the retail price of the place I'm buying them from (ahem) :-)

Let me know if interested.

2011 Mar 17
I'm new to this forum. Got here by Googling "Aeropress Ottawa", and found your great discussion. I've currently got a Saeco Vienna SuperAutomatica and I'm thinking of trying the Aeropress since it takes up a lot less space! I usually have a long espresso or even half-mug out of the Saeco. Any idea what differences I would taste in going to the Aeropress? Also, I realize I'd have to get a stand-alone burr grinder. What's a decent model and where do I get one?

2011 Mar 17

2011 Mar 17
Here is a list of all Canadian distributors - baratza.com

The Vituoso would be ideal, but it may depend on your budget. The Maestro's are also amazing.

2011 Mar 17
Welcome to the site! I remember chatting about burr grinders a while back...ah, there it is: Forum - Coffee Mills

Me? I use a kinda-cheapie Cuisinart DBM-8. It's affordable, and grinds well enough for the one Bodum a day I use it for. And it's pretty easy to take apart and clean.

That having been said, if you're extremely serious about your coffee, you can't go wrong with a Rancilio Rocky, so long as you are prepared to spend upwards of $400 on the thing.

2011 Mar 17
God, I feel like such an old man: "I remember back in the day when we talked about this two years ago..."

Is there a way to give myself the thumbs down?

2011 Mar 17
The Bodum burr grinder gets favorable reviews and is a decent price (anywhere between $60-100 if you can find one on sale).

2011 Mar 17
You can get a decent enough burr grinder for 40 to 60 bucks. President's Choice used to have a half decent one.

2011 Mar 17
Use the upside down method if you like expresso, and push the chamber down on the plunger until some foam starts to come out the filter holes before turning it the normal way up for the rest of the plunging.

I actually submitted a design modification to the company, putting a rim on the bottom of the filter cap so more foam can be expressed upside down without spilling.

2011 Mar 18
I will try this modification of method tomorrow morning. What is the reasoning for plunging inverted until you get some foam (or dare I say- crema) (I know it's not really crema, but still)?

I'm actually back (as of today) to trying to perfect my moka/stovetop espresso method. Spent the evening watching march madness and reading Lingle's "The basics of brewing coffee". Oh the wonder graphs and extraction variables.

2011 Mar 18
Our metal filters have arrived - anyone interested can contact me via PM

$15 + HST

2011 Mar 18
I'd read that the metal filters were harder to press than paper ones, but I did not experience that at all.

2011 Mar 19
Have you noticed any difference with oils? I've been wetting the paper filters and have still been getting visibly oily aspects on the surface of the coffee.

I'm planning on experimenting with the specialized cotton used with siphons as an alternate filter in the aeropress. If it makes a difference I will report back.

I'm also thinking that I should enter the Bytown Beanery contest. I think I have the old, non-BPA free model of the aeropress.

2011 Mar 19
I'm just enjoying my first cup now BWC - I did not actually drink the cup from the video as the beans used were way too old :-) There is a very fine little slick on top of the cup. I'll brew my next cup with the paper filter to compare, and report back.

EDIT: good point about the BPA - I may decide to replace my own

2011 Mar 19
Pete asked this question way above and it wasn't yet answered. The quality + speed of the Aeropress attracts me. This was the same reason I bought a Bialetti stove top years ago. It has served me very well/is a tank/has no paper filter just the metal one. The only thing that needs replacing twice a year or so is the rubber sealing ring (i.e. 2 bucks - tops - a year maintenance cost). I boil the water then fill the Bialetti before putting it on the stove for the two minutes it takes to then boil through the ground beans and I have my two cups. Quick. Really great coffee/espresso.
The extra bonus I see is the removal of the need for a stove and the lightness of the Aeropress for travel.
So my question for someone who has used both: do you get a similar end product?

2011 Mar 19
I wish I had a Bialetti to compare, AMR. I did enjoy one at a friends house a few weeks ago, and he was using my beans, but I was not really drinking it with a mind for comparison so I cannot recall how similar it was.

2011 Mar 19
2nd cup now with pre-wetted paper filter. To my eyes there appears to be about the same slick on top. What about taste? Those subtleties are probably beyond my tastebuds. My interest in using the metal filter is mainly to avoid the waste of paper filters, as minimal as that is.

My wife has better tastebuds and will hopefully chime in within the next few days after having done a side-by-side taste like this. She works today so won't likely have time to do it today.

2011 Mar 19
Hi BWC,

The expressed foam does improve the taste of the coffee, to my palette anyway.
Pressing the normal way, the foam doesn't get expressed at all. Depending on how far you push the plunger it either remains visibly in the chamber or gets trapped in the puck of spent grounds.

2011 Mar 19
OK, I think I see why the upside down method may be different - I'm going to be radical and have a 3rd cup this morning, and try it out :-)

2011 Mar 20
I find there appears to be slightly more of a slick on top -- not enough to radically alter the flavor, but a visible difference. I do find that coffee made with the reusable filter feels fuller in my mouth -- more body -- due, I presume, to the fine silt the metal filter allows to pass through. I think I prefer the metal filter, but can see where I might opt to use the paper ones with some coffees.

2011 Mar 20
Yeah, I've noticed that too - even had the tiniest bit of grit in a cup this morning. Was actually kind of enjoyable. Note that we've got the grinder set pretty fine at the moment too - 3/4 or 4/5 the way to the finest setting. So if we wanted to get rid of that we'd just have to set it a bit coarser.

2011 Mar 25
I'd like to pick up a metal filter - perhaps this Saturday.

p.s. Important safety tip with paper filter - do not try running water through the grounds twice! I was making it this way intially, but to refill the chamber you have to pull up on the plunger. The last time I did this, the paper filter lifted up with the vacuum, and when I pushed down again hot coffee splashed out all over the counter and made a huge mess.

2011 Mar 25
I'll get my wife to bring a metal filter to the Baby Shoppe tomorrow if you are OK with going there to buy it. I'll be running around with the kids most of the day. We sell our beans at the Baby Shoppe so it's all cool with her boss :-) I already sent you an email with a google maps link but it is just around the corner from our house.

2011 Mar 25
Thanks a bunch.

. . . but I never did find that Baby Shoppe. Can you also give her a pound of coffee - whatever you've got that fresh?

2011 Mar 25
The Extraordinary Baby Shoppe is at 1131 Wellington, on the corner of Carruthers. It's the same side of the road as the Royal Bank. I can't make change at the shop so you'll have to bring the exact change for the filter ($16.95), or email money transfer the funds ahead of time. :)

We generally have a few pounds of coffee bagged for sale at the shop (1lb Bolivian, 1lb Santo Domingo right now), but our business model is custom roasting on demand. ;)

If you'd like to browse our website (bytownbeanery.ca) and let me know which bean you'd like and the roast level, I'd be happy to roast it for you tonight for pick-up at the shop tomorrow! I'll be there from 10am - 4pm. I'm not on here all the time, so it would be best to contact us by the email address on our website. :)

2011 Mar 25
Well I had a look and the Peruvian has caught my interest . . . (1 lb please) I'll bring cash for the filter and coffee.

If I don't drop by the Baby Shoppe, can I drop by your home base address later in the evening if that's ok with you?

In the back of my mind I may try to go skiing with the kids one last time tomorrow, having noticed on www.skiottawa.com there is a 2 for 1 Spring skiing deal at Vorlage and we haven't been there at all this season . . .

A friend of mine actually grew a coffee tree in Ottawa (started it from a small potted plant from Loblaws I think) and over 10 years it grew so big it was reaching the roof of his sunroom. He was getting about a pound of beans a year from it too . . . but it was kind of taking up most of his sunroom, so he sold it.

2011 Mar 25
Francis, I just sent you email - we'll take this out of the OF Forums at this point.

2011 Mar 27
Ok. I've now tried the upside down method with the metal filter. It is real crema ! And it's very good . . . mmmmm.

I haven't tried the Peruvian coffee yet, because I can't find my coffee grinder. :-(

. . . found the grinder. You Perivian is simply incredible [aeropress, upside down]. You can really taste the fruity flavor in it, and the complexity. It's like a symphony in coffee.

2011 Mar 27
We're so happy you are enjoying your coffee experience, Francis! ;)

2011 Apr 2
Does anyone here actually measure the temperature of their water for the AeroPress? I lost my instructions a while back, and just saw online that 175 F is recommended. Does anyone find a major difference in quality based on this factor? I have been using off-boil (or 195 F - recommended for french press - if I feel like measuring it), with good results - but could I get better?

I've been largely ignoring the AeroPress recently, admittedly, due to my recent fascination with syphon coffee. It is worth the hype.

2011 Apr 2
I tend to have my water around the 180-185 range, but I don't check the temperature religiously. ;) In the end, what matters most is that you're making a cup that you enjoy -- if hotter water makes that happen for you, then by all means go for it!

2011 Apr 3
I got a President's Choice digital turkey thermometer as a gift at Thanksgiving. The reading is instant and you can have it in F or C. I get the water in the kettle around 85 C before pouring into the aeropress.

The coffee from bytownbeanery is very fresh though, and therefore it foams up a lot, a few times the foam has spilled over on me because I put in too much water initially. Also if you want to run water through twice, I recommend the metal filter, as the paper filter can lift up when you retract the plunger. The metal filter makes better tasting coffee too, IMHO.

2011 Oct 9
Yes. 82C to 85C is the ideal temperature. If you are getting too much foaming action on freshly ground beans, try using slightly cooler water.

With the AeroPress, the lower water temperature works because of the direct immersion with the coffee grounds (as opposed to a drop filter which starts hot and ends cooler).

Note that if you find the cooler temperature affecting the flavour, adjust the immersion time!

Hope this helps!

Neil M.
www.AeroPressCanada.ca

2011 Oct 9
One more thing... at my online store, I'm offering a FREE SHIPPING promotion within Canada. Buy two AeroPresses (or spend $69) and we'll cover the whole shipping cost!

www.aeropresscanada.ca

Cheers,
Neil M.

www.AeroPressCanada.ca