Wagyu Beef [Food/Vendor]

2013 Oct 11
in today's flyer, T & T are advertising Wagyu beef for $49.98 a pound. In case you are feeling flush.........

2013 Oct 11
*wagyu

in other words, Kobe beef not raised in Kobe Japan.

2013 Oct 11
I'm well aware that WAGYU is not the same as Kobe. Was that the point of your post or was it to point out my spelling error to one and all? FF, can you fix this please? Thank you.

[FF: done and doner (kebab)]

2013 Oct 11
Okay, yes. There was a spelling error. It isn't a crime, nor should one get so heated when it is pointed out.

Also, not everyone knows the differences that have been pointed out, so while you may have known that Wagyu is not Kobe, I'm sure it was an education to many.

I myself have been known to point out the odd error in some others' posts.

(Those picky pedants will have spent a good 5 seconds trying to figure out if I used the apostrophe properly there.)

2013 Oct 12
Rizak ... ya sumz it up waygu. You really know how to wagyu tounge.

2013 Oct 13
Sorry, seems the inner snark in me came out. Must have been having a bad day as that is not my usual style. FF, thanks for fixing the spelling.

[FF: You're welcome!]

2013 Oct 15
It seems Wagyu ( means Japanese beef) is popular among foodies in North America...at the same time, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada is promoting Canadian beef and pork in Japan. canadianfood.jp
Not only beef and pork, but also soy beans(Edamame),flour, salmon, Matsutake mushroom and maple syrup arepopular items and exported from Canada to Japan.
I wish I could buy Mastutake Mushroom!

2013 Oct 15
Cant say I have tried any form of Japanese beef but had a friend there on an expat for a few years. He ended up going out for dinner at some posh resto and had Kobe beef. He is just as happy with a bag of chips for dinner as a fancy meal. He said it was one of the best things he had ever eaten. The Kobe beef that is.

2013 Oct 16
Wagyu and Kobe beef designations are a total scam anywhere outside of Japan and Macau, China - the only two places you can get it in the world.

"Many suppliers sell North American or Australian bred Wagyu beef. This is beef typically borne from Japanese cows, but may have been crossbred with other cows like Angus. While still more heavily marbled than standard beef, it is not Wagyu or Kobe."

The majority of Wagyu beef in Canada has less than 10% of the genetic lineage of the original Wagyu cattle breed. Honestly, find a good butcher and buy the best cut of beef you can and you'll still save money over what they charge for Wagyu.

2013 Oct 16
rare for sure, but Famu, the Japanese butcher referred to in the TorStar article Stuart mentions (www.thestar.com), seems to sell "Wagyu (known as Kobe beef in North America) from Japan"?

famu.ca/