coffee experiments [General]

2013 Oct 5
Real or placebo?

www.drbunsen.org

2013 Oct 5
I dunno. Preference is highly subjective and, for the most part, the average person's palate is skewed as to what constitutes "good coffee". I've had a person insist that a coffee wasn't "strong enough", when what they meant was "my coffee isn't bitter". Drip coffee typically produces a bitter cup, and most people have a drip maker.

I would be more interested in his results if it was done using coffee professionals as test subjects.

I would also like to know the quality of the beans he is buying. All he says is: "I buy the cheapest whole-bean shade-grown coffee I can find in my preferred roast." This tells me his beans are likely less than ideal. Low quality beans will produce a low quality cup..

To put it another way, my uncle would insist up and down that Coors light was the best beer on the market and that micro-brews tasted like crap. Why? Because it was what he was used to!

Drink diner drip coffee, etc. long enough and you'll train your brain to accept that those flavours are what you should find in your coffee cup..

As far as his Aeropress comments: I love our Aeropress, but the instructions it comes with are terrible. Really, really terrible.. ;)

My $0.02!

2013 Oct 12
Taste is subjective. I do not like espresso shots from Starbucks (yuck !). But I had a very good one from East Side Marios. I think I will go back there again soon for another one :-)

2013 Oct 12
Francis, I am also not a fan of Starbucks espresso. ;)

2013 Oct 18
For those who haven't seen this kickstarter yet for the 'Cold Bruer' coffee maker www.kickstarter.com

2013 Oct 18
It looks very nice Pete, and suitable for those who must have all the coffee gadgets, but all you really need is a bowl or a jar and a filter, or just use an old Bodum like I do. Then you too can make cold brewed coffee and enjoy it in lattes, ice cream and drinks (see Dark Moon at www.bonappetit.com).

2013 Oct 18
Hario also makes a nice, simple cold brewer.

That's a neat product, but the practical person in me looks at it and says "meh, too many parts to break". FWIW, it's also why I don't use a french press anymore, though I'm looking forward to checking out the Espro.

2013 Oct 19
Large mason jar works great for cold brew. Or even a large tomato sauce jar, recycled.