Guinea fowl? [Cooking]

2013 Sep 30
My parents arrived for a surprise visit and brought a bunch of meat from my brother's farm, including a lovely guinea fowl (now in my freezer).

I've never worked with guinea fowl before. Is anyone here familiar with it? Any tips/tricks to get the most out of it? :)

2013 Sep 30
A farmer friend of mine raises these, and she calls them chickens on flavour steroids, lol!

We like to brine ours, (because my kids like salt), then we roast for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees with the lid off. Then, lid on and let it cook at about 250 or 300 degrees for about, um, well,,, until the meat is tender. Sorry, I tend to cook by sense of smell rather than by time.

So maybe not that helpful, but generally, we've found that slower cooking is better, as guinea fowl are much older than the standard chicken that you might put into your oven.

My farmer friend does all sorts of fancy pants stuff, like adds herbs and cream to it whilst it's cooking, but I'm too lazy for all that. ;-)

2013 Sep 30
Thanks -- I figure it can't be too different, but thought I should ask. I only have one, and I don't want to bugger it up. ;)