Grassfed butter? [General]

2013 Sep 14
Does anyone know where to buy grassfed butter in Ottawa? I know organic milk and butter is more readily available now, but I have yet to see something this specialized. There is grassfed beef at the farmers markets and we buy that from time to time but I don't know about any dairy farms in the area that grassfeed their cows and sell to local stores after pasteurization.

Any ideas?

P.S. I'm also looking for grassfed gelatin if ever anyone has seen this:
www.amazon.com

Hard to come by I believe. I wish we could order food from the US, they have so many specialized products on Amazon!

2013 Sep 14
And how to they get the butter to eat the grass ?

2013 Sep 14
Captain Caper: You said the words I bite my tongue to not say when I first read this. The smart aleck in me is running strong today. ;)

2013 Sep 14
I don't know who this Aleck guy is .... but I do seem to have some colorful Rowntree/Nestlé candy coated chocolate in my trousers.

(How 'bout a thumbs up if you get this).

2013 Sep 14
I'm not sure I *want* to get that. It sounds vaguely suggestive. ;)

2013 Sep 15
"Smarties"

2013 Sep 15
I see that Amazon lists it as kosher. Perhaps a supermarket that has a kosher section such as Loblaws might carry it?

2013 Sep 15
It's near impossible to find REAL grass fed butter in Canada.
Far easier to find in the States & it's usually a independent farmer that sells it @ probably double the cost of regular butter...

2013 Sep 15
" .... probably double the cost of regular butter... "

Double the American cost or Canadian cost ? HUGE difference.

.... @Rizak: You only got half the riddle. What's the complete answer ?

2013 Sep 15
This past May I was visiting Fifth Town Artisan Cheese in Prince Edward County and bought a gorgeous grassfed butter imported from Italy. I know that Fifth Town is now owned by Italian food importers operating out of Toronto so I would think that they distribute this butter along with their other wares to retail outlets. Here is their website information if you'd like to make contact and find out if they supply any retailers in Ottawa: www.fifthtown.ca/

2013 Sep 15
You're right of course Captain; I was speaking of American pricing so Grass fed butter in the States is close to our price for run of the mill butter...

2013 Sep 15
Smarty ... pants?

2013 Sep 17
If you buy certified organic butter, the cows have to be grass fed as long as the season allows. So you will actually see a colour change in the butter from season to season, (because many certified organic dairy's raise Jersey's who's milk takes on that beautiful yellow colour when they eat grass. Not all breeds of cows will show that colour change. But certified organic doesn't mean 100% grass fed. That's tricky business in Canada with our short grass growing season.

If you are looking for raw butter from grass fed cows, and you can't keep your own cow then you have your work cut out for you. You can start by frequently contacting your members of parliament, the health units, the Dairy Board, the Ministry of Agriculture, etc., and tell them you want access to this food.

It's currently ok for you to buy it, but illegal for farmers to sell it. Those that do sell it are willing to cross an ocean for you, so it's great if you are willing to jump some puddles for those same farmers. Help get it legalized. ;-)

And sorry, couldn't resist posting this picture. I posted this online a while back. I too, am a smarty-pants. ;-)

2013 Sep 20
Thanks Johanna and organicgirl.

I'll also check out the kosher sections.

The rest of the comments...well you just got my hopes up seeing that many responses only to crush my dreams of hsving a side of grass w/my butter.

2013 Sep 20
My Jersey is about to calf in the next 4 days and after that I will have a tonne of grass fed butter.

2013 Sep 20
Krusty, if you make your butter indoors, it's much easier to keep the grass out of it. The butter will spread and taste much better without all that vegetation. ;-) Hope the calving goes well. This is a great time of year to have a cow freshen!

paleomom, I'm glad you have a sense of humour! Send me a PM and I can suggest a few places you can find what you need when the milk production on Krusty's Jersey slows down later in her lactation.

2013 Sep 29
I bought some butter today at Price Chopper in Ogdensburg. It is called Meadow Butter from Kriemhild Dairy Farms. It states that it is " from our grass-fed cows". It cost $5.99 for an 8 ounce tub. I have included a link so you can read about it. Hope this helps.

www.kriemhilddairy.com

2013 Sep 30
There's this butter: journalmetro.com

2013 Oct 1
It is extremely difficult to have 100% grass-fed anything in Canada due to the fact that we have... winter.

Dairy is heavily regulated in Canada, and if you're thinking of bringing some back from the US, it's illegal to bring anything more than a very small quantity back.

2013 Oct 5
Organicgirl,

Do you know where to buy that butter from Quebec in the article?

2013 Oct 7
Couldn't tell you what stores carry it. I don't get off the farm much, and when I do, it's not to grocery stores. ;-)

In the past, if I'm short on cream until another cows freshens, I've ordered cases of it through ONFC. I *think* but I'm not 100% sure that David Charette from Terre a Terre sells L'Ancetre cheese and their butter at his veggie stand at the Ottawa Organic Farmers Market.

We've started up our buying club with ONFC again too, so you could possibly pick it up at our table too. But surely some of the stores in Ottawa or across the river would carry it. The L'Ancetre website says this:

"You can buy L'Ancêtre Cheeses and Butters in most of Quebec supermarkets as IGA, Loblaws, etc., and in almost all Canadian Natural Foods Markets as Métro and a lot more."

2013 Nov 7
FoodTravel - I just bought some at Kardish in the Glebe!

2013 Nov 7
Thanks for the heads up paleohero.

I had seen some L'Ancetre organic cheese at Superstore in Westboro but I did not see the butter.