Looking for non-hydrogenated palm shortening! [General]

2013 Sep 11
I'm trying to find non-hydrogenated palm shortening and I can't seem to find it anywhere in Ottawa. I heard that maybe Pantry Plus in Orleans has it, but that's a hike for me so I'm looking for any other suggestions! Help? Thanks!

2013 Sep 12
Is this for some kind of gluten-free, vegan baking experiment?

2013 Sep 12
Will those bottles of reddish palm oil from Africa, found in Caribean stores, do ?

2013 Sep 14
I was just looking for the same thing! The new Silk Road Foods company on Merivale has red palm oil (solid-ish), however I did not see shortening. I bought the oil anyway because it's supposed to be really good for you (in moderation).

2013 Sep 14
I think the brand Earthbalance is non-hydrogenated, it's a blend of different oils and I've seen it at Loblaws.
www.earthbalancenatural.com

2013 Sep 15
Ironically, EarthBalance is the brand most vegans I know turn to for margarine and shortening. Maybe Rizak had some sort of foretelling.

2013 Sep 16
"Well, I am psychic, you know."

2013 Oct 1
No, not a baking experiment. For deep frying, actually. I want a non-hydrogenated oil, and I don't want to use canola/veg oils and the like.

I've never checked out earth balance because I don't use margarine. Didn't know they made shortening but I'll take a look for it. I suspect it won't be much cheaper than my current source (ebay or buying from tropicaltraditions.com when I'm in the US. It would take a lot of little bricks to fill my fryer.

Red palm oil won't work. It has a stronger flavour.

Thanks for the suggestions. Pantry Plus in orleans didn't have it, nor bulk barn.

2013 Oct 1
I only saw the earth balance margarine at my local Loblaws today, there was some shortening at Hartman's and Herbs and Spice on Bank street if you're still looking for some.