Best Asian downtown? [General]

2013 Aug 23
What would you recommend dt especially near byward market?

2013 Aug 23
What is dt?

2013 Aug 23
Dt-downtown

2013 Aug 23
Thank GAWD you saved that extra 1.2 seconds of typing ...

2013 Aug 23
DT is a fairly common abbreviation.

2013 Aug 23
#5 on Urban Dictionary! ;)

www.urbandictionary.com (nsfw)

2013 Aug 23
Evidently not common enough ...

2013 Aug 23
Are you being an idiot on purpose or is this something you regulary do?

You spent more than 1.2seconds making a meaningless comment. STFU. You can answer the question or not but stop making pointless comments.

2013 Aug 23
I figured out what "dt" meant right away, but what is "asian?"

That's like asking where the best European food is, only less specific.

2013 Aug 23
I love all Asian. I'm not picky. I'm open to trying something new.

2013 Aug 23
Grouping diverse cuisines by their home continent seems arbitrary and pointless. Indian cuisine (Asian) has no more in common with Korean (Asian) than it does with Moroccan (African), Peruvian (South American), or Jamaican (North American). They are all so incredibly different one simply can't compare them with each other.

The question is just too broad for me to answer. It's like when people ask, "I want to eat somewhere nice tonight. Where should I go?"

Maybe someone else can help you. :P lol

2013 Aug 23
I love Indian, Chinese, and Vietnamese the most. But I've tried Thai, Japanese, and Korean and love them as well.

I asked broadly on purpose because I want to get a sense of what Asian cuisine people concentrate on in their reponses. (as I don't have experience with every one, but every asian cuisine I've tried, I've loved)

Chinese is prob the fav of all.

2013 Aug 23
Temper, temper. Do you really need to resort to ad hominems?

2013 Aug 23
Cafe Saffron serves good Asian. And it really is a mix of a few distinct cuisines, but mostly Chinese. Szechuan style hot & sour soup (I prefer their Vietnamese style), Thai style curries, chinese stir frys and general tsao, viet style spring rolls, sushi sometimes, mango salad etc. A "2 item" (with rice and soup or spring roll) just went to $8.50 after being $8 since they opened, 8 years ago they said. You get your food in line and can sit down or take away. It's on Kent at Laurier, if you haven't tried it and you're looking for a quick lunch (they also have some a la carte items for dinner, but I haven't tried them) I highly recommend.

2013 Aug 23
other good places relatively close to the market:

C'est Japon à Suisha
Alirang Restaurant

2013 Aug 25
iheartsamosa In zy's defence I did not know what dt was either. And I live downtown. I guess I am behind the times.

If you are looking for recommendations I like Café Shafali on Dalhousie and East India Co. on Somerset.

2013 Aug 25
Regarding the use of abbreviations, please keep in mind that each word you write here will likely be read by thousands of people (hundreds daily and thousands eventually over time).

Saving yourself a few keystrokes by using abbreviations does not show respect for your audience. Clarity and proofreading do. It's worth thinking about! :-)

[EDIT: I have changed the forum topic from "best asian dt" to "Best Asian downtown?" as my contribution to the clarity movement.]

2013 Aug 26
There's a really good Manchu Wok dt in the Rideau Center. If that doesn't tickle your fancy and you've got a hankering for Japanese there's a Teriyaki Experience in the same mall.

2013 Aug 26
And the Rideau Center is dt right next to the bm.

2013 Aug 26
I really like the Angry Dragonz Truck on Gloucester, they do a nice pan-asian melange of dishes (Thai, Mandarin, Cantonese and Korean style dishes.)

Just don't expect quick service the truck takes awhile.

2013 Aug 26
"Please remember the rules you agreed to: treat other foodies with the same respect you expect from them."

Thought perhaps it might be helpful to reiterate the posting rules of this forum, as outlined in the beige space below the comment box. Pretty sure it is commonly accepted that snark and sarcasm do not fall under the category of 'respect'.

"I love Indian, Chinese, and Vietnamese the most. But I've tried Thai, Japanese, and Korean and love them as well."

@iheartsamo Not sure if Chinatown is part of 'Downtown' in your books, but if so I highly recommend Huong's Bistro on Booth St for absolutely divine Vietnamese and very pleasant service. The Ban Xeo pancakes are heavenly.

Hung Sum on Somerset St is excellent and all handmade but I've stopped going there thanks to their abysmal service and condescending attitude. Apparently they don't like it when you point out that their friends were seated 45 minutes after you arrived yet are receiving their food before your table. This never seems to happen during the week at lunch, just weekends when the chef's wife is running the show.

Last year I had very impressive Indian food at India Palace on Albert Street. Not quite as good as what I've enjoyed at Little India Cafe, but the decor was equally bad :o)

Lastly it's been some time since I've eaten at the East India Company on Somerset just west of Elgin St, but I used to really enjoy their buffet there and felt it was good value for the quality and selection (<$20).

2013 Aug 26
Since we're taking the time to remind others of the rules...

We are positive: focus on GOOD experiences

"Hung Sum on Somerset St is excellent and all handmade but I've stopped going there thanks to their abysmal service and condescending attitude"

2013 Aug 27
And don't forget that we don't fall asleep during sex!

2013 Aug 27
"Pretty sure it is commonly accepted that snark and sarcasm do not fall under the category of 'respect'."

No sarcasm allowed? Aren't you the author of this gem? :)

Forum - Went to Village, left not a happy camper

2013 Aug 27
I don't know whether to shudder or titter at this whole thread. Maybe it has become a combination of the two... and I don't mean "tudder." ;-)

2013 Aug 27
Bwa, ha, ha! Great catch ollie!

warby - you can shudder and titter all you like - as long as you don't twerk!

2013 Aug 27
Hey Ollie... ever hear of satire???

"A genre of literature in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism with a view to drawing attention to both particular and wider issues in society."

{Wait a minute, that was sarcastic wasn't it? Shit... I mean s**t... let me try again...}

Hi Ollie: yes, I am the author of the post you link to and while I appreciate how it can be construed as snark and sarcasm, it was actually conceived as a satirical piece based on some of the more amusing and at times outlandish exchanges on Ottawa Foodies. Please note that it was definitely not directed at any one poster but rather making fun of the sometimes 'intense' nature of this forum as a whole :o)

2013 Aug 27
Hi Stuart: I do applaud the up-with-people/feel good disclaimer that Fresh Foodie has added to the homepage, and IMO my response does focus on the positive. I have given iheartsamo 4 downtown recommendations with the caveat that while the dim sum is both excellent and handmade at Hung Sum, the service has alienated my business. He may or may not have the same experience: some people sit by idly then go online and have a rant, others simply expect sub-par service to go along with certain establishments, and still others don't even notice these things. At any rate, I still heartily recommend the food but will let iheartsamo decide for himself what level of service he is willing to accept.

2013 Aug 27
I hereby declare my comments above as satire ...

2013 Aug 27
rofl

2013 Aug 27
Hi Johanna: I responded in a completely snarky and sarcastic way, but I have actually eaten at both of those spots and I will say that the food at that Manchu Wok is the best of any of the ones in Ottawa and furthermore that I enjoy Teriyaki Experience on the whole.

Is it the level of food that the majority of the contributors on OF seek out? Not really.

Is it an acceptable response to someone asking for suggestions for a very broad category of "Asian" in the dt area? I think so.

I'm loving all hte thumbs downs I'm getting, but more importantly I'm happy to see that at least Zym agrees with me since I'm getting at least one thumbs up per post and he's got he same zany, messed up sense of humor I do.

2013 Aug 27
Japanese: I like Suisha Garden,Sushi Umi and Genji.
Chinse :I like Jade land and Lichee View Restaurant.

Not all the restaurants are located in Downtown, but I recommend above
if you like asian food.

2013 Aug 29
I second Aisu with regards to Genji (dt) and Sushi Umi (on WW, one block down from the WG), somehow Japanese seems very different from the other Asian cuisines listed above so I didn't think to venture this way. Kiko on Preston St (in LI) is another solid choice and they have a nice sidewalk patio; I can also recommend their Umeshi Plum Martini as a very classy aperitif.

@Stuart, I enjoy snark and sarcasm as much as the next smart ass but have found that more often than not it causes friction in the digital sphere. That said, I'm in no position at all to take any offense from you given that I pinched 6 of your double pork chops from the Krusty Homestead last month. To be honest it was Mr. Johanna who was all over these, I personally thought they were excessive and decadent, so thick and fat, but after BBQing them last weekend I now realize that you are a domestic god. You have my total respect, a 2-inch pork chop is truly the only way to fly ;o)

2013 Aug 30
Pho Truc on Somerset and Bank is a good Vietnamese restaurant. I second Suisha Gardens. Green Papaya on Queen street and Som Tum are two good Thai places as well.

2013 Aug 30
Thanks for the suggestions :) Especially you Johanna...I'm sure we would have fun dining together. :)

2013 Aug 30
So Good is prob my fav resto actually. It is just slightly out of the way unfortunatley.