Odd Kamado Moisture Problem [General]

2013 Aug 12
Ever since I moved my big green egg off the side step and into the back yard a few months ago it has been having moisture buildup problems. Whenever I start it and start warming it up, after 10 minutes or so there will be water weeping out from under the cast iron lid and down over the outsides of the egg.

Now I just went to fire it up after about 3 weeks of not being used and there was a bunch of mould inside! Wow! I've never seen that before.

Does anyone clean theirs? I grabbed same rags and gave the inside a good wipe and now I'm going to burn it out.

Could it be because it is on the ground now and there is a lot of vegetation nearby?

2013 Aug 12
Lack of use and/or using a cover will allow mould to form. Being on the ground may help that as well. With all BGEs, a full on burn is required on occasion to burn off all residues. Oh, and it has been a wet, crappy summer. Good luck!

2013 Aug 13
I used to have regular mould problems. Now, after coals are fully choked out, I slip a shim under the lid to prop it up an eighth or quarter of an inch. No mould at all for several months now.

2013 Aug 13
Thanks BigGreenAwesome - I was thinking about doing something like that so good to know it works

2013 Aug 13
Zym - I have a Vision Kamado, similar to the BGE. I had mine completely shut down and it did the same thing as yours, moisture... so I keep the vent cracked open on the front (not quite the same design as the BGE), akin to shimming since it encourages airflow, and it worked!