Phin Coffee [General]

2013 Aug 10
Since I started playing around with Moka Pots (Espresso like Italian Coffee), I've been googling other brewing systems. The Moka Pot is really good; what else have we been missing?

I came across Phin Coffee, a system from Vietnam. I also discovered Vietnam is the world's second largest coffee producer.

en.wikipedia.org

"Vietnam is the second largest producer after Brazil, accounting for 14.3 per cent of the world market share."

I haven't tried one of these yet, but it's supposed to be stronger than drip but less strong than espresso (perhaps like an Italian Moka ?). It's often made with condensed milk over ice. Sounds great. I saw the Vitenamese Phin system, which brews a single cup, in a store on Somerset for $5. I didn't see any Phin systems on amazon.ca, but there are sets for sale on www.amazon.com

I also found some "Trung Nguyen Gourmet Blend" coffee on Somerset. Will try some of that in my Moka pot tomorrow, then go back for a Phin set tomorrow and try it with that too for comparison.

Exciting. :-)

www.trung-nguyen-online.com

And more about Vietnamese Coffee here:

www.vietnamese-coffee.com

2013 Aug 10
I'm trying some "Trung Nguyen Gourmet Blend" made in a moka pot now, black. It's very rich and smooth with almost no bitterness and no "burnt" aroma. I wish I knew more about coffee variables to describe it better . . . :-( It's good though, for what that's worth. Maybe as smooth as Jamaica Blue, or even smoother, but Jamaica Blue was more "fruity".

. . .and just finished it. It was damn good ! Really.

2013 Aug 10
In which store did you find the coffee?

2013 Aug 10
Phuoc Loi at 791 Somerset (Somerset and Booth).

The box says . . .

Ingredients: Arabica, Robusta, Excelsa, Catimor

It has calories (apparently vietnamese coffee is roasted in butter)!

344 KCal / 100g.

The 500g box cost $5.80

---------------------------

The Phin filter set I saw in couple of stores eastward on Somerset. Saigon Meats and Vegetables (I think). I didn't look for it in the other stores. I think I want to get the screw down filter type (more control) in stainless steel.

goo.gl/maps/Rt47Z

2013 Aug 11
I got a Phin set from Saigon Meats and Vegetables ($5) and a set of espresso shot glasses (99 cents) from Manphong nearby .

I would say my first cup from it was comparable to coffee French Press. Not as strong or rich as a moka pot.

But it's a good single serving system and the equipment is inexpensive.

2013 Aug 11
Nifty - thanks for that Francis, I want to try one of those!

2013 Aug 11
This making Vietnamese coffee video has funky music :-) LOL.

2013 Aug 11
The cups and tray I got at Manphong, cups were 99 cents each . . .

2013 Aug 11
And beside a regular sized coffee cup for comparison . . .

2013 Aug 11
I have had the outputs of these fairly often, as this is how good Vietnamese ice coffee is made. I really enjoy the stuff, but have never tried it at home.