Foodies, need your help [General]

2013 Aug 5
So it's my birthday and my friends have been bugging me to take them out. Since we are a bunch of young black guys I've been thinking of making a reservation at an Asian buffet cos believe me we eat a lot. But i don't know any...i need a very nice restaurant that is cheap cos I'll be paying for everyone. I'm looking at $9.99 per person or anything lower lol. Please help..thanks

2013 Aug 5
Try getting new friends.

Ones that take YOU out on your birthday !

2013 Aug 5
Agree with Captain Caper - find better friends!

In my younger days when a big group of cheapskates used to go out for a feed before a night of drinking, our favorite spot was the Royal Treasure.

Now it isn't a buffet, but it was cheap, good food and the portions were HUGE. Ordering 1 main course per person was waaay too much (and I'm a big lad who likes his food). This way you get the benefit of actually ordering what you want to eat (and it'll be fresh) and you can still share dishes. Think of it as your own private buffet.

I would reserve a table though - it could get crazy busy with a line out the door.

Cheers,
Ratty.

2013 Aug 5
It's tricky to find great, cheap Asian buffets. Are you thinking sushi, or other stuff?

The last time this came up a couple of suggestions made were Kirin Express (Bank and Albert), and Emerald Buffet (Selkirk near Montgomery).

2013 Aug 5
@Ratty Thank you, the thing Caper doesn't understand is my friends took me out on their birthdays, it's what we've always done...and i'm happy with the friends i have.

@Momomoto not sushi...thanks I'll check them up.

2013 Aug 5
About finding friends ... I'm guessing it could just be a cultural difference. When I lived in Germany the norm there was for the birthday person to treat their friends, not the other way around like it is here.

2013 Aug 5
agree re: Kirin Express at Bank/Albert. they have a reasonable Canadian Chinese buffet and a la carte AYCE sushi. it has good turnover too, at lunchtime at least (a key with any buffet). i would imagine this time of year would be busy with tourists at dinnertime as well, so you could expect fresh food. i like their wings here.

secondly, there is also Yang Ming on Merivale. again it is busy all the time hence good turnover and fresh food. note both Yang Ming and Kirin will likely set you back $20/head at dinner though. with Kirin Express, however, you'll be in reasonable proximity to Barbarella's for the after party.

Royal Treasure is a good pick. 1 main per person (~$10-$14) will feed a group really well and the food is a step above any buffet in the city. try their pepper salt squid/tofu and hot & sour soup. anything stir-fried here is good too. only issue as Ratty pointed out is getting a spot - the place is tiny and they really only have 2 "big" group tables.