Foodies! Where can I find...? [General]

2013 Aug 3
Hi Foodies!
I am an Ottawa native who has been living in Vancouver and Montreal for the last 12 years. I am moving back to the Nation's Capital, and am desperately looking for foodie opinions on restaurants, bulk and specialty stores, events, wine - you name it, I want to know about it!

I have a love of all things fried (I know...), sushi, wine, baking and condiments. Food-wise, I will try anything at least once.

Let's hear what positive things the Foodie Community has to say about you Ottawa...

Thanks!

ForTheLuvaFood :)

2013 Aug 4
Haha.. Welcome back. I would suggest that you simply read the contributions and postings on this site over the next little while. That will answer your questions...

2013 Aug 4
Yeah, what warby said. I held off answering until someone else did because my gut-reaction response was a bit impolite. But basically what you are looking for is a site like this and what you are asking is for someone to summarize the whole site for you in this one thread. Sorry, but I don't think that is a realistic expectation. Just hang out here for a while and you'll get what you need.

Or ask more specific questions ...

2013 Aug 4
Ditto what zymurgist said!

2013 Aug 5
+1

2013 Aug 6
yes.

2013 Aug 6
I just want to emphasize ... ask more specific questions.

We love food and we're hear to answer any and all questions! So bring it on!

2013 Aug 6
...and when you get here from Van, make sure you bring enough sushi for everyone.

2013 Aug 6
I feel like derailing this conversation and talking about sushi now! :-(

I propose that the only reason Vancouver has better sushi than Ottawa is simply that they have higher standards and expectations. Whether this is the result of greater competition or a larger Japanese population (or both), I don't know.

Since almost all sushi fish must be frozen, there's no geographic reason for the discrepancy so it must be a demographic or economic one.

Discuss! :-)

2013 Aug 6
Two points in response...

TO and Mtl have massive populations who will devour massive amounts of quality sushi in any given time, including at high end places like Blowfish or Shodan.

So you have the low-end lunch counter places who do just fine, the mid-level that will find a local crowd and carry on, and a high end market that will reward quality and creativity and ignore anything less.

Don't like your TO/Mtl lunch counter, local or high-end sushi place any more? no problem... there are six more within 15 minutes who will kick its fishy ass to get your dolars.

Sushi in Ottawa must come from either Mtl or Toronto, which adds to the cost, so as a starting point, better sushi will cost even more here, where there are less people to eat it.

The lunch counters do fine because the office crowd is there and doesn't have time to search, and the medium level gets by because there's minimal competition in local markets... if the place in the local strip mall isn't any good, are you willing to drive to a whole other neighborhood? As for high end... do we even have anything on par with Mtl's Kaizen in Ottawa? I don't think we do... (i'm generalizing to an extent of course)

Add to the fact that, perhaps just my jaded opinion, Ottawa is notoriously tolerant of mediocrity such that a large chunk of takeaway places can get by just fine charging $7.95 for six tiny cucumber rolls and two pieces of low quality fish, and there's no reason for vendors to push harder and do better.

X-ref'ing my Delivery Sushi review from last week, i was surprised because this was a mid-level place, focused on delivery, that actually provided a higher quality sushi than most that i've tried in Ott. An exception that proves the rule, more or less.

...so yah, demographic and economic.

And to tie it back to the original topic, Vancouver is like Mtl and TO, only moreso given the proximity the massive amounts of fish and seafood and an even bigger population of sushi fans who know six places to get better food if their chosen restaurant cheaps out, slacks off or fails to provide satisfaction.

2013 Aug 6
Some of the comments here are why I rarely post on this site; you guys can be so mean in your anonymity! I can't blame the OP for being a bit anxious about Ottawa's food scene, especially when coming from such great cities as Montreal and Vancouver. But welcome back to Ottawa, OP! You might not be as satisfied with Ottawa's slim sushi pickings as in Vancouver, but i've had pretty good stuff at Sushi Umi, Kiko Sushi and at Naked Fish.

In terms of other great places to try out, I heartily recommend Art-is-in-Bakery (just don't pay too much attention to the total at the cash register; it is a good occasional indulgence!), Murray Street, Sidedoor, Supply and Demand (now THIS is a great place to visit to get some yummy seafood) and Play. I also concur with the other posters, if you hear about a place you'd like to try out, search for it here and the reviews will usually let you know if its a worthwhile bet. The food scene here is definitely on the rise and there are some great eats to be had here!

2013 Aug 7
I didn't think there was anything mean about some OFoodies telling the poster everything they were looking for is already here.