good 'party' rooms [General]

2013 Jul 29
Looking for a good and affordable(!) place where I could get a private/party/whatever room for about 15-20 people.

I'd prefer some tasty apps and bites etc (like trio, say), but would settle for good pub food or other misc. grease. Location isn't a big deal but it's good if it's busable from Nepean.

i don't know if such a thing exists but even like a mostly empty room with some chairs and a couple tables where we could bring beer and order pizza to would work.

any suggestions? In brief research so far i've come up with Havana Cafe and Union 613 (though i'm not certain they even have a room to be booked)

2013 Jul 29
Armada Lounge above the Brig

2013 Jul 29
I'm not sure of about the beer, but there is a seniors room available to rent at the Nepean Sportsplex where you can bring your own food. There are also other meeting rooms there and at other city of ottawa centres but I'm not sure you can bring your own beer and food. (Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge of our liquor laws has more info)

I can't vouch for these rooms personally but that's what I came up with when I was researching event spaces. (I ended up going with a banquet hall but it was for 50 people and I needed it catered) I do remember attending a baby shower at a City of Ottawa meeting room and the hosts brought their own food.

There's a big difference between a place like Union 613 and ordering in your own pizza and beer :)

Good luck :)

2013 Jul 29
If you like The Works, their Richmond Rd. & Churchill location has one. We used it a few years ago for an office party. Its got comfy furniture, tables, games etc. They assign a waiter to the room. Can remember the cost, but we were on a budget.

2013 Jul 29
Some restaurant ideas here from an earlier discussion on this:
Forum - Private room

Side note on the room and bringing your own food + drink idea: Poll that group of 15-20 because if one of them lives in a condo in Ottawa, chances are they have a party room available in their building.

2013 Jul 29
Probably not bussable but you could check out Chef Blackies new digs @ NEXT in Stittsville. I'm pretty sure the food would be what you are looking for as well as space.

2013 Jul 29
Biaggios Italian Kitchen on Richmond Rd in Nepean has a private room downstairs with its own bar...all you need to do is pay for food based on your number of people and you can use it. Very reasonable prices and the food is good. We had our wedding reception there for ~95 people and everybody had a great time.

www.biagios.ca

2013 Jul 29
Thank you all for the suggestions. I did see the other thread but they were a little too upscale for us. Had also checked in with the city but haven't been able to get straight/consistent info on outside catering and liquor permits. Condo was a great idea but a lot of out-of-towners make up the group, no condo owners among us.

Still looking, it might come down to who is willing to set aside a private room for a group as small as 10 or 12.

2013 Jul 30
the downstairs at clocktower on bank.

2013 Jul 30
You can also try Brittania Yacht Club. They have a couple of private rooms and onsite food. uhmm someone might need to be a member.

2013 Jul 31
A college of mine use the Brittania Yacht Club fairly recently (like a month or two ago)and was very pleased with the results. Was very affordable and has a pretty location. Not sure that she got a private room but she had a section of the restaurant/big table to celebrate her mother's birthday with a people of varied age ranges. Her mother is elderly with mobility issues and apparently it worked very well. I think they ordered off the regular menu. If during your enquiries what I am saying doesn't match it might have been the Nepean Sailing club, not so sure.

2013 Aug 1
Nepean Sailing Club has elevator and dining room is on second floor and set up as two large rooms where you see mostly boats. There is outdoor patio space on a wooden deck.

Brittania had some rooms on ground floor and a large banquet room on upper deck as well as a smaller room as well as an outdoor patio under a tent and you see water since the boats are to the side and back.