clam strips [General]

2013 Jul 25
This is the first summer we're not travelling east in a long time, and the Dragonlady is craving her regular feeding of clam strips. She actually has a drawer where she puts money on a regular basis that she calls her clam fund.

Please, no giggling.

I'm wondering if there is any place nearby where we can get a good plate of deep fried breaded clam strips. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

2013 Jul 25
Reminds me of this fine Chinese fellow I planted trees with...after a late afternoon of rabbit hunting he would go pick freshwater clams and cook us all an amazing meal.

I am happy to pass on the favor to Dragonlady and see if there is an abundance of freshwater clams in the Ottawa river.

Eat local!

2013 Jul 26
I haven't found good ones in Ottawa but they are on the menu at Red Lobster. Not very plump but might satisfy the craving in a pinch. Best ones I've had within a couple of hours of Ottawa are at Wendy's Diner on North Main in Massena NY. They are not as good as having them somewhere actually near the ocean, but they are the only ones that approach something decent within an easy drive from Ottawa. If anyone knows better, I'd love to hear about them too.

2013 Jul 26
This is one of those seafood issues where Ottawa is not our friend. I too know the perils of clamlessness.

It's been a while, but i wasn't impressed with Red Lobster. Better to clamour in silence than eat those little salt and breading strips.

My recall is briny but i think that the Rockcliffe Boathouse used to have them and they were decent. No idea if they still do but they were worth shelling out for.

I've seen them at Pelican and Lapointe (Kanata). May be worth a call.

Whatever happens, remain clam.

2013 Jul 26
Should I keep my clams in a carry on?

BTW, I will never eat at a Red Lobster. I've tried. It's heinous.

2013 Jul 31
Rizak, red lobster on merivale is kind of a neighbourhood "hangout" for seniors and families celebrating birthdays. Yes I've had crappy food there, but I've also had good meals if you stick to what is fresh on the daily menu. It can be expensive but it's my go-to restaurant when I need to go somewhere with seniors, who tend to rave endlessly about the biscuits. Much prefer it to the seniors' other favorite option - Swiss Chalet!

2013 Jul 31
We never eat out, but I'm often sent on a foraging mission to some restaurant or other to gather and bring back. Let me tell you, the take out from Red Lobster is nothing like the sit-down meal. I've done both.

Anyway, I've been in talks (tweets) with the guys in the Ad Mare food truck and they said they'd look into it. I'm not holding my breath.

All I want is a french fry box filled with breaded, deep fried clam strips that I can then drown in ketchup. Apparently that's too much to ask for. I suppose I could look into getting the clam strips from the Merivale Fish Market or some place and try to make them myself.

sigh

Eating them in a parking lot is half the fun. Also, arguing with the owners about when they're going to get Coke instead of Pepsi. It's a french Maritimer thing.

2013 Jul 31
Dammit, now i really want some too!

2013 Jul 31
I've never had them and I want them dammit.

2013 Jul 31
As long as we're fantasizing about clams, forget clam "strips". Let's lobby for crispy fried whole belly clams!