using turkey breasts? [Cooking]

2013 Jun 27
Hey folks....soliciting ideas. Had 2 large turkeys in the freezer and needed to free up space.

Ideas on what to do with the turkey breasts? I may try a turkey pastrami with one, but that leaves 3 more and would be a lot of fajitas!

They are 25# birds so they are big.

2013 Jun 27
Krusty,

Turkey sausages for the workshop maybe? You can probably use thigh and leg meat too for sausages.

2013 Jun 27
I recently made Cuban marinated turkey breast with a deboned, rolled turkey breast, thought it was great....cumin, cilantro, coriader seeds, oil, lime and orange juice, mexican oregano and lots of garlic. Of course, black beans and white rice on the side.

2013 Jun 27
season with turkey rub, carefully remove skin. Apply bacon wrap. Replace skin. Smoke. When done the skin is probably rubbery, so get rid of it. Slice for sandwiches. It would probably freeze well too.

2013 Jun 27
Tandoori Turkey T!t

2013 Jun 27
LCBO Food and Drink Summer 2013 English edition has a add-on of turkey recipes titled "Summer Entertaining Tempt Them with Turkey" some good looking recipes in it.

2013 Jun 27
Thanks for the ideas gang!

Last time I raised turkeys they grew really well. Most people want the 15 - 20 pound birds which I got rid of. I ended up giving the 30+ pound birds to a local soup kitchen and kept a few of the 25 pound ones for myself. They should be thawed by tomorrow AM for processing into something.

2013 Jun 28
tortiere, curries, lasagna, chili, pot pie, schnitzel, roulade stuffed with prosciutto and sage, bacon (i would do a wet brine to try and keep moist, then smoke), pulled turkey.

i like to debone the legs, make one into sausage meat and stuff it into the other leg and make a roulade.

2013 Jun 28
Eastcoast chef, any chance you will post the turkey sausage stuffing you make? Or send it as a PM? We are both on calorie counting diets (note to sourdough - judging bbq comps don't count!) and have discovered the joys of turkey as a lower-cal substitute for the gound pork that we so dearly loved. We could use some more ideas on the joys of turkey.

2013 Jun 28
i keep it pretty simple, ground turkey sage, sauteed garlic and onion, and some fat because turkey is so dry...ie. bacon fat, olive oil, butter.

could go with fennel and chilie flakes instead of sage.

or chorizo style, paprika, dried oregano, chile powder, cayenne, cider vinegar, garlic, and olive oil.

2013 Jun 28
How much of each or is it a matter of taste? Those combinations sure look good. I make Thai turkey burgers that we quite like. Topped with a nice fresh Thai style salad.