Ribfest 2013!!!!! Sparks street gets smokey... [General]

2013 Jun 18
The signs are up, the trucks are parked, the grills are starting.... it's that time again.... SPARKS STREET RIBS AND CHICKEN BBQ MASSACRE BEGINS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

Yes yes, i know, i know.... Smoque Shack is better, D&S does it the glorious American way and that is right and good and proper, Zydeco pulled pork rocks etc etc... true, true and more true. Yes, there are awesome bbq places in O-topwn, more now than ever before and we are wonderfully spoiled for choice and i'm happy about it....

BUT(T)....

...for the next five days twenty or so teams of sweaty professionals with fake texan accents are going to be serving up some damn good pulled pork, ribs and chicken (at only slightly rediculous prices, cash only, no beverages sorry) directly in front of my place of servitude, and I, for one, am psyched, hungry, and going to enjoy the f*** out of it.

...and also smell like smoke and rack up a huge dry cleaning bill, but hey, sometimes you gotta suffer for something good....

Thus, this thread for raves, rants, praise, comments and extended and mostly ignored lectures on how proper bbq is only available south of the Mason-Dixon line or something!

Now if you'll excuse me i need to start preparing at the gym and possibly the cardiologist...

2013 Jun 18
Shoot, I forgot about Rib Fest. Totally hitting it for lunch tomorow.

2013 Jun 18
I too will be enjoying every morsel of bbq I eat during the chicken and ribfest. Hopefully lunch one day this week then dinner over the weekend. I wish I had more money and a bigger stomach to eat there every day...

A perennial favourite is Billy Bones but last year I discovered Sticky Fingers which is also awesome. Time to start fasting!

2013 Jun 18
If anyone is into eating contests the Ribfest folks have added "Furious Pete" for a six minute pork eating contest: metronews.ca

2013 Jun 18
I like how they officially changed the name from the 'Ottawa Sparks Street Chicken and Rib BBQ CookOff' or whatever it used to be called to straightforward 'RIBFEST'.

As it should be.

www.sparksstreetmall.com

2013 Jun 18
For those looking for the real deal, may I suggest:
www.hogwildporkfestrenfrew.com

This Saturday, whole hog dinner. I get to judge it before you get to eat it. Renfrew is a short trip from downtown.

2013 Jun 18
Does anyone know who won last year?

2013 Jun 18
Billy Bones was good last year but also liked another one which I cannot remember..

Can you list your favourites to jug my memory please?

Definitely would hit it one day this week...

2013 Jun 19
New User 5508 this is not a real competition. It is predetermined who wins beforehand.

2013 Jun 19
Here it comes again ... Rib Fest talk on OF.

If you look back at the last 3 years of entries you may see a pattern:

1) Pre-event anticipation.

2) Discussion of who's got the best stuff. Lineups etc.

3) Many reviews of saying how ho-hum the food is ... citing things like ... the vendors are cooking for the masses and don't really care about the true quality, just their profits.... product left about and reheated ... dead boring sides.

4) The revelation that it's overpriced for what you get and can do better in a restaurant or at home.

I'm not trying to poo-poo this event but to possibly predict this years entries based on what I've seen over time.

This may lead people to remember the past and save their money for the local economy (local restaurants and local meat purveyors (for home consumption)). I know there is some local entries in the "Contest" to be considered, as well.

Please Note: These observations are based on generalities and an individual's experience may differ.... hopefully.

2013 Jun 19
Captain Caper I agree we tend to have a pattern reviewing the ribfest and I think you pretty well hit the nail on the head. But I don't have a bbq at home so when the ribfest rolls around this time every year I like to enjoy every meaty morsel while I can-;) I don't really like the sides too much so I will often pick up some protein of choice to take home and make my own sides.

2013 Jun 19
Pasta Lover, I am in the same boat. My office is also a block away, so I am going to grab some lip smacking lunch.

2013 Jun 19
@Capn Caper: I'm not trying to say that you're poo-poo'ing the event, but you're poo-poo'ing the event. :)

Hawgs Gone Wild, Sticky Fingers and Camp 31 were my faves last year. Where I buy is partly decided by lineup, but a repeat of 2/3 of those is likely.

Grills were firing this am. Lunchtime starts in a few minutes.

2013 Jun 19
James C. I work right on Sparks and have been able to smell bbq for about an hour now. I wish it were possible to bottle the scent and make perfume with it-;) Enjoy your lunch!

2013 Jun 19
you can't expect competition quality/style bbq from an event like this. that being said it's a nice option to have for lunch/dinner this time of year if you work in the downtown core. it's bbq'd and sauced meat - hard to really screw it up.

pulled pork sandwiches are $7 and of reasonable size/value. shout out to my main man, Billy Bones!

2013 Jun 19
Camp 31 was good too last year as well as Billy Bone. Might need to check out sticky fingers and Hawgs gone wild. uhmm that means at least 2 trips lol

2013 Jun 19

Today's feast was the 2-meat combo, a 1/2 rack ribs and pulled pork (on a side order of cornbread), beans and 'hash' potatoes, courtesy of Florida's 'Hawgs Gone Wild'.

It was all good.

The pulled pork was meaty, almost no fat, loaded w crispy bits and TASTY! They cook it with their 'sweet' sauce but i hit it with a dose of the spicy sauce as well and all was right with the world. Instead of having a sandwich on the usual white bun I had it on the side order of the cake-like fresh cornbread, which was just wrong in all the right ways.

The ribs were meaty rib-win goodness... crispy outside, firm inside in that american style way, not the 'fall offf the bone' boiled style purists decry. A bit sweet, a little heat, didn't even need the extra sauce but it made a good thing goodier. Nice amount of meat on each one.

Beans were savoury bean happiness with lots of peppers and onions worked in.

The 'hash' was mashed potatoes w skin-on and some veg, a bit bland but benefitted from a dose of spicy bbq sauce. Wasn't worth it and i missed having slaw. My bad, i'll know for next time.

Bought a bottle of the spicy sauce because my supply from last year is gone.

All in all, day one was a winner.

2013 Jun 19
Went to Craby's. Captain Caper predicted this post. It had no flavour, was dry, chewy and ugh. Glad I only got a third rack.

Gonna try somewhere new tomorow. Hope for the best!

2013 Jun 19
James C. If you are looking for somewhere to try tomorrow my perennial favourites are Billy Bones, Camp 31, and Sticky Fingers.

2013 Jun 19
Tried Hawg's gone wild as it was the only one with corn bread. Had the two meat (chicken. And pulled pork ) and corn bread. All were verry yummy.

2013 Jun 19
Furious Pete crushed the pulled pork record - over 6lbs in 6 minutes! Not sure which vendor lol

2013 Jun 19
I'm going with Captain Caper on this one. Still, I'm happy they do this every year as it provides some different lunch options but nothing as good as we can do at home in my experience.

I was down there for lunch today and had a half rack at Camp 31. It was fine but nothing really that special. At $13 for a half rack it's also no bargain, though not outrageous.

I always wonder if any of the people working there are actually from the places that they advertise that they are from. Is it totally fake, or just mostly fake?

Don't mean to be too cynical, in the end it's still a pretty good lunch if you chose the right place.

2013 Jun 20
There's usually an owner/operator, pit boss and/or a bbq tech or three who are from wherever, while the 'sale staff' tend to be locally recruited or seasonal.

Am thinking about trying the beef ribs or 'riblets' at Blazing today.

2013 Jun 20
Thanks for the Hawgs gone wild tip. A bunch of us are going down today and that's what I want for lunch.

2013 Jun 20
Did indeed try Chatham ON's Blazing BBQ today.

Have avoided them in the past because others said their food wasn't on par with most of the others, and they always seemed to be out of the beef ribs i craved.

Lucky for me, I was there early today, and beef ribs were there to be had.

They were delicious. Nicely singed, firm and meaty. Arguably less meat and more fat than an equivalent portion of pork ribs, but tasty all the same. Would have these again in a second.

Less impressive was the pulled pork sandwich. Even with extra sauce, it was fairly bland compared to yesterday's Hoggs Gone Wild feast, with no bark at all, and unremarkable slaw and beans. Wouldn't have it again vs waiting in line for some of the others.

2013 Jun 21
FWIW I tried some a colleague's ribs from the vendor 'Swine Fellows' yesterday and they were pretty damn good. Probably the best smoke flavour profile on a rib I have ever had at Ribfest. They had signs advertising they have competed at The Jack - some quick Google searches would seem to corroborate that.

IMO you would be best to avoid Bibb's - every year their ribs seem to be tough like they were cooked too hot/fast.

2013 Jun 21
Pure ribfest win today. Massive lines but the pit crews are hitting their stride so they move fast.

Camp 31. One of my fave from last year, delivered the goods big time.
Pulled pork was delicious, tangy, a little heat, tons of bark, very little fat, on a massive sandwich with solid slaw to add some crisp.

And the ribs. Oh. God. The ribs. This rack was top heavy with meat, charred exactly right across the top with a solid layer of meat just below and another multiple-bite-worthy section on each side… and TASTY. Plus they glaze the sauce on nicely, no need to ask for more. So I bought three bottles.

2013 Jun 21
I believe Swinefellows are from somewhere in SE Ontario. I think they get a perpetual invite for the Jack (Jack is by invite only, there are ways to qualify, but its still up to the organizers on who they invite). I *think* they were one of the first Canadian teams at the Jack and did fairly well. I don't think they've done quite as well since.

2013 Jun 22
At ribfest right now. in between meal time with changing weather the line is not to bad

Blazing bbq and gator aee the onlu ones with beef ribs and the ones at gator are sitting there where blazing told me it is another 25 mim so blazing it will be
currently in line at camp 31

2013 Jun 22
Blazin bbq beef ribs yummm. thanks osolomeal for the heads up

2013 Jun 22
Camp 31 rib and pulled pork combo with a hit of chipotle sauce. bought 3 bottles. this was my favourite last yesr

2013 Jun 22
FoodTravel, where are the two who have beef ribs, the closest cross street? Would like to hit them tomorrow.

Had Hawgs Gone Wild yesterday. Very good pork ribs, $13 half slab. $7 pulled pork which I found too sweet, almost Chinese rib like, so I hit it with their hot sauce (and boy is their sauce hot!). Beans were bland, but nice onions and pepper chunks. I added their hot and sweet sauces and it was a winner. Excellent corn bread. I love corn bread that has a high crust to dough ratio.

Another good thing about Hawgs, smaller lineups on that end of Sparks, far from the main action which is closer to Elgin and Metcalfe.

Would go back for sure, but first gotta get some beef ribs.

2013 Jun 22
Blazin bbq is at west end of sparks opposite carmolito and west of marriot. basically they are the westmost ribber
Gator was middle so prob around occonner?

Would probably go back again tomorrow late lunch

2013 Jun 22
Blazin bbq filling the smoker

2013 Jun 23
Thanks FT, will probably drop by sometime today.

2013 Jun 23
They are only here till 6 and i think a lot will be cleaning up around 5.

Gator has beef rib still

2013 Jun 23
Best sauce
1 Swinefellows
2 boss hogs
3 texas rangers

Best chicken
1blazin bbq
2 boss hogs
3 texas outlaws

Best ribs
1 swine fellow
2 boss hogs
3 uncle sam

Popular choice
Silver bullet

2013 Jun 23
Gators beef ribs, 1/2 rack. Nice and meaty and tastier than pork ribs.

2013 Jun 23
Swine fellows full rack takeout and sauce

2013 Jun 23
I went to the Sparks Street Ribfest years ago, when it was in it's first or maybe second year. I remember I bought a bottle of the sauce, had some when I got home, enjoyed it, and went back the next day to pick up some more. BUT. Each seller sold only one sauce. I decided to compare the ingredient list and the ingredients were exactly the same, and listed in the same order. The only thing that was different were the labels stuck to the front of the bottles. I felt like I'd been had and never, ever, went back. I'd be curious to know if anyone compared the ingredient list on the three winning sauces?

2013 Jun 23
Most have only 1 or 2 sauces. Camp 31 has a range of about 7? Sauces. I bought Camp 31 chipotle bbq, jerk and ragin cajun last year and still have the bottles. I think a lot of then would have water, high fractouse corn syrup and tomato paste as frst 3 ingredients. A lot of them have 7-12g sugar for 2 tbsps. The low sugar jerk has oil as 2nd ingredients. a lot of then have same base as ketchup with more sugar and vinegar. high sugar chipotle has corn sweetners as first ingredients. they may vary a bit on spices and seasoning.

2013 Jun 24
It was not just the first couple of ingredients that were the same. It was the ENTIRE ingredient list, from the first item listed to the last. All the ingredients were the same, and listed in the same order. Therefore, they were all the same sauce, different labels.

2013 Jun 24
Managed one final foray to ribfest this weekend. On Sunday we hit up Michigan’s Billy Bones for a pound of pulled pork and a rack of ribs. The pulled pork was excellent, little fat, tonnes of bark, a few large chunks but overall well shredded and sauced. Their sauce is more tangy, less heat than some of the others, but tasty. Cole slaw was standard but went well on the sandwiches we assembled at home on fresh pretzel buns bought for the occasion (a nice improvement on the usual white bun pork delivery system the ribbers provide).

The ribs were pure ribby happiness in bbq’d pig part form. A perfect layer of crisp caramelized meat on the outside, tender on the inside, usually a solid inch of meat on each side of the bone. Awesome.

And now I need to go to the gym. For like six hours. A day. For a week. Maybe three.

Interesting shift in locations, this year, with more ribbers on either sid eof Kent and fewer back towards Metcalfe.

@FTravel - most welcome, glad you enjoyed.

I only spotted the Gator beef ribs as i was lining up for Billy, but wil make a point of trying them next year.

@felinefan - i've been going for six years since i started working on Sparks and am confident stating the sauces have not been the same, so whenever you did your sauce test was before that at least. It's entirely possible that back then there were only 3-4 ribbers who were essentially the same group, but that's no longer the case.

2013 Jun 24
Also had the 2 meat combo from Billy Bones from yesterday with pulled pork and 1/3 rack of ribs along with Gators 1/2 rack of beef ribs. Saved half of the beef ribs and half of the pulled pork for my dad for take back. All were very tasty and nice bark and sauce on rib and the pulled pork was nicely shredded. I really like the beef ribs since they are meatier and yummy.

Only issue I had with the Billy Bones is the amount of fat. It took about 3 sheets of paper towel that I took as napkins to soak up the oil/fat from the pulled pork after Ribs drained on them. The pulled pork was on the white buns and when I got to them after the ribs the bottom bun was completely soaked with grease so fatty and limp.

Had some good coleslaw and beans from sticky fingers and both were good. Beans were 2 type of beans with onion in sauce and coleslaw was crunchy and tasty.

Did some takeouts of riblets for my dad and a turkey leg from blazin BBQ too. They won chicken but was out of it so figured turkey can be close. The riblets were heavily sauced and a little dryer than the ribs but once heated in the microwave they were pretty decent with smaller bones. My mom had a little bit of the turkey meat without the skin and sauce and liked it but thought it was pretty salty.

From eating at 5 different ribbers, the sauces are not the same.

2013 Jun 25
Decided this year that my knee-jerk dislike of ribs may have been from childhood (bad memories of canadian chinese garlic spare ribs) and so I tried beef ribs from Blazing on Thuesday, and pork ribs from Camp 31 on Sunday.

I can like beef ribs, if they're fresh. Walking home after picking up some Hawgs Gone Wild pulled pork and then then eating, they weren't as warm, and lost a fair bit of appeal.

Pork ribs are definitely a no for me, sadly. But the Camp 31 pulled pork was not soggy, the bread when I finished eating with a fork was only slightly spongy.

Also, I quite enjoyed the soda pop from Alberta, especially the butterscotch and the root beer. The orange drink was sadly closer to McDonalds Orange Drink than anything else.

Thanks for the people above for the beef rib tip!

2013 Jun 25
The soda was tempting but the $8 Ribfest mug was totally offputting.

2013 Jun 25
Asked and all of the soda are high sugar. was interested on the mug but they wanted $8 with or witjout soda so passed. should have found someone wanting refill and split it with them but 8 was pretty outrageous.

Now need to fimd place for lunch on wellington since i got mixed up and elmdale oyster house and back lane cafe are both closed tues lunch

2013 Jun 27
I weighed out how many times I was willing to refill (at $3) and considering it was a BIG mug (with ice, it takes in about 750ml), figured that despite the sugar, it was a reasonable deal IF used at least three times. And if they're there next year, then great. But could not blame anyone refusing it, since there was no other way to have it than the mugs. Then again, those kinds of affairs are pretty much all about the captive audience and high prices...

2013 Jun 28
Helpful hint: you can put an entire bottle of wine in that glass.

You're welcome.

2013 Jun 28
Geez, likely 60-75g of sugar or more.

2013 Jun 28
Dammit Rizak where were you when we needed you????

2013 Jun 29
Other helpful hint: you can do the same with the largest Starbucks cup. Don't forget the straw.