Knife skills course at Le Cordon Bleu? [Cooking]

2013 Jun 18
There isn't much info on the website. They offer a "practical" and a "demo" class. I assume the demo is, you just watch, where the practical is, you do stuff and people help you. I'm more interested in the latter. Although, I noticed the practical and the demo are offered at the same date/time. Does that mean that some people are being helped while others are just watching, at the same time? That's kind of awkward.

Also, I'm wondering what exactly you get to do in the course, if any experience is required, and if you have to bring your own knives?

I filled out an information request on their website and no one ever got back to me.

The other option I'm considering is the LCBO. You get free knives with their course, but I'd still prefer good instruction.

2013 Jun 18
embean I took a knife skills course at the Urban Element a few years ago. We didn't have to bring our own knives and it was a hands on course. We learned how to care for and sharpen our own knives. We also learned how to properly cut vegetables, debone a chicken, and debone and fillet a fish among other things. I haven't been on the Urban Element website in ages but you could always check to see if they still offer it. If not you can try firing off an email to the school since they are always open to suggestions!

2013 Jun 18
Just another thought you could always try consulting the Ottawa Carleton District School Board brochures since they offer general interest courses including cooking courses. Not sure if they offer knife skill courses but it might be worth a try.

Another place to try is Algonquin - maybe their culinary arts program offers something?

Good luck with your search and let us know how you made out.

2013 Jun 18
I'd be interested in your results, too, embean. My knife skills could use work.

2013 Jun 18
I did a demo course at Le Cordon Bleu for Macaroons class back in Mar or Apr.

When it is scheduled at the same time for both practical and demo, both gets the demo from 12-2 with the chef instructors then there is a short break and then the ones who paid for the practical part goes to their kitchen (either cuisine or patisserie) and spend another 2 hours practicing. Likely have the chef instructor(s) and some students helpers there for the practical part.

Due to the kitchen size, likely have maximum of 16 students for the practical part. It seems that demo only is priced around $50 and practical with demo is around $179?

They have also some classes that are only demo or only practical, typically priced under $100.

I was eyeing the class myself and that is one of the one that I would pay for practical I think. I would have paid for the French cookies practical class but they were full before I knew my schedule.

2013 Jun 18
Oh at le Cordon Bleu during Doors Open, I saw the practice kitchen and they are fully equipped. You can use their equipment and knifes while there but you do not get to keep them.

The chef instructors at Le Cordon Bleu are highly trained French chefs and they teach cooking at high levels to their regular students. I have checked into some courses at other venues but the "instructors" are all over the map in terms of caliber. Some are highly qualified but some are not.

Not sure the free knifes you would get with LCBO would be of good quality.

2013 Jun 19
Re: LCBO course, looks like there are three being offered at the LCBO on Merivale this summer. From the website:

SATURDAY, JUNE 29 | 10:30 AM – 1:00 PM
PREMIUM KNIFE SKILLS – $260

Chef and culinary instructor Andrew Skorzewski teaches you how to safely and efficiently slice, dice and chop using premium equipment to create outstanding dishes. On the menu: Duo of Red Snapper and Salmon in a Lemon Thyme-scented Broth with Vegetable Confetti; Mushroom Manchego-stuffed Chicken Breast with Olive and Sage Salsa Verde and Roasted New Potatoes; and a “Rubik’s Cube” of Winter Fruit, Vanilla Bean Sauce and Honey Candied Almonds. Plus, participants will also receive a complimentary Santoku knife, paring knife and peeling knife from Wüsthof-Trident’s Classic Series, along with a wooden cutting board (retail value: over $400).
Hands-on class

SATURDAY, JULY 13 | 10:30 AM – 1:00 PM
BASIC KNIFE SKILLS – $145

Chef Andrew Skorzewski teaches safe and efficient techniques for slicing, dicing and chopping with a range of recipes perfect for using your new knife skills. On the menu: Warm New Potato Salad with Double-smoked Bacon and Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette; Chicken Mango Salad with Jicama and Roasted Jalapeño Lime Dressing; and Baby Arugula, Goat’s Cheese and Strawberry Salad with Focaccia Croutons and Balsamic Cracked Pepper Dressing. Plus, participants will also receive a complimentary paring knife, chef’s knife, and honing steel (retail value: $165) from Wüsthof-Trident’s Gourmet Series.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 10 | 10:30 AM – 1:00 PM
ADVANCED KNIFE SKILLS – $160

Chef and culinary instructor Andrew Skorzewski teaches safe and efficient techniques for deboning chicken, filleting fish, dicing and chopping, with a range of recipes perfect for using your new knife skills. On the menu: Marinated Trout with a Composed Salad and Dill Cream; Pan- seared Chicken Breast with Garlic Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes and Grape Tomato Confit; and Chocolate Ganache Tart with Cocoa Nibs and Tarragon Macerated Strawberries. Plus, participants will also receive a complimentary boning knife, filleting knife and knife block (retail value: over $200) from Wüsthof-Trident’s Gourmet Series.
Hands-on class

2013 Jun 19
For those financially challenged and cannot afford the "PREMIUM KNIFE SKILLS – $260" or chose to buy really good food instead ...

... Is there any recommended YouTube Video's (or the like) which will cover off many of the knife skill's and applications ?

2013 Jun 19
The Cordon Bleu demo is only $50. You don't have to take the more expansive practical (another $129 for $179 total) if you don't want to. Knife skills are developed by lots and lots of practice but good critique helps so I am considering springing for the whole afternoon with the hands on to get the basic grounding to take home but I would be equally okay just taking the demo class.

I am unclear if the LCBO class is selling instruction on knife skills, how to prepare actual recipes or the knifes? It does not sound like a hands on class.

2013 Jun 19
I did a quick search for knife skill videos on google and there were some good results.

In a quick 5 minute search the one I like the best is Jamie Oliver
www.dump.com/jamieoliver/

The epicurious ones are shorter and dry but some tips there such as the one on julienne.
www.epicurious.com

2013 Oct 26
I took the knife skill course at Le Cordon Bleu a few weeks ago. I was only able to register for the demo portion initially ($50) since the practical (demo & practical $179) was all full up.

It started with 1 chef doing the demo section and it started with some inforamtion and tips on different knifes and sharpening. The method the chef preferred for sharpening is to have the sharpening steel on a counter coming up at an angle and then sharpening the knife against it.

We were told about the different type of cuts demostrated on onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and leek. This is where the traditional french training comes in since there were a page and half of terms. Also the chef demostrated turning potatoes into those nice little 7 sided football shaped pieces.

Then we were told to debone flat fish and regular fish, including the best way to skin them for each.

Also in the demo was 2 ways to debone chickens into 4 pieces (2 breast and 2 legs) or into 8 pieces (2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 upper breasts with the drumlet of the wing and 2 lower breast pieces). They also tell you to take the oyster in the back along with the breast.

Then 2 other chefs showed up later in the demo since there were to be 3 classes of 12 each since they have 3 demo kitchen. Fortunately there was a cancellation/no show so I was able to sign up last minute for the practical.

You were given 2 potatoes, some carrots, 1 leek and 2 onions to practice the knife skills and 1 whole chicken to debone. Would have been nice to have gotten a fish too. I have deboned a chicken before but have not done anything with fish. There were some extra potatoes if you want a little extra practice. You can take your stuff home if you brought containers and they brought in some take out containers too to help.

The knifes, cutting boards, apron and hats were provided for use during the class but nothing to take home.

The demo was very much worth the $50 for 2 hours.

I like the 2 hour practical part but with 1 chef to 12 people in the practical, they can only come around a little bit (i.e. less than 20 mins). Also there were nothing done with the things you cut except if you want to take them home and cook with it. My dices were getting a bit more even but I think I was not discarding enough to make them perfect cubes.

This makes me more intrigued about the whole day cusine class in London and I have been asking about them here. They have the course on a Sat (9am till ? pm) and also evenings with 4x2.5 hrs. It seems you do more end to end in your "day". It seems Ottawa does not plan to schedule the whole day one yet but if enough people ask about it maybe they will do the day and/or evening one sometime.

1 day cuisine
www.cordonbleu.edu

evening cuisine 4x 2.5 hr
www.cordonbleu.edu