Anyone interested in trying El Camino Wed June 5th evening? [General]

2013 Jun 1
Want to go back to sample more of the menu and enjoy the atmosphere of El Camino next week than the hit and run take out order Sat.

Anyone want to join me Wed evening?

2013 Jun 2
I'll go! What time?

Glad to say I basically live right around the corner and I'm psyched to try it out.

2013 Jun 2
Maybe 7pm?

2013 Jun 2
I want to join too! 7 pm is okay with me!

2013 Jun 3
If there's room for one more I'd love to join too:)

2013 Jun 3
I'll be there in spirit because I have a meeting. Someone take pictures please. Hope you can taste those beef tongue tacos...

2013 Jun 3
I would be interested in joining the group as well! 7:00 pm works for me.

2013 Jun 3
They are closed today but I will make a reservation tomorrow for Wednesday 7pm.
I might make a reservation for 6 or 8 people tomorrow since the count is currently up to 5
* FoodTravel
* Saurian
* Aisu Kurimu
* Little foodista
* Pasta lover

Blubarry, if your plans change, come and join us.

2013 Jun 3
I would have loved to join you all, but my evenings are kind of crazy this week. Looking farther ahead: if anyone wants to meet up in July, I'm in! :D

2013 Jun 3
Thank you FoodTravel!
I am looking forward to trying food and meeting foodies!!

2013 Jun 3
FoodTravel Thanks for organizing this. I look forward to meeting everyone and trying some tacos as well.

2013 Jun 3
There are other places in the area such as Manx, etc. for a drink after if some of the group is interested in a baby crawl..

2013 Jun 5
FoodTravel: Sounds good! Thank you again!

See you all tomorrow at 7!!

2013 Jun 5
See you guys there.

2013 Jun 5
Any preference for table? by the entrance or deep in the bar on stools?

2013 Jun 5
The table by the door

2013 Jun 5
Oh damn.. I was there but didn't know where to look. Spoke to two waitstaff and they had no idea about any type of meet-up. Said they don't take reservations.

It was probably you guys that I saw at the table by the door. I stood there looking like a doof for a while and finally got embarassed from all the people gawking at me like a turd in a boutique (and probably rightly so), so I left. D'oh!! :(

2013 Jun 5
sorry should have given out my telephone number. yeah tried to make a reservation but could not find the telephone number anywhere including sat receipt so end up getting there about20mina earlier and they held a table for me briefly and i went to table early when it started filling up

Mentioned it to 2 staff and picked the one close to the door.

2013 Jun 5
Thanks Food Travel:) The outing was a great idea! Yummy food, awesome group and fun conversations.

2013 Jun 6
It was a fun night. FoodTravel Thank you for getting a table for us, it was very kind of you. I am still full as a tick.
Saurian: I am very sorry:( Next time I will tell you what I wear, so you will find me!

FreshFoodie: looking forward to meet you in July!

2013 Jun 6
Little foodista is our official photographer for the meet up at El Camino and she took lots of pictures of the food :D

Had a little difficulty finding telephone number to call (including Sat takeout receipt) and no response to an email so went there about 25 mins early to snag a table. If you like to watch the action, I would say the best table would either be the 2 by the open kitchen or the longer center table but it might be more difficult to talk at the center table.

One of the person I met on Sat (who was at Mellos Pop up before) said she would try to hold the table by the door for me even thought they normally do not take reservations but as the restaurant filled up, I went to the table about 10 mins early to make sure we get it. I did tell 2 people that there might be someone asking for Ottawa Foodies but I guess it was not communicated to all the staff.

Sorry we missed Saurian so we were 5 for dinner with
* Little foodiesta + 1
* Aisu Kurimu
* Pasta Lover
* me lol

Started with drinks and chips and salsa while we waited. I ended up trying Muskoka Mad Tom and later had the hibiscus beer Aisu was drinking.

We ended up sharing several starters in addition to the chip and salsa:
* salt and pepper calamari
* crispy prawn batal leaf
* green papaya salad
* crispy chicken thigh with fish sauce

Each of us ended up ordering 2 tacos each and at least 3 of us wanted to order the beef tongue taco but they ran out just as we were about to order at 7:30. Oh well next time.

Green papaya salad was nice and similar to Asian slaw at Suree Lee's in Toronto and I really like the 2 seafood starters with shrimp and calamari. Both lightly fried and full of flavour. The chicken was tasty to.

I had a crispy cod taco and a beef taco. The crispy cod taco is a smaller version of the Mellos one and the beef one was juicer than my takeout one last Sat.

Good atmosphere, good company and flowing conversations..

Some of us continued to dessert at Izakaya for a baby crawl.

2013 Jun 6
Forgot to say had a distant look at the tortilla maker where they tossed a piece of dough and it got flattened and put on the grill.

2013 Jun 6
Sorry, I can't resist any longer ... because My Name is Earl!

2013 Jun 6
Were the tacos good? You mentioned you had them but that's it. Wondering if I should read between the lines there.... :)

2013 Jun 6
I liked my tacos. The fish taco is the smaller brother of the Mellos pop up cod taco which I loved. Just a tad disappointed that we just missed the beef tongue taco bluberry raved about. I had the beef taco for Sat takeout and it is tasty too.

Others can chime in with their personal feedback.

2013 Jun 6
Just to sum up what FoodTravel said:

We started with an order of salsa and chips and beverages while pondering over the menu. The salsa was VERY fresh and flavourful and the chips were nice and not too salty. I managed to score a Beau's Lugtread (one of my favourite beers).

We ordered two tacos each mine being lamb and fish. The lamb was very tender and moist and the fish was lightly battered and also moist both of which were excellent. The tacos are made in-house and we got to see them being made when we peered into the kitchen on our way out. I also spied the corn with cheese and will have to make note to order it next time I go.

We ordered the sides mentioned above. The green papaya salad was my personal favourite and am so glad this resto is only a block away from home so I can get my salad fix whenever I want-;) The salt and pepper shrimp came in a pretty close second for me and the crispy prawn betal leaf and crispy chicken thighs were also excellent. I think each of us had our own favourite side but that does not mean any of them were inferior in quality. Everything I sampled was fresh and delicious and I look forward to returning many more times.

AD_2 The tacos were indeed very fresh and delicious and if you ever have the chance to try El Camino I would recommend a visit.

2013 Jun 6
Nice place...super clean kitchen and staff are friendly. Our server was great indeed...Good service makes huge difference!
Food overall was very good. Very affordable price too.

El Camino somewhat reminded me Izakayas in Japan. Good beer and small dishes.
Quick and easy snack before heading back home.

2013 Jun 7
Salt and Pepper Squid

2013 Jun 7
Green Papaya Salad

2013 Jun 7
Crispy Prawn Betal Leaf

2013 Jun 7
Crispy Chicken Thigh in Fish Sauce

2013 Jun 7
Hibiscus Beer

2013 Jun 7
Sparkling wine