Venison Stock! [Recipes]

2013 May 27
So, I picked up some venison bones and stew meat from the farmer's market last weekend, and after defrosting it, I'm thinking of making a good hearty stock out of it. However, I'm not rightly sure how to go about it. Is it basically the same as making beef stock? I know it's a leaner meat meaning less fat, so do I have to compensate, or do something different with it?

2013 May 27
You can definitely make it w/ just venison bones, if you like. Yes, the venison is very lean so you
can definitely enrich it w/ some veal bones, or even better, pork bones.

2013 May 27
roast the bones for a good hour or so and in the last fifteen minutes rub some tomato paste on the bones. then just throw it all in a pot with some mirepoix and spices(peppercorn, bay leaf, juniper berries....etc) and let simmer for a long time, even overnight.

2013 May 29
So, I did that. I roasted it in the pan with a dab of tomato paste in the last 20 minutes. I also roasted some onions and carrots. Tossed it all in ym slowcooker, used a bit of red wine to deglaze the roasting pan and that in. Seasoning I used a mirepoix, like you said, plus some black peppercorns, a bit of bay leaf, and some fresh rosemary. Strained it out before work after cooking overnight.

Delicious. (Also, the marrow in the bones was a great breakfast)