Smoothie/fruit salads Catering [Food/Vendor]

2013 May 26
Hello, Ottawa Foodies,
We were recently planning to start a new food vendor called Sunny Banana Smoothies. Our plan was to provide freshly squeezed smoothies and other fruit snacks/salads to the Ottawa community.
Our menu would feature list of fruits, vegetables and dairy products ( organic & non-organic) and the customer would pick whatever they would like in their smoothies and also add extra syrups/ additions.
Our main focus is to attract health cautious customers. but at the same time,we would like to provide something that would be attractive to the general public.
However due to some issues we are unable to start the business this summer.

But Since we think the idea is great, we are planning to do catering until next summer. and we want to ask your opinion on how well the Ottawa community would take on that? Is it something people would order to office meetings/ parties/school events, festivals and such?

please let us know what your opinion is?

Sunny Banana Smoothies :)

2013 May 26
Just a suggestion, don't post the same thing three times. One thread is enough for people to answer.

2013 May 27
thank for the suggestion. I am pretty new to this website and just getting used to how things work. The other threads are deleted now. Sorry for the repetitions.

2013 May 27
I think this would be a great idea, especially for school events. For school events however I think you'd have to come in at a really good price point (maybe smallish serving sizes) so that all/most kids could afford the treat.

2013 May 27
I've run a few foodie related fund-raisers now, for kids and for adults. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see a bunch of school kids getting excited for smoothies. Maybe if it was a milkshake cart ;)

There is a reason pizza, burgers & hot dogs work. For the same reason, I can't see adults wanting only smoothies either at a party or fundraising event. Would you expect the smoothie to be instead of a meal? If it is served as well as a meal, it might be too much food, so people wouldn't have room for a smoothie after their dinner. I think at a festival it could work better since there would be more options for people who don't want smoothies. A farmer's market would work too.

2013 May 27
Not sure how the smoothie thing fits with health conscious consumers. Especially with all the recent opinion that juices are not necessarily a healthy thing. I'm with HFF above and can't think of it as a catering item instead of a meal, but it could work at a corporate event or if you partnered with another company at a trade show, where the smoothies (paid for by the vendor) could be a draw to another exhibitor's booth. I've been lured to corporate booths by sliders, mimosas, colored leather baseballs, chocolate strawberries etc., and I think I might also be inclined to sit through a short sales pitch for otherwise boring corporate products if smoothies were on offer in their booth. Whom do you see your product competing with? Jamba? McDonalds has smoothies now too...