Cooking classes: Thai? [Cooking]

2007 Sep 26
Hi,

I am interested in taking a Thai cooking class with a few of my friends -- any recommendations on where I can take a class? I am looking into 'Urban Element', but I was wondering if there were any other options out there.

Thanks!

2007 Sep 26
No ideas on cooking classes, but if you're interested in learning to cook Thai food at home, I can't recommend the book "Simply Thai" by Wandee Young and Byron Ayanoglu highly enough. It's based on the recipes from Wandee Young's Toronto restaurant, Young Thailand, and Wandee is known as the woman who brought Thai food to Canada.

The recipes are fairly authentic and very easy to make, with great results. This is the book that helped me manage my rampant Thai addiction after my student loans began to creep dangerously high from too many visits to Sweet Basil :-).

2007 Sep 26
There is an “Adventures in Thai Cooking” class offered in the City of Ottawa Fall 2007 / Winter 2008 Recreation Guide, I think it starts in January or you can check the cooking classes offered Upstairs at Loblaws, which vary store to store, the class descriptions are online at www.loblaws.ca by specific store.
Hope this helps.

2007 Sep 27
Thanks Vorpal and OF!

Vorpal -- thanks so much for the recommendation. One of the reason's I'm looking into cooking at home is because of my numerous $40+ takeout visits at Sweet Basil. Sooooooooooooooooooooo delicious.

OF -- I will look into Adventures in Thai Cooking, thanks for the recommendation.

2007 Sep 27
Some friends of mine took a workshop at the LCBO on Thai cooking a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still offer it.

2007 Sep 27
Montha (from Siam Bistro) used to give cooking classes out at the Trillium Cooking School, but since Trillium is more-or-less closed I don't know if she still offers them.