Jean Talon Market [General]

2007 Sep 23
As I am soon planning a trip to Montreal's Jean Talon market to peruse (among other things) the cheeses--and because I have not been there for 20+ years---can anyone suggest another vendor or shop that IS NOT TO BE MISSED?

Tell me about your favorites, please.

Kristl

2007 Sep 23
Oh boy... where to start??

Harve aux glaces - I always go for their chocolate cherry sorbet. Yum.
Qui Lait Cru or Hamel for cheese
Grilled merguez sandwiches on a baguette (all dressed, of course) at An-Nasr
La Moutonniere - very tasty feta cheese
Fresh boiled ear of corn from any of the vendors
Fresh herbs of every kind - last time we went, we bought tons of basil and made fresh pesto when we went home... (we also bought fresh pasta at the pasta store on butcher's row to go with it!!)
Wawel bakery has some amazing rye bread - heavy and dense.
Boucherie Milan for veal paupiettes

There is literally something I love at every single store there... not to mention the vast outdoor market.

Just wander around - and you won't be disappointed!!

-M.

2007 Sep 24
Hi Kristl,

I have been reading your posts with interest. When you go to Jean talon you should check out: olive et olive and les depense for their spices and fantastic vanilla beans. Right opposite olive is a small kiosk that sells the most extraordinary stuffed olives. The qui lait cru cheese shop will surely sell you the cheeses you are searching for. There is also a butcher that sells only Quebec pork it is a fantastic shop. On the complete opposite side of the market are two lovely bakers, boulangere premier moisson and pain dore you may find the bread you are searching for there. Atwater market is also wonderful and I find has better charcuterie than Jean Talon. Best of luck in your travels.

2007 Sep 29
We used to go faithfully to Jean Talon when in Montreal but recently visited the Atwater market and may make that our regular stop from now on. I do like the Gourmande magazine shop at JT.

2007 Oct 14
Jean Talon Market is aces...but the MTL'er in me must say that the Atwater Market really trumps JT for cheese...please check out La Fromagerie...you will be so happy that you did :)
138 Atwater Avenue
(Near Notre-Dame)
Montreal, QC
H4C 2G3