Cheaper Pizza [General]

2013 May 7
Is this what they mean when you read 100% pizza mozzarella?
www.cbc.ca

2013 May 7
Cheaper pizza? ha, right. More profits, likely. Lower quality mozzarella, likely.

2013 May 7
Maybe the milk marketing monopoly days are numbered.

First the Mozz ... next the $6 per lb butter.

2013 May 8
Meh. I buy my Stirling butter at GT and it's under $4 a brick regular price, IIRC.

2013 May 8
Cheaper mozza is no big thing. Places like Gabriel's have been using brick cheese and 'mozza-like' cheeses for years.

BTW, who pays $6+ for a half-kilo of butter? Seriously?
Okay, I did a couple of times, and found absolutely no difference.

2013 May 8
If the processors are getting less $ for their mozza then the price of butter may have to rise in order to keep their profits level! Why just last week I bought some of that same expensive Lactantia Country Churned Butter (unsalted and made just down the road from me) at Food Basics for $2.67 ea - I guess I shoulda let you know about the good deal Captain.
Of course the problem with cheap butter is that you tend to use more of it, not a good thing from my Dr.'s pov. Buying the more expensive butter might lead to economizing the use of it, prolly a good thing eh Doc? Ya but cheaper mozza may lead to more cheese an my pizza, maybe not a good thing/maybe not a bad thing? Yikes my head is starting to spin...

2013 May 8
When I do find good butter under 3 bucks I buy 3 or 4 lbs and freeze them. They do freeze well.

So I can't really complain about the cost of butter.

But I can mention my displeasure with any protective marketing board for charging the public artificially high prices ... then buying lots and lots of ads to drive up consumption.

GOT MILK ?

2013 May 8
Stirling butter @ costco 2.99.

2013 May 8
Yup - Costco has the best butter at the best price! Love it!!!

2013 May 8
Which format? 4 sticks or a lb?

2013 May 8
Never found 2.99 butter at Costco. Check your flyers every week one of the chain stores has butter for 2.50-2.75. Saputo pizza mozzarella 1kg bar for 8.49 this week at Costco, thought it was a good deal bought three.

2013 May 8
The butter I bought at Costco today was $2.99, but was Sealtest. I also picked up an unsalted Lactancia (My Country, all natural, cultured), but it was slightly more...$3.69 maybe. I didn't see Sterling in Kanata, but didn't really look very hard.

2013 May 9
It was 1 lb, and usually its Sealtest, but they've also been carrying Stirling at the Kanata location. It comes and goes like all things Costco.

2013 May 9
You guys have this butter thing all wrong... What you need to do is get yourself a cow and some land. Work like crazy from dawn til dusk, and try like the dickens to have enough hay to last the winter. During all this, be sure to milk the cows twice a day, skim the cream, churn the butter, then wash and press the butter. Then you'll have all the butter you'll ever need, and it will probably only cost you about 20-30 bucks a pound when you factor in your time. Oh, wait,,, maybe I've got it wrong. ;-)

2013 May 10
I couldn't find any cows or hay at costco - maybe they were out this week. Do they keep them in the gardening section?

2013 May 13
The meat counter had tons of DIY cow kits, but the guy called security when I asked for the assembly instructions.

2013 May 14
The $6.29 butter I pictured earlier in this forum:

ottawafoodies.com

This week $2.88.

So is $6.29 artificially high (due to Milk Marketing Boards) ? ... or is $2.88 artificially low (due to it being a loss leader) ? .... or both ?

Anyway ... time to make some room in the freezer for a few pounds.

2013 May 14
Little bit of both, I'd say. After speaking with some bakers about the volatility of butter prices, you are best to buy low and stockpile it in your freezer.

2013 May 14
I don't think it can be the milk marketing board in this case - I wouldn't think it fluctuates that much and must be a bit of loss leader. My guess is 2.88 is pretty much wholesale price, given the regular price paid at costco. Definitely stockpile, as nothing freezes better than butter. MMM buttersicles

2013 May 14
Ya the marketing board sets the price farmers receive for their milk but doesn't set retail prices - the stores selling milk & milk products set their prices based on cost from milk processor, profit targets, and marketing strategies that include using loss leaders.
I saw elsewhere the cap'n commenting about milk advertising and want to let him know that farmers pay for that out of their milk checks through their provincial org. I remember my dw having to vote on such issues way back when sales were dropping and people were drinking Coke with their meals and not milk and they had to start marketing more effectively and more expensively. (btw thumbs up to my dw for being the first woman from our county to represent farmers at the OMMB, now known as Dairy Farmers of Ontario or DFO - www.milk.org).
Thanks to dairy farmers for doing what they do every day, making food from sunshine and hard work.

2013 May 15
It's likely that you have bought previously frozen butter before. The demand for butter is up and down. marketing boards keep frozen butter on hand to make sure there is enough supply.