Selling awesome gas range [General]

2013 May 3
I am selling my AWESOME GE "Café series" stainless steel gas range that has 5 burners / 2 ovens / convection. This is a serious, and seriously awesome, cooking tool and in excellent condition. This thing took my cooking to a different level. Honestly.

This stove is not something I want to part with. Ever. But my new house won't accommodate gas and I'm having to switch to induction. This is the only reason I'm selling this stove (and believe me, I've tried everything to keep it).

Price: $2000. Expensive, yes, but, if you cook with passion, this range will not disappoint. Buy it, it will make you a kitchen wizard and you won't regret (I will regret selling it though).

And compare my price to new: the current model is sold for $3200-3500+tx (you can see current Sears pricing here .

Pls note - this is NOT a "Profile" series range. The GE "Profile" series is an entry-level stove and is basically an "Easy-Bake oven" in comparison to this one.

O, and, yes, it's heavy. I can't carry it to your car or deliver it. But if you want it, we'll work out those details (and it won't be that difficult).

See my ad on Kijiji for pix: ottawa.kijiji.ca

2013 May 4
44 Amazon reviews and 16/44 are 1 STAR !!

www.amazon.com

2013 May 4
From the description, the unit being sold is in fact this one: www.amazon.com

1 Amazon review and 1/1 is 5 stars. :-P

2013 May 5
Thanks for the comments. I've had a look at the Amazon reviews and find them a bit odd compared to my own experience. They seem to complain about plastic knobs cracking - mine are stainless steel - or, alternatively, stainless steel knobs overheating. I am an enthusiastic roaster and use my oven frequently at 475-500F and have never experienced "overheated" or even hot / warm knobs.
Another complaint seems to be the powered oven fan. Yes, the stove has one, it typically comes on at temps over 450F. I understand this is part of the temp control system of the oven - and my unit has a very precise (+/- 20F) and very constant temperature (so braising in the oven works superbly), so it seems to work. The fan is certainly audible but mine own is quieter than the range hood above. And, again, it only comes on above 450F.
Other people seem to complain about service. My oven has never malfunctioned in any way so I can't speak to service quality. My range hood did crap out two weeks after installation - I called Prestige Furniture (where I also bought the range) and found the service excellent. The result was a quickly repaired and re-installed range hood.
The last thing I noticed: just about every range on Amazon.com with a rating seemed to be about the same story. Regardless of brand, the longer, more detailed reviews give higher ratings, while the ranters find one issue they don't like and give one star. After my quick survey, I would observe that failure to read the product manual is often a source of one-star ratings.
In any event, if you are interested in buying my range - which I reiterate has been flawless and fantastic in my hands - I'm happy to both walk through its operation and l let you cook on it before buying. Perhaps your own experience will be the best review for you.

2013 May 5
Oh yes ... the one he points to in his ad is a current model at sears, the GE model CCGS985SETSS. I based my research on the replacement model.

BUT .... if FF does have the actual model # being sold, it has a LIST PRICE of $2000 on the GE website.

products.geappliances.com

I know it's in US dollars and it's different in Canada yaddiy-yaddiy ... but come on.

(Difference between first letter in GE numbers is the country designation: J=US (and it meets Underwriters Laboratory (UL) specs) and C=Canada (and it meets CSA specs))

2013 May 5
Hi Captain Caper - the model you link to is wrong. The follow up model that is comparable to mine is in fact priced at US$3299.
products.geappliances.com

The difference between that one (model # CGS985SETSS) and mine (model #CGS980SEMSS) is that the new one has a "tri-ring burner" as the middle element, while mine is a single oval burner.

Always good to compare oranges to oranges, I think. Also, I'm just trying to bring a good stove to the attention to a group that might be interested. It's a model more likely to appeal to the foodie crowd here rather than the more general audience on kijiji. I appreciate you may not be interested - fair enough - but I'd sure appreciate if you could desist from slagging something you're not interested in.

thanks.

2013 May 7
Stove has been sold. Thank you to those who expressed interest.