Caribbean Spots? [General]

2013 Apr 27
Other than Groovis Roti Hut in Vanier are there any other caribbean spots in the region?

2013 Apr 27
There are a couple of take-away spots/groceries on the north end of Merivale. I go by them on the bus once in a while, but can't remember their names. Check the tags ror 'Caribbean' and you might have better luck.

2013 Apr 27
Groovies has the best Jerk chicken in the city period.

2013 Apr 27
Fishy's on Montreal Rd by the Beer Store is good but Groovy's has the best jerk chicken rotis.

2013 Apr 27
check out the Caribbean tag: ottawafoodies.com/tag/42

2013 Aug 14
Try Trini Caribbean Delights in Bells Corners. We go there almost weekly.

2013 Aug 15
I used to like Groovies, but got tired of them not having MOST of the items on their menu.
I will check out TCD for sure, those doubles look great.

2013 Aug 16
The food at TCD is real deal Trinidadian, no jerk chicken or other Jamaican stuff, and well worth the money. He's been selling out of everything almost daily since the word got out. Get there early for lunch, and he's been doing specialty stuff on Saturday like "Bake and Shark" and Curry Duck, if you aren't there when the doors open you probably aren't getting any :)

2013 Aug 18
Thanks for the heads up about TCD, have added it to my list of places to try.

With this in mind, is there anywhere else in town to get oxtail, other than Island Jerk on Bank St?

2013 Aug 18
As TP said a few months ago, Fishy's on Montreal road has it. It's in the same plaza as the Independent and Beer store. Cash only.

2013 Aug 18
I love oxtail curry! My Dad made it many years ago and we all turned our noses up at it. Sorry Dad. I made it this weekend with some oxtail I got from Anderson Farms in a slow cooker. House smelled great for hours. Dedication to eating is required but the joy is in the sauce. Delicious!

2013 Aug 18
Don't you usually stew oxtail?

2013 Aug 19
Glad to see other people buying from Anderson Farms. It's my go-to place for lamb shanks. Nice folks, too.

2013 Aug 20
I went to Trini delights with my daughter today and all the prices on the roti have gone up by $2 because "the cost of meat and flour has gone up", or because they realize they are selling out every day and can charge more money.

Either way, still worth it.

2013 Aug 20
also worth a PSA for later in the evening diners (like moi) ... if venturing out on weekday, best go before 7pm. They were closed the one and only chance i had last week to try them out. :(

2013 Nov 26
Anybody got the lowdown on the new Pixy's Place ? A Caribbean take away shop located at York and Nelson near Loblaws.

A good review on Yelp.

Is it worth my trippin' on downtown ?

2013 Nov 26
Remember Caribbean Flavours that was first on Somerset/Rochester and then moved to Carling? Man, that place was so awesome. When they closed, my heartlight dimmed a little bit. I will have to check out Trini Caribbean Delights. Do they make a roti as spicy as the venerable Frederick White?

2013 Nov 28
I've been to Pixy's, very nice home cooking style-good curry flavour, homemade Jamaican patties-not like the usual dog food kind of pureed meat.
I had a chicken roti, and the people there are really friendly.
My wife has gotten a roti take out here too-I forget what kind she had but she liked it. Definitely worth checking out.

2014 Mar 19
I went to Pixy's and tried the goat roti. It was delicious although I am not used to my rotis containing chick peas (well except for the skin). The goat was tender and savoury, one of the better goat dishes I have had. The roti itself was really good as well. Do not miss the home made hot sauce. Really fresh as it is home made with a great bite to it. The service was exceptional and very friendly.

2014 Mar 21
The last time I drove through bells corner string carribean delights like it had closed :(

2014 Mar 23
Humm . . . I wonder if I can make oxtail curry sous vide ?

2014 Mar 25
Just returned to Pixy's after not getting there thru most of the winter, goat roti, fabulous!