fancy french pastries? [Food/Vendor]

2013 Apr 26
Is there anywhere in Ottawa where you can get fancy french pastries like little mousses and fancy things, kind of like nadege www.nadege-patisserie.com in toronto or juliette et chocolat in montreal? less breakfasty things like croissants and brioche but more dessert-y things?

2013 Apr 26
Pasticceria Gelateria in Little Italy. I've tried two of their mousses (chocolate mocha and a spicy chocolate chili) and they were delicious.

Disclaimer: I have a friend that works there, but everything I've tried there has honestly been delicious.

www.pasticceria.ca/

2013 Apr 26
French Bakery is one but their selection is not huge for the small ones but tend of have a chocolate mousse cake, passion fruit mousse cake and some other stuff. Some of the others tend to have more croissants and brioche.

Would you also consider going across the river?

2013 Apr 26
There are *very* slim pickings in this category in Ottawa. In addition to The French Baker, I'd say your best bets are La Provence in Kanata (good selection and quality) and Art Is In Bakery (limited selection but very high quality).

The other places (especially the Italian ones) have some beautiful pastries, but I have never been thrilled by their quality. The hazelnut gelato at PGI is great though. :-)

2013 Apr 26
Not in Ottawa, but if you don't mind try www.fidelice.ca/gateaux in Gatineau.

I like Pasticceria Gelateria too. Pasty chef's speciality is chocolate...I also like La Provence.

Art-is-in's lemon tart is too sweet for me, but I really like their brownies. I wonder if they still sell it.

2013 Apr 26
When I think of french tarts, I tend to think of pear tart, peach tart, tart tartin . I found Art-is-in's lemon tart a bit too sweet and the chocolate tart a tad heavy.

Just remembered someone recommended Patisserie Delice Royal in Orleans recently. Had been there once before when I took my Dad to the weekend medical clinic next door and bought a fairly decent baguette there. They did have a selection of French desserts there when I was there but not sure about the quality.

2013 Apr 26
Expensive (at least beyond my means) but good are the ones at Ottawa Bagelshop.

2013 Apr 26
i really like www.macaronsetmadeleines.com has a production kitchen in his house....great little spot. i'm sure would be happy to accommodate your needs

2013 Apr 26
Macarons et Madeleines is pretty good too. But they don't have as much ready made of the higher end stuff vs the regular croissants, brioche, etc..

If you are interested in a special order, they could be a decent option.