Cheeses... [Food/Vendor]

2007 Sep 22
Can anyone suggest stores (either in Ottawa) or Montreal that carries an extensive selection of French or Quebec cheeses.

Perhaps I have exhausted the possibilities here in Ottawa--I have been to:
House Of Cheese (Market)
Nicastro (various locations)
Farm Boy

I am currently wanting to explore the soft, very-rich flavourful varieties. I am slowly working my way up to the hard.

Has anyone seen Mont d'Or (or Vacherin) for sale anywhere in the Ottawa area---normally it's a winter thing---I suppose I should have asked when I was at the House of Cheese yesterday...

Kristl

2007 Sep 22
I've definitely seen Vacherin in Ottawa but I don't remember where/when. One very tasty, soft, washed-rind cheese is "Sauvagine" from Quebec. I've seen that one at Farmboy. It is also sold at the Ottawa Bagelshop according to this comment: ottawafoodies.com

I have to say though, that my favourites are the medium-textured washed-rind cheeses, like Oka and raclette. Those are pretty mainstream and they're definitely worth trying in case you haven't.

2007 Sep 22
Thanks for the comment, Fresh Foodie....I hadn't thought of trying the Bagelshop--my old neighbourhood. I just remembered that Costco on occasion has good cheeses at wonderful prices.

But since moving to the country 18 years ago, I have to do my "intown cheese runs" once every 4-6 weeks---last night I picked up about 14 newbies (all from House of Cheese, La Bottega had nothing to speak of). This was dinner, with good, fresh bread. The majority were good, but even the prize winners disappointed with their blandness.

Kristl

2007 Sep 22
If you are willing to wander into the Gatineau/Hull area, there is a place called: La Trappe a Fromage. It does offer a good variety of cheese - my search of bleubrie brought me there.

Of course, if you are willing to travel even further into Montreal - please go to Marche Jean-Talon for... well... everything that has to do with great, fresh, local food and produce. It is a foodie heaven. Go on an empty stomach to sample the food and produce. My husband and I often drive to Montreal for the weekend, and on Sunday morning, go to Marche Jean Talon and get inspired by whatever is there, and drive back home to make a delicious meal. For cheese, you just can't go wrong with a little shop called Qui Lait Cru at the Marche.

-M.

2007 Sep 22
A follow-up for Fresh-Foodie (now that I am at home, near my fridge and can spy at yesterdays cheese buying.

Yes, Sauvagine was among them--my comment on my cheese list was "very creamy. very good, but too subtle. beautiful smooth texture best attribute."

I had "bland" or "very bland" written after the following:
Champfleury (this was the 2007 Gold Winner)
Bleubry - a creamy blue-veined, winner of several Medals
Brillat-Savarin- now this one is mighty rich (75% fat)!!!
Le Vieux Pane- semi-soft, orange-rind
Saint Albray- semi-soft

And my favorites in this soft cheese category were:
Chateau de Bourgogne- very rich, smooth, nutty
Vied de Vent- a Canadian from Ile de Madeleine. Semi-soft with an orange rind. A wonderful, extremely complex flavour.
Reblechon- not quite ripe yet, so I only had a "sneak" taste. Inside should be smooth an runny at maturity.
Sauvagine would fit into this category I suppose, but I would have liked it with a bit more flavour.

And Travel-To-Eat...thank you. Is La Trappe a Fromage actually in Hull or Gatineau? I am in Montreal often- and next time *will* make it to the Jean Talon Market.

Kristl

2007 Sep 22
If you liked the Bourgogne, you'll probably like Le Riopelle, which is probably one of my favourite Quebec cheeses. For a bleu, you should try Benedictine... it's easy to find at any of the aformentioned sellers.

Personally, for cheese, I like the Bagelshop, and Il Negozio Nicastro both located on the same stretch of Wellington, in the Wellington Village. You can occasionally find Back 40 cheese at Nicastro.

2007 Sep 23
Chimichimi,
Yes, Riopelle is a standing favorite...I have bought it at Farm Boy.

Kristl

2007 Sep 23
I think there are 2 locations for La Trappe a Fromage:
200, rue Bellehumeur
Gatineau J8T 8N6
819 243-6411

and

114, boul. St-Raymond
Gatineau J8Y 1S9
819 243-6411

I have only been to the one at St Raymond.

You will love Marche Jean Talon! :) It's the biggest open market in North America... definitely go before the snow falls!

-M.

2007 Sep 29
Hi Kristl, I can understand if you are reticent about buying cheese for awhile after your awful experience.

Costco is now selling the wonderful Champfleury cheese from Agropur at a great price. I never thought a big conglom would come out with such a nice cheese. They also have a Vaudreuil sheep/cow cheese that is very nice; we have seen it at Nicastros on Merivale.

2007 Sep 29
Hi FF,
I would never let a little thing like food poisoning deter me from cheese...in fact I have been happily munching my way through all the remainder of the haul I bought the same evening as the problematic one.

The last time I was at Costco, I noticed a number of interesting cheese selections---and at real bargains. I can never pass up the old standard St. Andre (which 20 years ago? got me hooked on soft, rich, flavourful cheeses)....and the same round at Costo was $3.00 cheaper than I had last seen it at Farm Boy. Which store were you in.

Now that I am in the country near Manotick, the new west end store is the closest.

Thanks,
Kristl

2007 Sep 30
It was the Costco at Hunt Club and Merivale. I really do like that Champfleury; it seems to be widely available (my local Independent Grocer has it) but for $2 or more over what Costco was asking. We always buy the big hunk o' two year old Balderson cheddar at Costco too.

For those going to Montreal, we were really blown away by the lovely cheese shop at the Atwater market last trip we made. I don't recall the name but it was quite a large shop with an exceptional selection. Actually there are two good cheese shops at that market.

We almost never buy cheese at Farm Boy; it is too expensive there. Even their specials are overpriced compared to similar cheese available elsewhere (Nicastros on Merivale for example).