Open House Lanark Highlands Grass Fed Beef [Food/Vendor]

2013 Apr 14
Hey Foodies, Come out and find out about Grass fed beef at a small co-operatively run farm about an hour outside of ottawa. A large 2 acre garden with chicken coops, blueberry patch and 30 100 foot rows as well as a series of 15 acre pastures for the cattle awaits you.

Learn about the health benefits of Grass Fed beef, the carbon sequestering capability of a properly maintained pasture, and how truly solar power food is created.

Our farm is about participation, if you like to get your hands dirty, actually know where your food comes from and if ideas like; sustainable agriculture, appropriate technologies, healthy rural communities, connection to place, the pleasures of good food, good work, fidelity, frugality, and the interconnectedness of life, then maybe you would like to drop by any saturday and find out more.

We see the threats to the good life as being industrial farming, ignorance, greed, violence against others and against the natural world, the eroding topsoil, and environmental destruction, and while we cannot change the whole world we certianly can change the part of the world we have created and that is our farm.

And that change began with the food we eat.

Join us, our farm is open every Saturday. Come out find out what we are doing and we'll throw a solar powered hamburger on the grill for you.

Enjoy

Ken and Judy Toews
RR2 Maberly Ontario
1-613-268-2772

www.lanarkhighlandsgrassfedbeef.c

2013 Apr 14
The OF's usually give lots on 'thumbs down' when it comes to a restaurant (or food event promoter) shilling their wares.

Will they do it to a 'co-operatively run farm' with 'Grass Fed beef' and 'carbon sequestering ... pasture' etc etc. ... AND the promise of a 'solar powered hamburger on the grill' ?

Will see.

("But Capatin Caper ... since they're a co-operative (non-profit ?), this is not a shill." .... Hmmmm ...)

2013 Apr 14
Hi Captain Caper, I can assure you our farm is a "not for profit activity". If the Foodies Gods give a thumbs down to a farm offering people a free hamburger and an opporutunity to be part of creating thier own food, so be it.
Ken

2013 Apr 14
They didn't try to mislead anyone, which is the main problem with people shilling.

This is someone coming in, telling us exactly who they are, and offering something that lots of people here might be interested in. What issue do you have with that?

2013 Apr 14
Captain Caper, don't be an ass! A shill is usually someone promoting a business while pretending to be a customer.

Tasteful, transparent, infrequent self-promotion by local businesses is always welcome here.

2013 Apr 14
Yeah. Being an ass is my job.

Although, you have been instrumental in helping to set definition of how we define these 'shill' accounts. Your confusion combined with FF's spot-on definition should help to keep us all on the bubble regarding that topic.

BTW, I think this open house is a great idea. I sure hope I don't get any cow stuff on my goose down jacket though.

2013 Apr 15
Sounds like a fine event for me, we live out in Lanark County now and get grass fed beef from another supplier - always looking for sources!

2013 Apr 15
"A shill is usually someone promoting a business while pretending to be a customer."

Agreed.

But I am referring to those posts that were straight up about being a business and were "Tasteful, transparent, (and an) infrequent self-promotion".

Some of those got slammed, with enough thumbs to stop all the dikes in Holland from leaking.

With those ... I smell a double standard.
.... and, I'm a bit of an ass !