making wings? [Cooking]

2013 Apr 11
I have a bunch of chicken wings in the basement freezer and am looking to learn how to make delicious wings. So far my fav place is the main street pub in stittsville for them. Half assed wings are not worth eating I dont think. Am open to baking vs deepfrying but I do like them quasi breaded before and then delicious sauce.

Any hints/recipes/offer to make me wings?

Krusty,

2013 Apr 11
2 words - deep fry!

2013 Apr 11
Deep Fry is probably the way to go. You can get a good batter (more of a thin coating than a batter) in most asian grocery stores, makes them nice and crispy. (sorry forgot the name of the product ):

I have always purchased breaded wings (ie. PC Southern Style, or M&M Louisana wings ) and cooked them in the oven, for longer than suggested on the box - to maximize crispyness. Then allow to cool slighty and toss with a mix of PC buffalo sauce and BBQ sauce. They have always been a hit, and many people I serve them to like them over deep fried pub wings...

2013 Apr 11
This is a favourite of mine:

Chicken Wings with Black-Bean Sauce Gourmet | March 2007

Chinese fermented black beans are a bargain—the small amount here packs a pungent, salty flavor that complements the sweet, garlicky sauce for the wings.

Yield: Makes 4 (main course) or 6 (hors d'oeuvres) servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

2 pounds chicken wings
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Chinese fermented black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
Special equipment: a well-seasoned 14-inch flat-bottomed wok with cover

Pat chicken wings dry, cut off and discard tips with a large heavy knife, and halve wings at joint.

Stir together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved.

Heat wok over high heat until a bead of water evaporates instantly. Pour in oil and swirl around side of wok to coat. Add chicken wings and pinch of salt and stir-fry, letting wings sit 5 to 10 seconds between stirs, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add black beans, garlic, ginger, and red-pepper flakes and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir broth mixture, then add to wok, stirring to coat wings. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until wings are tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a shallow serving dish.

Cooks' note:
Wings can be cooked 1 day ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Reheat in a wok over high heat, stirring occasionally.

2013 Apr 11
I don't have fermented black beans so I used black bean and garlic sauce instead because that's what I had. I got that recipe from epicurious and already have another dozen chicken wings recipes saved in my recipe box. I'm sure there are tons more chicken wings recipes on epicurious if you do a general recipe search but I have only tried the one so far. Most of the epicurious recipes seem to call for baking/pan frying.

2013 Apr 11
Provided you are looking for a variation of the "cook until crispy, then sauce accordingly" technique I think you have a lot of different options all pretty good. I love chicken wings in a lot of different ways so I am a little biased (or maybe unbiased!)

Traditional buffalo style - dry wings well, lightly season, deep fry till skin is crispy. Sauce. Alternatively oven roast on med-high heat, basting and turning often.

Double deep fry - almost a confit method. Fry gently in cooler oil, cool to fridge temp, then quickly deep fry in very hot oil. I have read great things about this approach, although I have not really experimented much with it. You could also gently poach or steam wings, then cool, then deep fry for a lighter but similar end result of perfectly cooked to the bone meat, yet blisteringly crispy skin.

Lightly breaded - Dredge in seasoned flour, deep fry till skin is crispy. Sauce. Alternatively oven roast on med-high heat, basting often.

Heavily breaded - dredge in seasoned flour, egg wash, dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs. Deep fry or oven roast accordingly, although I find deep frying works a bit better, as breaded wings have a tendency to get soggy on one side no matter how much you tend them. These can be glorious, but if the oil is not hot enough (don't overcrowd pot!), they can be sludgy and a miss.

Spanish style in the oven - Lightly season and then roast wings in oven over med-high heat, basting and turning at least twice. Simmer about a cup of sherry, splash of sherry vinegar, a minced head of garlic and a generous teaspoon of smoked paprika in a sauce pan while wings are cooking. Baste wings with this sauce regularly over last half of roasting.

2013 Apr 11
Nothing like BBQ wings. I do this one often. www.bbqu.net

Recently tried this and it turned out awesome used drums since large wings seem to be hard to get in Ottawa. I finished them in the oven for a better crisp then added the sauce and veggies. www.tedreader.com

2013 Apr 11
If you want deep-fried style, without deep-frying (for whatever reason) this approach is pretty solid:

www.seriouseats.com

2013 Apr 12
I like this recipe from Alton Brown. It involves steaming then baking the wings. The wings turn out great!

www.foodnetwork.com

2013 Apr 15
Deep fry them. I actually deep fry most of my food in lard and it turns out awesome, especially fries. ~10min at 360 - 370, until golden brown. Toss in whatever sauce you like. Wife likes Diana's honey / garlic, I like Frank's red hot (which you can combine with some melted butter to give it a thicker texture).

2013 May 5
Well yesterday took some wings out of the freezer. Homegrown birds.....6 wings to a pound so they were big and meaty. My small propane burner needs a new regulator so used a single element hotplate outside. It could barely keep up but did the job.

2013 May 5
And of course the ideal beverage for wings....all cascade hops pale ale....

2013 May 5
Rusty the Rooster wanted in on the chicken wings too...

2013 May 6
Those chickens are such cannibals.