Dishcrawl on April 24th [Events]

2013 Apr 9
The next dishcrawl is on April 24th and they will be visiting the Byward Market: www.dishcrawl.com

Unfortunately for me it is the night before my final exam. But if anyone goes I would love to hear about it.

2013 Apr 10
Now they say April 30th. Maybe because A Taste For Life is held on the 24th.
atasteforlife.org

Restaurants are still kept a secret, which doesn't appeal to me.

2013 May 1
Last night I went on the Byward Market dishcrawl and thought I'd follow up with a review for those who are interested.

Our tour started with appetizers at the Empire Grill. They have a new-ish chef (he has been there about a year) and is transforming the menu to Italian steak house. The appetizer plate consisted of a tomato slice and a mozzarella slice drizzled with olive oil and basil sprinkled on top. This was accompanied by a cantelope slice wrappped in prosciutto. I was hoping for something different - maybe a cheese board or something a little fancier.

Our next stop was Haveli's for butter chicken, rice, a side salad, and naan. It was a smaller portion since we had two more restaurants to visit. I'm not terribly fond of Haveli's (mostly not spicey enough) but it was part of the tour.

The next stop was The Grand for pizza. Several different pizzas were provided but the three we had at our table was a margherita, something with sausage, and a napoli I believe. We were provided with a humongous amount of pizzas and the food and hospitality was top notch.

Our last stop was dessert at the Cupcake Lounge. I scored a vanilla cupcake and enjoyed it but I found it had too much icing on top. (I'm not a big dessert eater so take my comments for what you will...)

On another note last night I met two ladies who have been going to the Ottawa dishcrawls since the beginning. Apparently two young ladies were organizing the dishcrawls last year and they were doing a fantastic job often drawing crowds of up to 75 people. But they stepped down and it was taken over by the person that ran the "East meets west" dishcrawl that some folks on this board attended last February. Apparently they weren't impressed and their complaints were consistent with what was mentioned here on OF. The person that organized that one is now on sick leave and was taken over by a new person. I met the woman who is now organizing the Ottawa dishcrawls and although I would not have picked Haveli's she seems to be enthusiastic and open to suggestions.

2013 May 3
I think this is the downside of the mystery of the restaurants on the tour. Of the last 3 dishcrawls, the only one that I would be interested in is Sidedoor with their mini tacos.

2013 May 17
Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself.

My name's Kimberley. I'm one of the organizers for Ottawa's Dishcrawl events. I was looking at the discussions of the recent couple of events, and saw that the restaurants being kept a secret was kind of a bummer for folks.

What I was thinking we could do is perhaps do a sort of "leak" post on OttawaFoodies letting you know what our restaurant choices would be, so people on the forum would be able to know where we'd be going in advance.

Would this be helpful? I don't want to accidentally spam you guys so I thought I'd ask first. Also, if you have any other questions I'm happy to chat!

Thanks!

2013 May 17
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

2013 May 17
Gallimaufry, that would be great! Thanks for joining the conversation. :-)

2013 May 18
Thanks! I'll let you guys know!

On that note, we're having an event on Tuesday that's going to be a lot of fun. We'll be going to Cafe Morala, Von's Bistro, Truffle Treasures, and starting off the evening with canapes and an olive oil tasting at The Unrefined Olive. Hope to see some of you there! www.dishcrawl.com/intheglebe/