Cold Smoked Salmon [General]

2013 Mar 9
Has anyone mastered cold smoked salmon in a Bradley? My new project had a clueless project manager ;-)

2013 Mar 9
Lookup the recipe for Kummok's smoked salmon on the Bradley forums. Tons of discussion on there re: tweaks to the recipe (watch the salt content/brine process), but it's a winner for sure. You will thank me later!

A couple tips based on my experience:

-Ensure the salmon is cut into uniform slices
-Take the time to let the pellicle form - ie a solid amount of air drying after the brining stage. This helps the smoke adhere and also seems to help with moisture loss/fat out.
-Low and slow! You need to slowly ramp up the temperature. A PID works wonders. In fact, the Auber PID for the Bradley comes pre programmed for Kummoks salmon recipe (this should tell you how good the stuff is!). If you get "white boogers" your temperature is too high.
-Use a lighter smoke like alder wood.

Definitely recommend scouring the Bradley forums there is TONS of great info on this subject in particular.

2013 Mar 9
Oh for goodness sakes Captain Caper, if you aren't going to help someone at least do it properly!

lmgtfy.com

Sorry Tree Pug, I have never tried salmon on my Bradley but cold smoking seems pretty easy with it. At least in winter time :-) Even without a PID it seems to hold a pretty constant temperature so just adjust your vents to what you want. I usually let it run 30 minutes to an hour and fiddle with the vents to get it just right, before loading it.

2013 Mar 10
all you have to do is put a tray of ice in between the chip dispenser and the salmon above. and replace it after an hour or so