seasoning burgers? [Cooking]

2013 Mar 8
Gang.

I love me a burger cooked over charcoal. Just wondering if you have suggestions on what to season the patty with? I usually add some Mtl Steak Spice to the mix and press the patties in a patty maker for uniformity.

Open to new ideas!

Moo.

2013 Mar 8
I have always added the following to my ground beef when making burgers

diced onion (the finer dice the better)
BBQ Sauce
Egg
Oatmeal

with a heavy peppercorn crust prior to cooking

2013 Mar 8
Whatever you do, don't salt it until right before you cook it!

aht.seriouseats.com

Personally I stick to the classics. Salt and pepper, or occasionally Lawry's.

2013 Mar 8
What do you have for a patty press? The only thing I've been able to find is the Starfrit ones which are WAAAAYYYY too big.

For seasoning, salt, pepper, and some ground ancho chili, or alternately some of my rub if I have some made up. I'll dig out the rub thread and link to it in a bit.

2013 Mar 8
Hey Zym

I have the starfrit as well and find it perfect by the time it is cooked and shrunk, hence am surprised by your comments.

Never thought of using a rub but that is a great idea too.

K,

2013 Mar 8
Rubs work great, classic salt/pepper is all good, i also like chopped/smashed garlic and/or chopped onions.

Carmelized onions worked into the meat, however, move it from burger to burgasm.

2013 Mar 8
I made a great Thai burger. Garlic, cilantro, lime, fish sauce, and birds eye chili. Not your tradition burger, but it was yummy. Had it on a bun with some Sriracha mayo and fixings.

2013 Mar 8
Pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt crust, fried in a pan on top of a bed of onions.

2013 Mar 8
Salt,pepper,mustard,old shredded cheddar,Worchestire,finely chopped prosciutto works great hand pressed but not worked too much.

2013 Mar 10
Salt, Pepper, Montreal Steak Spice, Egg, Worcestershire sauce and a bit of dijon mustard.