Variable Temperature Kettles [General]

2013 Mar 5
Now that I am enjoying my new Aeropress,(see: ottawafoodies.com) I am looking at getting a variable (or multiple) temperature kettle.

This will be for making multiple cups and to have hot water (at brew temp.)ready for second cups.

So far I see this one from C.D. Paradis : www.caparadis.com

Paradis has same price as Amazon.ca (Amazon.com was 10 bucks more ... strange)

Any recommendations from the Ottawa Foodies ?

2013 Mar 6
the last time I was looking for a kettle, I'm pretty sure Crappy Tire had a variable temp kettle. Scared me off as it just seemed like I'm more thing that would break quick. I've had very bad luck with electric kettles.

2013 Mar 6
Don't you just find it kinda creepy when that exact picture shows up as an ad (on the left) at OF?
I've been thinking of a new kettle too and had checked out a couple variable temp. model by T Fal and Oster at CTC recently. Still haven't bought one as no real hurry and I don't really need to junk a perfectly good kettle.

2013 Mar 6
With a good thermometer and a bit of practice you can hit a precise target temp in the microwave by always using the same volume (500ml) and measuring temp beforehand to decide how many seconds to nuke it.

2013 Mar 6
I purchased the bonavita one here: www.espressoplanet.com and have not regretted it. It even has a 'hold temperature' option that lets you set a temperature that it will hold for up to an hour.

2013 Mar 6
Thanks for your inputs ... so far.

After a little more research:

The Oster 1.7l gets slogged in the ratings ... just about everywhere. I'm staying away from this one.

reviews.canadiantire.ca

The Cuisinart CPK-17 seems to get mixed reviews:

www.amazon.com

Most complain about broken lid, decals fading and a very complex user interface.

I am not really take by the T-Fal one either.

www.amazon.com

I do like the look and ratings of the Bonavita one and it's much cheaper than the Breville ... Thanks Kimberlyand.

Does anyone know who sells the Bonavita kettles in Ottawa ?

2013 Mar 6
BTW a buddy of mine had one of these type of kettles blow after only 3 or 4 years - and JR Perry was able to fix it for him REALLY cheaply.

EDIT: his was "Bravetti Professional"

Forum - Can you recommend a small appliance repair shop?