Food pics from my SEA trip [General]

2013 Feb 12
I just got back from my trip to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and a layover in Jordan and thought i`d share some food pics with you all.

First dish:

Water snake from Siem Reap (Cambodia)

2013 Feb 12
Mix of bugs...tasted like grease.

2013 Feb 12
Bangkok Chinatown random food...

2013 Feb 12
BBQ squid

2013 Feb 12
and for dessert, tapioca with coconut milk with Melon. So GOOD!!!

2013 Feb 12
Banh Bao in Hanoi! i probably ate a dozen in 3 days

2013 Feb 12
We sampled lots of different PHO and they were all amazing. this was my favorite one but i don`t remember the name...

2013 Feb 12
In Hoi An...best Banh Mi hands down in Vietnam...no wonder Anthony Bourdain wants to live here....

2013 Feb 12
forgot the name but its Mix salad with fried spring roll, pork, chicken, vermicelli and herbs. PHo Ba GA LA in chinatown in Ottawa has the best one in town.

2013 Feb 12
Here i am having my favorite dessert in Chiang Mai. Mango with sticky rice in Coconut milk. I could live on this stuff.

2013 Feb 12
Spicy lobster lays anyone?

2013 Feb 12
My daily lunch on the beaches of thailand:

Pad thai with again Mango and sticky rice with Mango shake :)

2013 Feb 13
awesome pics! have been planning a trip to Vietnam, myself. any must eats or must avoids from a foodie perspective? other than the banh bao haha

also is that banh mi cart in Hoi An the actual one that was on No Reservations?

2013 Feb 13
Triple D Nice pics! Not sure if my travels will ever take me to Asia so I live vicariously through your photos. I'm also not sure I'd be brave enough to taste water snake or bugs but good on you for trying them!

2013 Feb 13
I hate you Triple D.

...I mean that in a nice way.

2013 Feb 13
so did you taste the water snake and if so how was it? I tasted rattlesnake once and remember it as quite bland and drenched in tabasco.

2013 Feb 14
The bang mi place is the exact same one that Mr. Bourdain went and it was the best I had in Vietnam. I tried 4 other places from north to south and this place was the best. I was surprised how little tourist knew about this place...I guess it's a good thing.

In Central Vietnam, they have a local dish called CAO LAO and it was amazing. Google it.

Soups in the northern part are just amazing. Just tried all of them...lol

You can try some pretty weird stuff (snake blood shooters, monkey brain, cobra etc) but be careful to not eat endangered animals. Tourist specially Chinese pay big money to eat all kind of endangered animals so just be careful. Short story, we wanted to eat cobra in Cambodia and when I asked the hostel owner where could i find cobra, he said it was expensive and we said that it wasnt a problem and we will pay the price. Were talking 30$ each for a full cobra. So the guy started making phone calls and I noticed this wasn't really a regular thing people did around wich I thought it was. So I asked the guy what kind of cobra they served and he seemed surprised by the question and said "very good" and i repeated what kind? and then he said king cobra. I know my snakes and the king cobra is very endangered and no way I wanted to encourage that so we decided not to go.

Yes we did have lots of water snakes, it was really good actually, Tasted like frog legs . They brush the snake with chillies, salt and lime while it's cooking.

2013 Feb 14
Wow. Looking at that Pho picture, everything I've had in town suddenly looks boring and empty of ingredients. :)

2013 Feb 14
Someone mentioned cao lao. This was taken in Hoi An.

2013 Feb 14
And just to make people jealous: a home cooked meal in Laos.

2017 Jan 15
this is the bun bo nam bo (a kind of noodles) that i had in hanoi, booked a 2 night cruise in halong and they offered a free tour called "walkie foodie", it was awesome! for anyone going to visit vietnam, this would be a very nice idea.

www.bestpricevn.com