Danish Cold table [General]

2013 Feb 6
Hello Ottawa foodies.
We have a bunch of friends coming from out of town this weekend and we are preparing, in memory of a friend of ours, a Danish cold table for Saturday night. We are already preparing Frikadeller (meat balls), does any one know the bestplace to buy pickled herring in Ottawa?
Thanks in advance.

2013 Feb 7
I typically buy my extras like pickled herring, pickled beets, asier pickles at Hansen's Danish Pastry Shop in Toronto on Pape as I am usually doing this feast with GTA family. Also the Danish liver paté called leverpostej. I like the place for its weinerbrød and danish pastries too.

I hope you plan on making rødkål (Danish red cabbage) as well. It is easy and so perfect with frikadeller.

Places to consider checking for things to go with your Danish frokost could be the European Deli on Carling west of Woodroffe (strip mall south side of the road), the Warsaw Polish Deli on Richmond Road just east of Woodroffe, Adam's Sausages and Meats (tucked in east of St. Laurent and North of Innes), European Delicatessen on Merivale, Sausage Kitchen in Byward Market or Swiss Pastries (5 in town).

While you are on the hunt for the pickled herring, you might find you connect with their cheese choices too.

FYI, I dabble in documenting my Danish food experiences on my blog but I am a fan of Marcus's full on commitment to the traditional Danish food over on his blog, Danish Sandwich. www.danishsandwich.com/

I hope it goes well. And you will have to let me know if you find Akvavit.

Skål!

2013 Feb 7
Akvavit I can help with. Every so often, you'll find one of Aalborg's offerings in Vintages. Jubilaeums is showing up in several Ottawa LCBOs right now:

- Rideau and King Edward
- Bank and Walkley
- Richmond and Kirkwood
- A single bottle in the Rideau Centre

Either that or you come to my place! I think I still have Taffel, Export, Krone, Brøndums, and Jubilaeums kicking around from previous trips to Denmark.

And a lot of Gammel Dansk.

2013 Feb 7
Just a guess - Ikea? Danes/swedes/Nords - they're all the same right? (just like americans and canadians)

2013 Feb 7
:D There's pickled herring aplenty at the Ikea, but I'm not sure if it's the best place. Goodness me I'm craving fish and akvavit right now.

2013 Feb 7
I actually really like the IKEA pickled herring, both the mustard and the dill...their might be a third type....

2013 Feb 7
I like IKEA's too. SILL DILL (marinated herring with dill) or the one in mustard - the third type is with carrots and onions.

And another source to add to those Food is Fun mentioned, one I really like: Continental Delicatessen
European delicatessens are my favourite places to shop.
In Montreal and need pickled herring? Boucherie Atlantique, (a great German/Austrian deli) at 5060 Cȏte-des-Neiges: www.boucherieatlantique.ca/

2013 Feb 7
Thank you Momomoto for the good news on Jubilaeums.

IKEA and The Continental Delicatessen are good places to add to the list for sure. As far as lumping us all together, well there are similarities between Swedes, Nords, Fins and Danes but definite differences too. One similarity is loving well prepared, high quality food.

Canuck-boy, I hope you make a remoulade too for the pickled herring. You're bringing back so many memories from my trip to Denmark in October. Take pictures for us!!

2013 Feb 7
"I hope you plan on making rødkål (Danish red cabbage) as well. It is easy and so perfect with frikadeller."

Does anyone like saying FRIKADELLER just for the sake of saying FRIKADELLER ? Just luv how it flows off the tongue.

Q:"What do you want for supper, honey ?"
A:"How 'bout some frikadeller, sweetie-pie"

en.wikipedia.org

2013 Feb 8
Thank you all for the great suggestions.

A Danish cold table would not be complete without akvavit. A few years ago the LCBO stopped carrying Aalborg's products & I sent out a distress email to some friends. A friend who live near Boston actually bought me a case of Jubilaeums. I still have 4 + bottles left. Luckily the problem between Aalborg & the LCBO seems to have been resolved because I have seen some in teh Bank and Walkley LCBO since.

I have found a recipe for rødkål (Danish red cabbage). I hope it will live up to expectations.

I have the remoulade covered. My friend’s Danish wife gave us a recipe for a curry flavoured one.

I did a little more research on my own and found this on The Swedish Club in Ottawa site and the Continental Delicatessen is mentioned there but surprisingly, no mention of Ikea.

Herring:
ABBA’s pickled herring in a glass jar
Pelican Fishery and Grill, 1500 Bank St, phone: (613) 526-5229.

Pickled herring and matjes, which tastes like the Swedish herring
(manufactured by Feature Foods Internat. Inc., Brampton, ON)

Finnish matjes, herring in a small glas jar, brand name Viking
The Sausage Kitchen at 5 BywardMarket Sq, Lapoint Fish at 46 Byward Market Square, Continental Delicatessen at 57D York St.

Oh my, I almost forgot the Danish liver paté. Hoping to find some in the Market.

Eeesh, to say that Danes and Swedes are all the same is not to know rivalry that exists between them :) but as you say they are about the as Americans and Canadians (without the rivalry).

Ah Gammel Dansk, that does bring back some memories.

Well as they say “skål y'all!” (inside joke)!