food/kitchen truths [General]

2013 Feb 3
If you grind your own coffee, you never truly have a clean counter.

2013 Feb 4
No one else in the civilized world can load the dishwasher properly.

2013 Feb 4
I'll never know what it's like to own a dishwasher so long as I don't win the lottery or acquire a sugar daddy.

2013 Feb 5
I'm on my 3rd dishwasher and this was the most expensive at $50. First two were free.

2013 Feb 5
When I was a student living with roommates in a rat infested slum apartment downtown, we had a friend over for supper one night who naively asked us after the meal "Can I help you load the dishwasher?". We did not have ceilings in some areas of the apartment, much less a dishwasher.

2013 Feb 5
A bunch of cilantro lasts exactly one less day than you need it to.

2013 Feb 5
The visual shelf life of garlic, carrots and cucumbers is radically longer than their actual shelf life.

The best before date on yoghurt might as well read 'whenever'.

There is no acceptable answer to 'does this smell okay?'.

2013 Feb 5
You guys are so right Rizak, Brian, OSM.
I might add that no one else washes dishes by hand as well I do (you may replace "I" with your name).
Also, another truth - don't ever watch your buddies wash dishes by hand - you may find out that they don't use soap! Ahhh, that explains the lipstick on my beer glass...
No matter how big your kitchen "everything" drawer is it's not big enough.

2013 Feb 5
Who puts the milk container back in the fridge empty ?

Apparently NO ONE in my household.

Aaaaarrrrrgggggg !

2013 Feb 5
All these observations are right on the money. I didn't realize it but we must all live in the same house!

2013 Feb 5
A bag of rice <- a (the) solution to most urgent mobile-technology problems. (PS, it doesn't always work ... sniff.)

2013 Feb 5
This is from Steven Wright: Sour cream, why does it have an expiration date?

2013 Feb 5
toaster ovens are terrible toasters.

2013 Feb 5
the spice that you need 1/8 of a teaspoon will be in a tiny container at the bottom of a big stack of containers behind many other stacks of containers at the back of the spice cupboard.

2013 Feb 5
more from Steven Wright, and my favorite line: "I made instant coffee in the microwave, it was ready 10 seconds before I started" (sorry not directly applicable to the thread, blame hungry pete)

2013 Feb 5
The more dog-eared and faded the Italian soccer team posters on the wall, the better the espresso.

2013 Feb 5
By the time you get bean sprouts home from the store, they're already on the brink of death.

2013 Feb 11
If you somehow find the time and energy to make all your children's food from scratch, they will always complain that it's not 'store food' like their friends get to eat.

I imagine the opposite is true as well: "If you buy your kids the best foods from the store, they will always complain that it's not 'homemade' like so-and-so's parents make.

2013 Feb 11
My apartment can be the messiest home in the world and I could live with that. But one thing even slightly out of place in the kitchen is enough to cause me grief.

2013 Feb 11
I have so many exotic spices and cooking sauce bottles which I used only once and I don't know what to do with them.

2013 Feb 13
You never use that half-an-onion that you put in the fridge. Plus, the meal could have used the whole onion.

2013 Feb 14
Caramelizing onions takes 4 times longer than the recipe claims.