Start-up Farm program [General]

2013 Jan 29
Interesting new program:

www.justfood.ca

Just Food has received seed funding from the Ontario Trillium Foundation and City of Ottawa to establish a new program to support start-up farmers in the Ottawa region, beginning in 2013. The Start-Up Farm Program’s goal is to enable more people in this region to start their own farm business. This will be achieved by offering program participants up to 3 years of on-site support at the Just Food Farm, including access to land, shared infrastructure and equipment, and training, at a subsidized cost. The program will also support a broader cohort of new farmers by offering training to any new producers in the region, for a per-course fee.

Just Food’s current supports include: free listing on the Ottawa Buy Local/Grow Local Food Guide, a listing of farm interns and farm employment opportunities in the region, and the Savour Ottawa program, an economic development initiative connecting local buyers with local producers. Just Food is also offering the Explorer course in French, starting February 5th, and in English later this spring.

The Start-Up Farm program offers a low-risk way for new farmers to test their business ideas and to develop additional skills, experience, markets and networks before committing to a larger, longer-term farm operation. The program offers an entry point for a diversity of new farmers, including those from a non-farm background as well as new Canadians who may have farm experience in other settings.

2013 Jan 29
I saw that too but have not read it yet.

Any mention of another part of the program to enable people to invest in Farm bonds or something like that? I'd love to invest in a local farmer if I could get a small return over a number of years.

2013 Jan 29
Zym, isn't that a CSA...sort of?

Maybe we should start growing our own spuds?

2013 Jan 29
Well no. Ok, maybe. I want to, say, invest $1000 and get back more than that at some point in the future. An agreed upon percentage per year over an agreed upon number of years.

I've seen individual farms in the area issue bonds that do exactly this, but I've always been too late in discovering them (all sold out). Some of the ones I've seen were pretty generous too at 10% a year.

2013 Jan 30
Zym, I might be doing something like what you are looking for, however I believe it is illegal for me to solicit securities investors in an open forum, so I can't say much about that.

As for the CSA part, Major Craig's is leasing a farm property from the NCC, not far from Just Food, in order to grow the vegetables for the chutneys and other new products (including my new Canadian Black Garlic). Yes, Leasing from the NCC is a nightmare, but the property has some great potential. Part of the funding plan is to have Urban Farm Gardens (can't call it community gardens because of the City Zone by-law). The Gardens will be available to Members of the Urban Farm to grow their own and possibly sell some at our road side stand.

That Being Said, the property is is horrible shape and will need at least a season to rehabilitate. Once the lease is finalized (it's been over a year that I've been working on it with 5 different people at NCC) Then I will start to put out feelers for investors and members.

2013 Jan 30
You know where to find me when you are ready ... thanks

2014 Sep 17
Just Food is holding an open house on Sunday, Sept. 21, this weekend: justfood.ca
They also are holding some workshops, started last weekend but all are already sold out: justfood.ca
The how to grow mushrooms workshop really interests me: www.cbc.ca

2014 Sep 18
Both of our farm interns have been taking advantage of the farm start up workshops with Justfood. They both say it's been very helpful.

We (my two interns, and I) took part via an interview for this project ruminationsongerminations.com and one big problem today is how on earth do new farmers start up if they don't inherit land and don't have the collateral to buy land.

These start up programs and incubator farms are very important.