Canal Food Prices [General]

2013 Jan 28
Hey folks,

I'm taking the Cub Scouts skating on the Canal Thursday (weather permitting by the looks of it) and would like to be able to advise the parents as to the costs of food there in case they want to send their child with money to buy hot chocolate or a beaver tail or something.

Has anyone been and is able to give us an idea?

thanks

2013 Jan 28
I believe Beaver tails are around $5 or less.

2013 Jan 28
zymurgist I haven't been to the canal since last winter so I'm not sure how terribly helpful this is but FWIW: there are concession stands at Confederation Park, 5th Avenue, and Dows Lake. Pretty well all places have hot chocolate and beaver tails for sale. Like sourdough I believe they are both in the $5 range. Hot food is available at Confederation Park - I believe last year they had bbq'd chicken and ribs as well as a couple of other offerings - mostly in the $10 range. I think hot food was available at the Dows Lake end. During the last couple of years the Stone Soup food truck was parked on the canal facing Lansdowne Park. Jacqueline Joliffe was tweeting her menus and hours during Winterlude last year.

2013 Jan 28
There are no food stands set up at Confederation Park yet since Winterlude doesn't start til Friday.

2013 Jan 28
You should call or tweet to beaver tails and see if they are open during the week and in the evening. Since Winterlude hasn't started, their concession stands might only run on the weekends during the day.

On Sunday we went to the stand at Dow's lake. The skate across the lake is nice (as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard). There are washrooms, change rooms & warm areas, plus lots of outdoor seating. Beaver tails range in price depending on the toppings, but $10 would be plenty of money for a snack & drink.

twitter.com/BeaverTails

2013 Jan 29
We were a vendor at Winterlude last year and previous years in the past.

BeaverTails are open whenever the canal is open for skating.
There is also one other type of food vendor open at all of the popular spots whenever the canal is open for skating.

During the 3 weekends of Winterlude, additional food vendors are open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday along with BeaverTails.

$10 per cub would cover a BT ($5-6), hot choc.($2), and maybe a snack($2-3) or maybe a hot choc. for the leader. ;-)