Popcorn Rice [General]

2013 Jan 27
Hey, does anybody know where a person can buy popcorn rice in Ottawa?

2013 Jan 28
I've seen Konriko brand intermittently at the Price Chopper in Ogdensburg; not Ottawa but within an hour.

2013 Sep 23
Try the Kowloon market in Chinatown, beside the packaged lentils.

2013 Sep 23
What is popcorn rice?

2013 Sep 23
Sorry, can't resist :-)

lmgtfy.com

2013 Sep 23
You're right, of course. I should have googled it.

2013 Sep 23
Well in honesty I did not know either and even after reading the first few google hits I was not sure I had the right thing :-) But I still could not resist.

And plus - this site should be the place everyone else stumbles upon when doing that google. So really it should be explained here if anywhere. Yet I still could not resist.

In any case, I learned something new too - and I really want to try this stuff! Does it pop just as easily as popcorn? Basically do the same thing? Or are there special tricks you have to know?

2013 Sep 23
Rice Krispies ?

2013 Sep 24
I think Rice Krispies are made by puffing it, which I think involves an industrial pressure cooker and then suddenly releasing all the pressure at once. But it could end up being similar, I dunno.

2013 Sep 24
I was looking for a rice cannon last year. No luck so far ...

ottawafoodies.com

2013 Sep 24
Here is a blurb from Cooksinfo.com:

www.cooksinfo.com/pecan-rice

2013 Sep 24
So does it actually pop like popcorn or not?

One link said it did. This last link suggests it does not.

2013 Sep 26
Try some in a hot air popper.

2013 Sep 27
theundauntedkitchen.wordpress.com

"Slightly discouraged, I did some more reading and found out that the reason rice is so hard to pop at home is because the outer shell on the rice is too hard so the inner kernel cannot pop out as it does in the case of corn (ie.popcorn). Which is why in a factory setting, a high amount of pressure and steam is used to pop the rice. But most of us don’t have high pressure steamers available to us, and if you do I am jealous. So, I did a bit of research on using cooked rice to “pop” thinking that the outer shell would be weakened with the cooking process and it may be a viable option for home popping rice. After some more experimenting this is the tasty and successful end result!"

2013 Sep 27
But it still looks lik Rice Krispies to me. :-)