Robbie Burns' Dinner? [General]

2013 Jan 15
Any scuttlebutt about a Robbie Burns dinner next week? I know Mill Street is doing one, but looking for something a bit nicer.

2013 Jan 15
Looking for something better than The Mill ? ... Then stay away from the Royal Joke (Oak) ... any of them.

2013 Jan 15
The Cheshire Cat has put this on in previous years if you want to go west. I know the Swan in Carp also used to put it on before current ownership, not sure if they still do it - but check the website.

2013 Jan 15
The Highlander must be doing something... likewise the Glen pub out near Stittsville. Haven't heard anything direct yet though. Wouldn't mind attending something with fellow OF'ers!

2013 Jan 15
I would have thought an upscale place might be doing something in town. Enough funky restos now that you'd expect someone would be taking on haggis.

2013 Jan 15
This just in from the Facebooking of D'Arcy McGee's:

"On January 25, the scotch is on Robbie! Head to your favourite local to celebrate Robbie Burns Day, and sample Johnnie Walker® scotch at special prices! Plus, try NEW Innis & Gunn® Spiced Rum Finish for only $9.99. Matured over oak and infused with Spiced Rum, this beer bursts with vibrant Caribbean flavours, and it comes with a complementary Innis & Gunn® glass!

If that isn’t enough to tempt you, we’ve also got traditional Haggis shenanigans, live music – including bagpipers! - and Robbie Burns poetry readings!"

2013 Jan 15
Castlegarth Restaurant in White Lake is having a Robbie Burns dinner and Scotch tasting. www.castlegarth.ca/menu/

2013 Jan 15
The Masonic Temple on Churchill does a Robbie Burns dinner. Rizak should have the details.

2013 Jan 15
Ouuuu Castlegarth one looks good... unfortunately I'm not sure I can combine a drive out to the restaurant with a scotch tasting.

2013 Jan 15
The Ashton Pub will be "piping in the haggis" Jan 26th at 6pm!!!!

www.ashtonbrewpub.ca/

2013 Jan 15
The Glebe Meat Market makes haggis, and a Scottish friend said it is unlike any haggis she had back in Scotland (in that it is delicious)

2013 Jan 15
Ohh man. That Castlegarth one looks awesome. But unfortunately I see no way of making it out there as I live downtown and do not drive. Would there be enough interest to make an OF event of it though? I could get to anywhere that is bus-accessible...

2013 Jan 15
I too would be interested and also somewhere on a bus route. Like Saurian I live downtown and don't drive.

2013 Jan 15
I am still in isolation with my ill family member so unfortunately cannot attend or offer to drive to the Castlegarth Robbie Burns dinner. It looked so great I had to post it and hope someone goes and tells us about it.

2013 Jan 15
The Westboro Masonic Hall is having a Robbie Burns dinner on January 25th from 7pm to 10pm, according to their calendar.
westboromasonichall.ca
That's what I know. I'll try to get more info by email or phone and post it here. This is supposed to be a great one. The hall manager talked to me about it when we were doing the Holiday Food Fair there before Christmas.

2013 Jan 15
The event at Castlegarth will be awesome. The owners are extremely hospitable, I am positive it will be a good time. Unfortunately, I can't go!

2013 Jan 15
Rabbie, not Robbie.

2013 Jan 16
While it's my birthday and I was named after the Bard, I will be dining on Ukrainian style cabbage rolls like my Ma used to make for my special day, and my 89 year old Da will pipe them in. How twisted is that? Hahaha....

2013 Jan 16
uhmm I remember the haggis I had at a conference in Aviemore Scotland, yumm...

2013 Jan 16
Yeah, I've gotta say that the haggis I had in Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Islay) was all delicious. I am thinking I'll buy me some from the Glebe Meat Market for the celebration.

2013 Jan 21
There is a more formal one for Sen's Fondation choice of charity Rogers House

www.sensfoundation.com

2013 Jan 24
Apparently, the experience at the Highlander Pub is good. Reading of Burns' Ode to the Haggis, a piper, a dude in a suit of armor...

2013 Jan 25
Still available at the Piggy Market if you're looking for tonight:
Haggis, Cock-a-leekie soup and scotch eggs!
FYI, Kyle's Haggis absolutely rocks and I highly recommend it!!! www.thepiggymarket.com