In from the cold dinners [General]

2013 Jan 12
Parkdale United Church at the corner of Gladstone has one every Saturday during the winter months, from 2pm until 5pm. Been meaning for years to go check it out and finally dragged the 3 boys out to it today. Was a really good homecooked potroast, with mash, peas and gravy over it all. No charge, of course. If I go again I'll ask about making a donation - would appear as though they are feeding a lot of people who need that extra little boost. They are even supplying leftovers to take home, along with bags of sandwiches.

Great bunch of people running it, with live jazz music and singing. Really friendly folks.

Any other similar Church or community dinners around town?

There were a few posted in this recen thread

Forum - Christmas Meals for the Needy

Don't go unless you are prepared to be humbled.

2013 Jan 12
Oh yeah, lots of crafts for the kids from 2pm until 3pm

2013 Jan 13
Zym. There is free food for you and your boys at the Parkdale Food Bank.

Didn't realize you have joined the ranks of 'The Needy'.

All the best. Hope your situation turns around soon.

2013 Jan 13
Nope, have not joined the ranks of the needy.

I just wanted to see what was going on there - looked like a really great community service and just wanted to get a closer look. When I was a church-going man I used to wish my church (nearby) had a program like that, that I could help out with. And I especially wanted to go with my boys so they might be able to learn something about helping other people. Been walking past it for years and finally went in to check it out.

And in fact having the 'non-needy" go to things like that is a good way to destigmatize it for someone who might not otherwise go. Like the breakfast programs at school. We've contributed generously to those in the past (along with the food bank), and our kids certainly make use of the breakfast program.

As I mentioned above, if I go again (which I probably will) I'll make a donation to the program.

Was a good time and a good way to remind myself that there are less fortunate people out there. See my comment above about humbling one's self.

2013 Jan 15
Great Post, Zym!
Check what's going on in your community and get involved!

2013 Jan 15
that's right, I know people who go around to the local shops and pick up donated items like Meat from Sasloves, etc. towards this lunch. Other people I know go early to set up the chairs and tables. Some belong to the Parkdale United Church. There's others (Jewish) that have a literacy table of sorts. We collect magazines (and calendars, etc.) for them to distribute to participants.

I beleive one summer they had a community garden so they could make soups with their own grow veggies.

2013 Jan 16
I am pretty sure they will accept donation of money or food.

I volunteered a couple of times at a soup kitchen before traveling schedule make it impractical. One thing I would comment on is that the one I went to had a number of people doing things by hand which could have been made short work of with with a few small appliances. Not sure if it is still the case.